Magical thinking OCD

Guest J86

I have magical thinking/energy-related OCD, no offense but it causes me to avoid "unhealthy" threads here, like ones about suicial thoughts, zoophilia, incest or something like that.

To understand my energy OCD, if you stand near, lets say a suicidal person or are at a place that the person has just visited, there's a risk that you'll feel depressed and might end up having suicial thoughts, because the person's transsmitted energy enters your body.

I know this sounds absurd.. but i can't dismiss it as completely untrue since we don't know much about how the universe works.. honestly, I'm also a bit worried for posting this. what if something called karma really exists and this post hurts someone's feeling, I end up having suicidal thoughts or zoophilia, incest fantasies as punishment. :huh:

Does anyone else here struggle with magical thinking OCD?

Edited by J86
Guest Charlotte

Hello :)

Although I don't have exactly the same manifestation, at the end of the day OCD is OCD, so I get how you are feeling - it's so frustrating and difficult...

You're right about magical thinking - it's very hard to just dismiss the thoughts. This is where CBT comes in, helping you to learn to live with that little bit of doubt.

I had magical thinking problems around numbers and neutralising thoughts - but thanks to CBT I am much better now (although I'd be the first to admit that sometimes I still struggle with it)

Lottie xxxx

Guest summerleft

yep I have magical thinking OCD which manifests in compulsions

legend has posted a brilliant link, I can say even though as scary as all those thoughts felt, real, nothing ever happened if I moved on and ignored them.

I would agree though it does seem a more rare form of OCD, when I read alot of the books i dont find much relating to magical thinking

Edited by summerleft

Cheers for that link Legend.

I can relate to some of the stuff in there especially thinking the opposite to a bad thought to neutralise it.I've been doing that 1 for as long as i can remember.

But magical thinking is all around us, but the type that we see doesnt bother us.. as an eg we are

told as kids that if we are naughty santa doesnt visit..... so we then start to comply, but im

sure there are kids who didnt comply ( myself included lol) and we still woke up to xmas pressies.

Mg. thinking in ocd, There is a behavioural/ritual problem (compulsion) and its about going against the feelings

and demands, and then taking that leap of faith ( bit like me being a non-conformist as a kid lol)

because unless we try and take that leap of faith, we will never reap the benefits.

legend

I have done the "think the opposite of a bad thought to neutralize it"--but the OCD just moves the goal post and makes it harder-I end up with super complicated thoughts--but ignoring the "bad" thought can be really hard too.

Edited by Kelg

same as washing hands to try and rid ourseleves of the thoughts kelg.... and no mtter how hard we try

the ocd comes back harder. But its a course of action that we need to take, to change that behaviour

to the thoughts, in a gradual process, with the help of a good therapsit, and learning to become our own

therapist along the way.

god i hate ocd

It's hard to think such horrible thoughts which makes the neutralising way out so much easier.Need to break that habit and realise these are only thoughts with no significance.