Awful OCD Article

This appeared in Real magazine recently (thanks to Patsy for sending it me).

We have contacted the magazine and offered them the 'correct' facts about OCD and pointed out the errors in their article. It starts out great, but after Dr Veale's comments it becomes a farce.

I have to say I don't for one second think that David was at fault for some of these facts in the article, if I was to guess I would say that Dr Lefever 'addiction' clinic was the main source for the bad information.

post-1-1112742343_thumb.jpg

Hi Ashley

What did you find incorrect? Was it the references to 'addiction' and the comments about parents' history of manic depression or alcoholism?

Hi Ashley

What did you find incorrect? Was it the references to 'addiction' and the comments about parents' history of manic depression or alcoholism?

38385[/snapback]

Well for starters I have never heard of OCD and substance abuse running together. Of course it may have happened with 1 or maybe even 2 cases but bit of a generalised comment. The same with OCD and ADHD not sure I have heard of the two running so closely together.

Then of course the addiction reference and parents' history of manic depression or alcoholism. Again this maybe the case in one or two but I am willing to bet that out of the nearly 1000 OCD sufferers on this board we can count the case of parents who are like that on 1 or 2 hands.

I am afraid I feel apart from David, the rest of the comments on this article come from people who maybe know a little about OCD but thats it... what is it they say, a little knowledge is dangerous?

Guest Brainstrain

Hi Ashie,

I agree and I am quite angry actually. I would like to have a chat with Dr Lefever! How can intrusive thoughts coming into your head and scaring the **** out of you for days be the same as being addicted to drugs???? 'OCD is like any other addiction and therefore should be treated as so' YEAH RIGHT!!!!!

Brainstrain :mad:

Guest flower

i know what you mean! i thiuoght that the quote 'once people relisse they hav an illness, much like some people discover they have diabetes, they dont feel so removed and isloated from society'. well when i found out i had OCD i felt even more isloated! and my sister has diabetes and she feels the same way. im sure they have no idea what it feels like and its a load of **** what they wrote.

and how can be be related to substance abuse. i refuse to take drugs because i want the probelsm that occour when you take, etc.

and i agree with brainstorm, OCD is not like a addiction :mad:

Hi Ashie,

I agree and I am quite angry actually.  I would like to have a chat with Dr Lefever!  How can intrusive thoughts coming into your head and scaring the **** out of you for days be the same as being addicted to drugs???? 'OCD is like any other addiction and therefore should be treated as so' YEAH RIGHT!!!!!

Brainstrain  :)

38392[/snapback]

As a non-sufferer, if I didn't know anything at all about OCD, after reading this article at best I'd still be confused and at worst I would come away with the impression that it's somehow linked with celebs and addictions.

There are a few good points, but I think it was very badly put together - the writer seems to have thrown everything in without having any real understanding themselves. I would have liked to hear more from Abigail (the sufferer) and a lot less from Dr Lefever.

It's an opportunity missed, sadly, since these mags must have a large readership (my daughters buy them by the truckload, anyway :) ). If they can't get their facts right, though, maybe they should stick to articles about celebrity cellulite... :mad:

Rose

A short sighted article in terms of the addictions/family history/adhd points. As much as i would like to think that one day i will be able to walk into any job and say look i've got ocd and the response would be fine...it is after all an illness like any other illness....there clearly is still some work to be done. The doctors comments on that respect are almost utopian!!

Adam

Guest summerleft

It seems what has happened with the article is its been cut short to fit to a page.

I didnt feel any anger or annoyance towards the article i just think that peices were taken without much explanation, but then if a scientific, accurate and therefore long article was written i doubt many ' real ' readers would read it all.

But truthfully a magazine like that tends to sensationalize , and wants shock tatic to sell copies.

I hope this doesnt offend anyone, just putting my thoughts across.

:wallbash: