omega 3 connection

I was reading that most people who suffer from ocd and bipolar disorder all have an incorrect balance of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids in their brains. I read on the internet one doctors findings that increasing omega 3 fatty acids helps ocd sufferers a great deal. I'll need to find the site again and post it up on this thread.

Being a vegan I was not wanting to take fish oil supplements but I went out and bought them anyway. Now it turns out that the capsules must have vitamin E in order for the omega 3 to be absorbed properly so I've taken the wrong ones. Looking on other sites about omega 3, it all looks really complicated. I've taken two and I keep getting fishy burps and this will make me really sick and I want to make sure it's worth it. Does anyone know if taking these supplements help?

Hey Dandielion,

I'm a vegetarian and also had hang-ups about taking the fish oil supplements (Efalex i think they are called) and yes the tablets are minging!!

But you do not have to take them. I take a vegan supplement of omega 3, 6, and 9 by a company called Vertese. These oils come from plant and vegetable extracts. They are not expensive and you shopuld be able to purchase them in your nearest Holland and Barrett. There is also a Canadian product on offer in the form of a syrup, but this is not cheap. Doesnt taste too bad though!!

not quite sure what the omega 3s are supposed to do other than improve concentration, but i guess anything is worth a try if it makes you feel better!!

See ya

Adam

Guest THINKINGTHINKINGTHINKING

Hi Dandelion

I take omega 3 fish oils and this time I stopped taking Seroxat (SSRI) I found it much easier. I still got agitated,headaches and confusion but nowhere near as bad as last time i stopped it. Another thing is last time my OCD came back (before taking Seroxat again) I had much worse anxiety than I do now.

Im not taking any meds at the moment and waiting to see Psychiatrist again about having CBT, im not good at the moment cus the OCD has started again but the anxiety is not as bad as before.

I take some tabs called

Pura EPA , they have 300mg EPA , and No DHA

From what I have read the less DHA the better, dunno for sure but guess nobody does yet.

I get mine from http://www.mind1st.co.uk/ 60 for £11.90 + P&P

These seem the best value to me, (if anyone knows better/cheaper/more on how much to take, please let me know!!)

I take 4 a day giving me 1.2g and these already have vitamin E added

Hope this helps

TTT

Thanks Adamski and thinkingthinkingthinking. I read that the vegetarian forms of omega 3 are not effective because they are the short chain of omega 3 and the body needs the long chain omega 3. I read that although the body can change the short chain omega 3 into the long chain form it requires alot of work and that with all the other things we expose our bodies to that it is unlikely that our bodies can change the short chain vegetable forms into the long chain form. It all seems very complicated.

I also read that it's the EPA that is important and not the DHA and that a pure form of EPA should be taken along with vitamin E. But I'm all confused now. I'm going to order the ones that you're on thinkingthinkingthinking and I'll speak to my psychologist tomorrow to see if he knows anything about it.

I don't want to be taking too much either as it says that too much is bad for you :wallbash: Do you get alot of fishy burps TTT? I read that if you start on a low dose and build it up then it shouldn't be as bad.

Hi again

I find i only get the fishy burps if i take the tabs on an empty stomach, try taking them after eating breakfast or whenever you eat. I took 4 right from start cus some studies seemed to suggest that 1-2g is best?

I also eat fish at least once a week, I know you are vegetarian but if anyone else is interested stuff like Salmon, Mackeral and sardines etc are rich in Omegas, even the supplements dont contain as much.

Oh yeh , DONT CHEW THE TABLETS !!!

I made that mistake when i first got them, blerrggghh! :wallbash:

TTT

thanks ttt. I've just ordered 2 lots. I can't believe you chewed them!!!!!!!!!!! That must have been soooo gross! I'll take them after or whilst I'm eating. Do you take them all at once or stagger them throughout the day? I read that a high dose is required too but if they work then it's worth it.

Hi there,

I take mine all at once but some people might be better off staggering them cus can get upset stomach.

Remember tho, they wont cure OCD but they do help my anxiety (I think), don't build all your hopes on them tho. Who knows I might need to take more to get better effect, but they aren't cheap are they!!

I want to know more about this 5HTP stuff, cus I really don't want to take Seroxat again but I know it worked to stop the OCD for me. If its meant to produce seratonin surely it must work a bit?

Im off to bed in a mo, got to get up at 6 for a run then go to work, Im still feeling last night! :wallbash:

Nite Nite

TTT

hi TTT, too late, I got my hopes up last night after reading about it. :wallbash: I always do this and I wish I could stop because it's not helpful really is it? I do have some stomache pains but it's been a very bad day. I ordered some natural pills with 5htp in them and loads of other stuff that helped depression, but I threw them all out when I started on seroxat.

I'll try to find the site and the name of the product for you.

Guest scotty

Hi Dandielion

I have been taking eye q which is an omega 3 fish oil for about 8 months now, i take two spoon fulls a day morning and evening.

To be honest though i wouldnt say its done a great deal for the ocd but i think it may be helping with the depression.

Its worth giving it a go though the more tools you have to fight ocd the better.

Good luck Scotty

Hi again Dandelion

I just read your last message and you said you are on Seroxat, have you just started?

Only that if you have I found after a few months the OCD and being depressed went away! Your anxiety should too

Are you having CBT as well because both times I been on Seroxat I am fine, then when I stop taking it OCD and feeling down comes back? :)

Im going to ask for CBT when I see my doc next, I got some 5HTP today, going to see how that goes as Im not sure if I want to take Seroxat again, best see what my doc says first tho, might have to stop it if they say to take Seroxat and have CBT.

Happy Friday :hug:

TTT