My Story

Guest kirk27

Guest kirk27

Hi again, i thought it was time to say thanks for all the welcomes i have had and to tell those interested about my Type of OCD I will also include some history of how i developed it, i hope it will be interesting to you all.

Back in 1993, NOVEMBER (i will never forget the date ,) things were not working out at school, i developed a school phobia, i stayed at home a lot, also around this time my parents were finding it hard to keep up payments with bills and always mentioned in arguments that we could loose our house................

I some how took all these worries on board and combined with the stress i was suffering with the school business somthing began to manifest, this showed itsself one night when i would be cleaning my teeth, As i would clean i would say to my self , that I BET WE WILL LOOSE OUR HOUSE , I BET EVERYTHING WILL TURN BAD ! i dont know why i was saying this i suppose by saying it it would not happen,

The next night i would do the same , and again, and again.

1994 with the ocd now onboard so to speak , i started doing all the signs, the touching , the repeating, rereading, all of this just to keep the DREADED FEAR

IMPENDING DOOM, OR LOSS. away, the years past, i sill did not know what i had but just put up with it as normal, in secret too!!, as the years past other thoughts and things would bug me, always feeling that i am the one who is to BLAME IF A MAJOR ACCIDENT HAPPEND TO ANYONE ,

1997 i am clearing out my attic, i flick through a health factfile and read a card on OCD thats it!!!! .thats what i got!!! the symptoms matched! i ticked the box and kept that card, and it reasured me that i was not mad .

Natrully things came to a head with my not telling any one and suffering in silence in 2000 i could not stop changing my socks, i pulled them on and\of just could not get THE RIGHT THOUGHT ,in my my head, i was manic and depessed later that day, so after, drinkin lots and getting drunk , i took the FIRST STEP and saw my Doctor .

He prescribed anti deprssants straight away, after a while they worked, i felt better and confident, but the OCD held on. the confidance i was experiancing made me want to fight what my brain was doing to me ....................i have been fighting ever since but , heres a thing, i gave up anti depressants within three months :crybaby:

At first i drank with them :censored: in a fit of rage i wanted the pills to be the way out, i saw things as a resault!!! so PLEASE DONT MIX.

As the years have gone buy i have continued to battle the OCD, , intrusive thoughts are the worst, for example , one day i wanted to buy a new cd, i went in the shop, cant choose the one in the front!!!! my brain tells me !! its BAD!! or the one behind!! thats bad too!! and if i ever brought it i could never be able to live with it, every time i look at it i am reminded that somthing bad will happen!! this, for me is a case of the dominant BAD thought jumping in front and changing what you want to do , there have been times when i went to town to buy, but came home depressed and angry that my thought had beaten me to it ,

HOW DO I/WE COMBAT THIS??

I say to myself that the cd i will buy today is protected by a good thought, could be anything a favouite actor, or cat , dog , somthing that makes you happy, point is, put your thoughts first! also say out loud that that thought

is a BARRIER and those bad ones will never get through!!!!!!

I use this method all the time, i could reach in my drawer now and pic out a cd and remember all the Good thougts that protect them.Now its easy to say all this but doing it is another thing.................. but it try it. :)

AND WHAT ABOUT COMPULSIONS ???

Well lets play the ocd at its own game :thumbup: shall we ??, one day i was complelled to do a task (of course, our tasks take time, dont theyboys and girls? i once spent five minuetes pulling a plug in and out of the wall.the neighbour started to knock , i felt stupid and powerless , not only that, i could also of killed myself too, and thats no good is it. :censored:

Anyway i was in a routine once, my heart was beatin fast, i was red and angry and sweat was pouring, the act could not be done!! , I SAID IN A RAGE , I SAID IF I DID THE ACT SOMTHING BAD WILL HAPPEN ,...................i scared myself ....out of the situation, i tought well if i can do this again and turn the whole thing around things can be better the emotions will recead they did ...........try it

I type this now and i am still bugged by thoughts but not to great extent though somedays can be bad , but i keep fighting ,

I welcome your veiws and questions i hope i can help.

Sorry if i have also stated the obvious too :tongue:

Dont forget, BUILD THOSE BARRIERS! and use them!!!!!!

Kirk

Guest tangoblu

Hi Kirk

What an inspiring post :censored:

Welcome to the Boards...

You sound like you have developped some great techniques - intrusive thoughts are so hard to combat - I particularly like the way you turn the thought around...

Have you read Imp of the Mind by Lee Baer? It is a great book and gives a real insight into Pure O.

Keep fighting!

Pam

Guest kirk27
Hi Kirk

What an inspiring post  :censored:

Welcome to the Boards...

You sound like you have developped some great techniques - intrusive thoughts are so hard to combat - I particularly like the way you turn the thought around...

Have you read Imp of the Mind by Lee Baer? It is a great book and gives a real insight into Pure O.

Keep fighting!

Pam

37484[/snapback]

Thanks pam , no i have not read that book, perhaps theres a book in me? they say theres one in everbody. I am glad with the response that i am getting,

Thank you. :censored:

Guest hayley73

Hi Kirk27

Thank you for sharing your story. It made me feel emotional. Your story sums up OCD perfectly.

You seem strong though. I too have adopted the FIGHTING back at OCD. I have learn't never again will I roll over and play dead with OCD it costs you too much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to reading further posts of yours

Guest kirk27

Thank you Hayley,

There is so much i want to do in life, i am 26 and all my friends, and even my brother have acheived things that i am yet to do, i feel a little left behind so this is

the reason i suppose i am strong i hate the fact that years have been wasted,.

even my parent s dont know that for twelve years i sufferd in silance ,

There was a time back in 2001 when i was on top of the world and in fighting form

And the only scary thing then for me is a relapse , i would not say i am the same now, its the fighting just carrying on.

Glad you liked the post.

Hi kirk...........do have a think about a book or article. When I first started to get over a really bad spell a few years ago, I was asked to contribute a chapter to a book (Making Allowances) and it was incredibly therapeutic. In fact I must get around to my sequal :confused1:

Don't dismiss the idea of having something published :)