alcohol and intrusive gulity fellings

Guest lol

Hi

Does anyone find that drinking alcohol can increase felings of guilt and bad thoughts. I don't really drink that much, but every now and then I just want to go out with freinds and have a good time. I have had ocd for a while now, and have found the day after a late night after drinking the guilty feelings and horrible intrusive thoughts come back come back strong and I feel awful.

lol

Guest Smudger

Hi lol. :whistling:

That's really common with ocd'ers (although, not all of them obviously). It's definately true for me-if I get drunk I'm awful for days afterwards-panicking, consumed with guilt and fear, worrying what I may have done when I was drunk etc...the list goes on!

The only practical advice I can give is not to drink I'm afraid-I personally haven't found a way around it.

Guest Automated Alice

Hi

yes, I dont drink at the moment, but remember after particularly heavy nights out, I used to wake up with the dreaded"Oh, my god, I cant remember anything, I must have done something !!" :help: I dont think theres anything worse :whistling:

Usually around offending someone, which I normally wouldnt want to do, or saying something really nasty.Then Id worry about it ALL day,usually it wouldnt be so bad the day after that, but i wouldnt normallly rest until id found out for certain I hadnt commited the act, or it wasnt as bad as i thought.

But I think alcohol can make you feel, and make things seem a lot worse than they actually are.

Hope this helps you in some way

Alice :blushing:

Guest Steviemfc

Hi lol,

After a year off the booze I have started drinking again. I tend to find that when I've had a drink I hardly get any OCD symptoms at all, however everyone is different so I would advise you to proceed with caution. It may be an idea to build up your alcohol intake over a period of time and guage the effects.

Stevie

Guest CaptnDan

I've had similar findings as Stevie.. when I'm out/in drinking, I don't tend to feel the OCD as much.

But don't forget that if you stay out drinking and wear yourself out, you're likely to be tired the next day. It's when I'm run down that the OCD gets really bad.

Maybe this is a factor as well?

Hi

Does anyone find that drinking alcohol can increase felings of guilt and bad thoughts. I don't really drink that much, but every now and then I just want to go out with freinds and have a good time. I have had ocd for a while now, and have found the day after a late night after drinking the guilty feelings and horrible intrusive thoughts come back come back strong and I feel awful.

lol

35798[/snapback]

Hi lol,

I think this is a common pitfall many OCD sufferers fall into, they drink to forget the OCD, although in your case it is just to have a nice time with friends which is fair enough. When you are drinking at first it works, but usually the day after it returns big time, I stand to be corrected because I am not a medical expert but I think alcohol acts as a depressant so that would explain your symptoms.

Guest hayley73

Hi Guys

My boyfriend and I tend to have a little drink in the house once a week. To be honest I find it totally chills me out!!!!! We don't get drunk, just a bit tiddly.

Not sure if drink and medications mix though!!!!!

I agree if I feel tired and run down the OCD is definately worse!!!!!

Guest InsaneIain

Interesting topic this. When I was first diagnosed I can remember avoiding alcohol as I was on Clomipramine but after a couple of nites out not drinking I thought why should I miss out because of my condition? Since that day I have drunk fairly regularly (a pint a day on average) & have got leathered a good few times without any ill effects. I can recall in fact when I'd done me back in I was knocking back Ibuprofen & Coproxamol as well as the usual anti-OCD (ha!) medication & went on a 'Leo Sayer' without any after effects. Worth pointing out that there's 21 stone of me mind so not everyone would necessarily react the same way!!!