Anyone else have constantly shifting OCD?

Guest Kelg

My OCD used to be fairly rigid--I went through hand washing phases, and worrying about all sorts of things, it would stay a certain way for a few years and then somehow shift to something else.

In recent years the OCD has shifted more so--the underlying type of pattern and obsession stays the same-but the ingredients for it changes weekly and sometimes daily. I understand that others have had that as well.

Now in the past couple of weeks I noticed that my mind changes in how I regard the OCD-this appears new.

I have had periods where I have anxiety but no real obsessions, and obsessions with no anxiety, but lately it seems like my attitude towards OCD itself has been fluctuating.

I may be mad about OCD, or suddenly indifferent-or I feel like part of my thoughts have been masked or muffled. Hard to explain.

Sometimes I have to catch myself in what i think so as to avoid falling into an OCD trap but this is different--it is far harder for me to be aware that I am giving into OCD (most of my OCD involves mental activities--thinking of images etc).

Guest summerleft

Ive had OCD for coming up 22 years now, like yours it changed once id got my head around one thing another would appear, something far more scary than the last. I think the longer you suffer the more you think about it and the more it changes

I could think and do OCD rituals without even realising it until i walk away and think 'damn shouldnt have done that, almost trance like' not sure if thats what you mean?

yeah its like a trance sort of.

I think I had intense anxiety last week-lots of things tested my OCD and perhaps it was such a big worry it made my mind kind of mushy.

I even felt a little slow witted which hasnt happened in a while--as if my mind was overburdened.

It is so frustrating-I just had an unexpected OCD flare up--by doing the OCD ritual without thinking I caused the flare up to happen.

Guest summerleft

yeah it happens and its so annoying, i think all you can do is take your mind of it doing something else and just be mindful of what happened and in time itll become less

Mine will jump out when I least expect it--I find that resisting it is a double edged sword-depends on my state of mind. If I try resisting it at the wrong time I fall into a panic.

Sometimes it feels like ocd is a bottle under pressure-if I keep the bottle capped then the pressure will explode eventually. At least that's how it feels.

I remember one time it took me a year to fix an ocd problem-but it stayed in my mind for that long. I dont have enough eventful activities to fill up my mind and perhaps reduce the ease with which ocd can occupy my mind--creating distractions is hard.

Edited by Kelg

Hi Kelg,

My OCD has changed similar to Summerlefts post, & started with hand washing, which I don`t have a problem with now.

Ive had OCD for coming up 22 years now, like yours it changed once id got my head around one thing another would appear, something far more scary than the last. I think the longer you suffer the more you think about it and the more it changes

There must be something that you can do hobby wise to fill your mind. :)

Guest nettles585

walking is a good one even if it feels it wont help. drawing, puzzles a nice film talking to others reading etc there will be something you can do even if it doesnt feel like it :)

I have some solitary activities I can do but because many are visual --my ocd gets aggressive about it so its a bit tricky at times-I have to follow patterns etc.

I was going for walks regularly but my ocd would fixate on the people I passed by--because I am isolated socially the first and last people I see has some significance (at least to my OCD gripped mind). If I didnt see the "right" people are avoid the wrong ones I could find myself walking around until i could satisfy the requirement. It can be erratic as well--sometimes it doesnt bother me other times it does. It got so bad that in a nervous state I attracted the attention of a store manager and he accused me of shoplifting. That was a month ago and I havent left the house since then. I cant break my social isolation and the OCD exploits that.