Religion and OCD

Guest rpeders3

Which religion, in your opinion, best answers the problem of OCD?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest rpeders3

Hi all,

I'm just doing some research on world and life views and OCD and how they relate. We can all learn from each other, and as with any potentially 'touchy' subject I trust we'll all be cordial and understanding. We're all in this together. Thanks.

I don't think any religion can answer the problem of OCD, at the end of the day it is down to each individual to overcome and face their OCD head on.

That said, I do think you can take faith from your religion and use that strength and awareness to help you in your quest to overcome your OCD.

hi

I dont think i can really cast a vote on this one, as i cant claim to know too much about about Shintoism and a quite a few others. From reading stuff like Brainlock i appreciate that perhaps Buddhism via meditation may provide a few approaches to help to cope, but i dont think that that ability is exclusively Buddhist.

What about faith in yourself? Now there's a hot potato!!

Adam

Guest twoshoes

sorry no can do as my OCD is fuelled by my religion and manifests sometimes as scruplo...whotsit.

OCD is world wide, I would have thought that if it was helped greatly by a certain religion maybe the countries that have this faith as their primary/most dominant faith would have a lower incidence of OCD.

I believe God knows that I have Ocd and does not judge my thoughts but thats personal, some people think mental health problems are demons and can be cured with faith.

There are so many differences between religions and within religions that I don't think you can group them.

I think a welcoming and understanding approach from a Church, whatever the religion can be helpful.

Faith in yourself seems to be a key. But a Church, Mosque, Temple etc may provide an empathetic sup[port network if it suits you.

Guest Brainstrain

Hi

If anything, I think christianity can fuel OCD but that'sjust my opinion - I don't want to start a riot!

Brainstrain :thumbup:

Hi

If anything, I think christianity can fuel OCD but that'sjust my opinion - I don't want to start a riot!

Brainstrain    :welcome:

I think that could be applied to any religion if that is the case

Adam

Guest Richard-P

Hi

I would just like to add that I am a Christian and I have been healed of OCD through deliverence ministry, I believe I am not the first person on this forum to do so and hopefully I won't be the last.

The Bible gives a world history of how and why things are like they are and it also tells us what God has done about it. Finally it says that it is made effective through faith in Jesus Christ and that through him and him alone all things are possible.

A 40 second prayer in the name of Christ healed me and previous to that I had OCD continuously for about 35 years and my life felt like a "hamster on a wheel".

Now it is normal and I thank God for that.

Richard.

i voted Jedi.

TBH though, i think you'd be as well asking what brand of shampoo you have in relation to your OCD...

I'm glad that faith works well for some, but it's not for everyone...

*gets ready for religious onslaught*

seriously, i don't think OCD picks on any faith in particular, so you'll probably find the poll results will much more likely be down to other factors, and i doubt if OCD will have that much bearing.

Faith is a very personal thing...

i'd maybe guess with OCD that there might be a greater percentage of doubters...

Edited by Guest
Guest Kitty

I didn't how to vote in this - in the end I went for other, though am not completely happy with that. I'm not religious in the slightest but can see how people can be helped by believing and having a faith.

If it works for you then good on you, but it's not for me at all...

Edited by Guest
Guest Baggins

Hello,

I'm an Atheist so I can't vote!

I think if people do follow a religion, the religion may help them overcome their problems. Similarly the OCD may become an integral part of following a religion, therefore it may, in some cases, link to further problems.

Baggins

Guest rpeders3

Thank you everybody for your input. It is truly appreciated. First, I must say that everyone, in my opinion, has a religion - even if it is atheism or practical atheism. That is, if we understand 'religion' to be 'a world and life view'. Atheists, at least the last time I checked, had a way of viewing the world - i.e. certain presuppositions that guide their behavior, ideas, ideologies, etc. I think the essential element that religion can give people, especially those who suffer, is hope. Without hope what motivates us to get up in the morning?

I think the essential element that religion can give people, especially those who suffer, is hope. Without hope what motivates us to get up in the morning?

38558[/snapback]

I totally agree, although I am not a religous myself I do accept that those that are take much hope from their beliefs.