holiday worries

Guest Lisa

hello!

i am due to go to Austria for a few days on a lil holiday with two of my friends next week and i am worried about how i'm gonna cope. i have certain mental rituals that i have to go through at the start of every day that take concentration and privacy and i don't know how im gonna be able to do them with my friends there all the time. and if i cant do them then i will be miserable the whole time cos i'll be worried about something bad happening which i am already concerned about because any sort of minor action i do, like going into a room, i am concerned about there being major consequences, so how am i gonna cope with leaving the country?! i kinda regret saying i'd go, but i was aware that i always invent excuses for not going places (usually because the places have associations with negative things and so i feel i have to avoid them or i mite provoke the bad thing happening) and i thought i didn't have any reason not to go and it would be supportive of my friend who is going to live there for a while, but now of corse i can think of loads of reasons not to go....

i feel like i will have to be extra cautious about things while i am there, sometimes i can identify thoughts as being 'ocd thoughts' and so i won't act on them, but if i have an added reason to be anxious then i will think 'i better do it just in case...' and so i can't avoid doing any of the strange compulsions my mind throws at me...

i also feel that i will come back and then something will happen, like on the news and i will hear some detail that links it back to my holiday and i will feel that i caused it to happen by going away... :D

sorry for rambling, just thought i would tell someone my real feelings insted of pretending i am 'really looking forward to it'

lisa x

Guest Muse_Man

Hi Lisa,

Hope you do decide to go to Austria. You shouldnt let the worry of OCD and compulsions stop you from enjoying yourself! I can see the OCD has already kicked in before you have even gone, you are worrying and doubting in a negative way what could happen. From my own experience of compulsive rituals it is hard to get on with normal life without having to go over and over in my head. :D

Though Im sure you know that it is the automatic negative thoughts and intrusions which cause anxiety and the need to ruminate. Its good to build on letting yourself face the fear and not running away by carrying out compulsions. By facing each doubt, fear, intrusion and negative thoughts you will feel discomfort, but by accepting the discomfort feeling each time you will eventually be able release yourself from the compulsions. It does take time to fully master this and build up a resistance to anxiety, Im doing it at the moment and finding it tough going.

The way you do is to question the OCD thoughts and beliefs that trigger the anxiety and compulsions. Question the negative thoughts and put a positive spin on them. Ignore the intrusive and automatic negative thoughts and think to yourself that you are not responsible for them (like the one below). Challenge this belief, Im sure you know its not physically possible in any way that you are the cause for something like this, be rational, and remind yourself its not possible.

i also feel that i will come back and then something will happen, like on the news and i will hear some detail that links it back to my holiday and i will feel that i caused it to happen by going away... :)

Practice relaxation and breathing techniques to help calm down the anxious feeling inside. All this should help, keep working on dealing with the anxiety itself rather than trying to stop the compulsion as you will go round and round in circles.

Hope you do go to Austria and enjoy the many things the country has to offer and you have a good time with your friends!! Even if the OCD does get bad still try and enjoy the experience best you can as you may not get many opportunities to do it again. Try not to run away and hide from your worries!

Stuart :)

Guest kirk27

A sudden distraction can help, being removed from your currrent situation can throw ocd into confusion, Try not to worry about what you feel you have to do when you get there, Maybe you could look at this trip of a way of combating the problem , this is a good suggestion, think a break will do you good its like being plucked from a bad situation. natrully you are worried becuase you are taking the unwelcome rituals with you, but like mentioned in other posts here, try to enjoy the break look on it as somthing possitive and being brave enough to say that ocd will not interupt your enjoyment (easier said ) but try it, :mad:

Nothing bad will happen :)

Enjoy your holiday :)

Guest Marcus

I have loads and loads of ruminations like you. In fact I have been going through a bad period myself.

I have noticed that I tend to get more OCD before holidays. I really recommend that you go ahead with the trip, however as we can't let the thoughts win. How would it be for you to allow the thoughts to come and go and do nothing to oppose them? Its very very frightening but in the end they get bored and go away.

Can you go on the holiday without expectation that you have to have a good time?

If you have expectations that the holiday must be great, maybe this will make you more stressed?

Good luck.

Guest kirk27

Can i just say i agree with everything Marcus has said :)

not only is ocd an pain but somtimes finding enough energy and good thought is tiring too.

But we still do this as we are frightened, what will happen .

the past week i have decided to ignore thoughts, this is tricky as i am so used

to interacting with them (wich can help somtimes and wich i have advised in the past)But i was up for the change and i admit its been a very patchy time....but i want to carry on after all...........

...........as marcus says we cant let those thoughts win

Get on the plane and smile :mad: