The OCD House....Story

Guest Wendy

Guest Wendy

Hi, thought some of you would like to hear a story that Prof. Salkovskis told to me :lol:

'Once Upon a Time there was a man, his wife and children they were very poor and lived in a small, old, tumbledown shack.

One day the man found a bottle and when he opened it a genie appeared........

"I can grant you one wish" he said "what would you like most in the world?"

The man didn't have to think for long before he replied "I would love to have a lovely house with many bedrooms, an attic, lots of space and a large garden for the children to play in please."

"Your wish is my command" said the genie and immediately he conjured up a beautiful house with many rooms a fantastic garden and the surrounding views were quite breathtaking!

"This is all yours" said the genie "but, up in the very top of the house, hanging from the attic ceiling, is a small piece of string; now whatever you do, do NOT touch it because if you do the house will vanish forever!"

Well, the man was overjoyed and thanked the genie with all his heart and then ran to his wife and family to tell them the good news.

They moved in and had a wonderful time but, after a couple of weeks, the man started to think about the 'piece of string' hanging in the attic: "hmm, perhaps I'd better just lock the attic door, just to make sure that the string won't be touched,"

so he shut and locked the door.

Life continued with fun and laughter for a few more weeks before another nagging thought entered his mind:"hmm, one lock may not be enough.....perhaps I'll add another...".

Life again continued to be sweet and happy.........But a couple of weeks passed and that nagging thought returned...another door was shut, locked and barred.....

this vein continued until they ended up living in the bathroom on the lower floor. His wife turned to him and said:"I can not live like this any longer I am taking the children and am leaving you!" And she left him alone.

The poor man wept and wept, room by room had been locked and barred and life was intollerable and he couldn't blame his wife for a minute...........

His tears turned to frustration then to anger....He couldn't stand it any longer "I have lost everything" he cried "All because of that stupid peice of string!!" :blushing:

He jumped up and started about the house tearing and clawing down the 'blockades' ripping off the locks from all the doors....the last one being the door to the attic....he threw open the door and stared at the piece of string....he ran up to it and pulled it down and..........................................................................................................................Nothing happened!!!!!'

This story illustrated to me how much 'protection' I had put up which rendered me left in one room in MY house.....thank goodness I hadn't lost everything before I pulled my piece of string!! :censored:

Love to all Beth J xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(I hope I've remembered it correctly!!!!!)

Mmmm, very interesting thought :thumbup:

Have you been treated by Prof Salvoskis, Beth? I'm not his greatest fan from what I've read about him and it would be interesting to know how you got on with him.

Catherine :thumbup:

Guest Wendy
Mmmm, very interesting thought :thumbup:

Have you been treated by Prof Salvoskis, Beth? I'm not his greatest fan from what I've read about him and it would be interesting to know how you got on with him.

37277[/snapback]

Hi Catherine

Yes I have been successfulyy treated by Prof Salkovskis.

(see I No Longer have OCD)

I was one of the three participants in the ch4 documentary and have been home now for a week.

I am sure that I can safely say that all three of us felt that the treatment /therapy that was offered to us was totally amazing!

Paul was a knowledgable, kind, considerate, professional, caring, patient man and has a wicked sense of humour!!! :lol2:

In fact his whole team were fantastic they helped us by 'showing' us the way....

....and were always there....(not for reassurance!!)...but to help guide us through any troubles.

I have no idea what you have read but from my own experience (every day for 2 weeks!!) I found Paul a pretty amazing guy and have nothing but admiration for not only him and his team but his dedication to suffers of OCD.......

Guess that makes me his No. 1 fan?????? :thumbup:

Love Wendy xxxxxx

Guest Wendy
Thanks wendy, I'm delighted to hear your feedback and I will have to revise my views of Prof Salvoskis!!

37309[/snapback]

:thumbup: oooops signed Wendy not Beth J!!!!!

Actually name is Wendy-Beth!!!!!

:thumbup: thanks Catherine

Wendy-Beth!! :lol2:

Guest Creative Cat

Hi Beth,

Wow! That was a GREAT story! I could totally relate to the crippling effect that ocd has by imprisoning us with fear and over-control to reduce the fear.

I will remember this one!

It reminds me of holding an egg. You have to hold it firm enough to not drop it, but not too tight to crack it. Many things in life are like that. The over-control of ocd makes us "crack".

Thanks for sharing,

Marie

Guest SallyB

Beth,

I wanted to thank you for sharing this story with us. It really clicked with me and came at just the right time when I have been having a really challenging time with my OCD. :dry:

In fact one of the messages that I say to myself whilst I am trying to stop myself checking something for the millionth time is "string" to try to bring it back into perspective and it has helpeed.

Thank you so much - the story has been a real lifeline to me over the past few days. :thumbup:

Sally

Guest Wendy
Beth,

I wanted to thank you for sharing this story with us.  It really clicked with me and came at just the right time when I have been having a really challenging time with my OCD. :(

In fact one of the messages that I say to myself whilst I am trying to stop myself checking something for the millionth time is "string" to try to bring it back into perspective and it has helpeed.

Thank you so much - the story has been a real lifeline to me over the past few days. :thumbup:

Sally

37587[/snapback]

Hi SallyB :thumbup:

That's brilliant!

I am truely glad that the story helps :D

But, it's not my story, Prof Salkovskis told it to me!!! I am sure he'd be pleased if it helps anyone....he really cares about people getting the right treatment for ocd. :D

Wishing you the very best love Beth J xxx