OCD with Driving

Guest Creative Cat

Guest Creative Cat

Hi Everyone,

I have not posted for a while. I'm very discouraged right now with my ocd. I'm trying to the CBTERP, but I have failed miserably this past week. I'm having trouble with my driving in particular. I'm embarrassed to describe all of the turn-arounds that I've done to go back and check. The ocd has been relentless.

Anyone have any tips on what works for you?

Thanks,

Creative Cat

Edited by Creative Cat
Guest sportlover

hey dont worry..i did a few turn around last night...got caught as i say!! its so fustrating. just before i got to my destination i hit a dreaded big bump...i took a risk..i left it and carried on with the evening..that feeling..went !!! eventually...trust me you can do this..take the risk..its so so hard..i keep screwing it up also but just keep reminding yourself its just the ocd...call it your thing..or whatever...just keep trying..its not about how many times you fail its about trying over and over again...eventually it will click.. when you dont turn round its the hardest thing in the world but your going to have to pass through the eye of the needle before it gets easier....im still not there but i know what i have to do to beat this...im like you im turning round and checking but for every turn around now im driving on..its slowly getting better...rememember take the risk !! you can do it..your not alone..!! ..talk again x

Guest AAAAAAA

I hate driving sometimes.

I always have to think specific thoughts when driving especially when crossing perceived "boundaries", e.g. changes in the road surface, different speed zones etc. If I think an unacceptable thought whilst crossing one of these boundaries, I often have to turn around a cross it again. Only had to do it the once yesterday. But I've seen me literally driving miles to retrace part of my journey.

I also have to return by the exact route that I arrived by, which can be awkward.

I should add, however, that OCD in no way impacts my ability to drive safely and if it did, even remotely, I would not entertain continuing with it.

Edited by AAAAAAA
Guest Creative Cat

Thank you Sportlover & A...

I appreciate the encouragement! God knows I need it. I was doing better over a week ago and this week I just got hit really hard with it. Part of the problem is that when i look in my rear view mirror or side mirrors to look behind me, then I think "I no, I was not looking in front of the car at the moment, what if I hit something" and then it becomes a vicious cycle. Sometimes I try to remind myself "overanalyzing leads to paralyzing" because I become way too over-sensitized to all the minute details of the road and everything around me that I forget to see the "big picture". I need to step back and be less tuned in to everything around me and just focus on the "main task" of driving.

Today is another day. Another thing I also have been doing is checking the accident reports online when I get home. This way i do not have to always go back and check. But, it feels like such a mental trap and also has me hooked. I want to get free of this!

Creative Cat

Edited by Creative Cat
Guest sportlover

Thank you Sportlover & A...

I appreciate the encouragement! God knows I need it. I was doing better over a week ago and this week I just got hit really hard with it. Part of the problem is that when i look in my rear view mirror or side mirrors to look behind me, then I think "I no, I was not looking in front of the car at the moment, what if I hit something" and then it becomes a vicious cycle. Sometimes I try to remind myself "overanalyzing leads to paralyzing" because I become way too over-sensitized to all the minute details of the road and everything around me that I forget to see the "big picture". I need to step back and be less tuned in to everything around me and just focus on the "main task" of driving.

Today is another day. Another thing I also have been doing is checking the accident reports online when I get home. This way i do not have to always go back and check. But, it feels like such a mental trap and also has me hooked. I want to get free of this!

Creative Cat

Guest sportlover

Hi

Not sure, i must of pressed a button there!! opps. Hope your feeling a bit more positive. Its very bewildering. i have recently found a few links that really explained things to me. the driving thing is very annoying as you know in your logical mind that everything is ok. However OCD is not a logical problem and its almost as if part of your brain is throwing a tantrum. If you tend to this (going back and checking) you are legitimsing the anxiety part of your brain and reinforcing the connection that somehting is wrong. Thats why you have to start saying no..im not checking. At first it will be hard..even harder than before as your anxiety brain will have super trantrum and kick and scream but then when you do not tend to it, it will start to quieten down and you will find it easier to continue to drive...You have to go to work on it though..there is no easy way...you have to be committed to feeling that horrible anxiety and awkwardness before it goes down. i hope this makes sense..

im saying all this i know i cant always apply it..keep me posted x