My friend's edginess/fidgetting/hair pulling

Guest pippy

Guest pippy

Hi,

My first post - I have just signed up. Last night one of my friend's really opened up to me about the fact that he often has an almost uncontrollable urge to pull his hair out - of hisscalp and body. I need some advice please - I really care about this person and am unsure how to help.

It isn't all the time - just if he a) feels a hair that is longer than the rest in his beard b) feel any hairs on his back. He shaves his head and has done for years so the scalp isn't a problem anymore. When he was younger and first grew a beard he pulled all the hairs out instead of shaving. He also used to pull hair out of his scalp up until someone commented that he had a bald patch which shocked him so he stopped doing it. He said when he notices a hair that 'stands out' he will obsess about it until he HAS to pull it out - then he feels relieved afterwards.

He said he thinks it's an OCD type thing but isn't sure. The reason he told me is that his main concern is that he think he's damaged his hands by doing it as he pinches the hairs so hard to pull them out and has developed what he thinks is Repetitive Strain Injury (he works in computers also which adds to it). He said since he was small he's always had fidgety hands and they feel constantly on edge/he can never keep them still.

Does anyone have any similar experiences? Any idea what this could be? Or how I could help? It's a lot to reply to I know but I'd REALLY value any advice.

Thanks,

Pippy

Guest pippy

Hi Kirstie,

Thanks so much for replying. I showed your post to my friend and he found it quite helpful. He says that even just talking about it to me has helped him a lot and says he feels 'refreshed'. I think he's just amazed that there are other people with similar experiences/tendencies.

Thanks again,

Pippy x

• 1 month later...
Guest Montyl21

Pippy I have to say I think its great you want to find out more about your friend here thats amazing great friend you are to have.