Troubling day

Guest Gurstang

Guest Gurstang

Hi folks

today has been a real toughie for me. I had to go to my folks for lunch which ment leaving the house. I couldn't help feeling like such a jerk when after checking every window and door several times and loading everyone in the car i had to get out and check the house again. Even then when we were five minutes away i had the overpowering need to turn the car around and check the house again. Its stupid that i cant keep onlike this, i'm supposed to go on holiday to a Haven camp in May but i know i'm going to screw up the holiday for everyone else. How am i supposed to carry on with my life if i cant even leave the house for a few hours with my family without having a panic attack.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sorry it's been a really tough day :thumbup: . I'd like to say though that it is incredibly brave of you to be taking on all these challenges and says a lot about you commitment towards your family.

To be honest, I've reached the stage where I stretch myself to get out as much as possilbe, but I admit I couldn't cope with a holiday. When I do embark upon a new venture, I discuss the steps in depth with my therapist and it takes a long time to achieve it. Try not to be too hard on yourself, you are trying to lead a normal life and your OCD is fighting it. I'm not sure where you are up to with your OCD journey, but I know I find things much easier when I've told people I have certain difficulties and can't always manage everything the way I'd like to. It helps people to understand why I may not always be able to do certain things, although I must stress that I do attempt to do the best I can. I believe that is all you can really ask of yourself.

I think you'll find your family remarkably supportive :thumbup:

Catherine

Guest ScottOCDid
Hi folks

today has been a real toughie for me. I had to go to my folks for lunch which ment leaving the house. I couldn't help feeling like such a jerk when after checking every window and door  several times and loading everyone in the car i had to get out and check the house again. Even then when we were five minutes away i had the overpowering need to turn the car around and check the house again. Its stupid that i cant keep onlike this, i'm supposed to go on holiday to a Haven camp in May but i know i'm going to screw up the holiday for everyone else. How am i supposed to carry on with my life if i cant even leave the house for a few hours with my family without having a panic attack.

:wallbash:  :censored:  :wallbash:

37297[/snapback]

Hi Gurstang,

Sorry to hear you're on a downer just now. I've been a checker for a decade or so and can relate to your leaving-for-holiday concerns. I've always found that the anxiety induced by checking is proportional to the time I'm scheduled to be away e.g. trip to supermarket - not bad; overnighter at my folks - moderate; week away - get a good book to read and leave me to it :)

I've also found that:

* Stress

* Tiredness

* Interrupted check

* Rush to leave

all contribute to a worsening of the situation.

I gather that CBT or Dr Schwartz's 4-steps would be the likely medium-term plan of attack but for your holiday, how about a checklist that you can take with you?

Not getting out is certainly the worst thing you can do... but I take it from your post that you did eventually leave - if so, good for you!

Cheers,

Scott :thumbup: