NO!

Guest Jalvo

Guest Jalvo

At the moment we're watching the TV-series Monk (the detective who's got OCD) on DVD while we're having dinner. I bought my girl the two seasons for her birthday; she loves Monk.

It's a nice series really, I enjoy it a lot, eventhough Monk must suffer from a bit more than OCD. He's totally antisocial, nearly retarded sometimes, but it's all right to me. I like it a lot anyway.

Well..... the point is that Monk is showing on TV here at the moment as well and most of my girlfriend's friends are watching it. Some of them know that I have OCD.

Now... one of them invited us over for a graduation party in May and this friend just asked if I could eat food which somebody else prepared........

Come on! She's even a graduating as a psychologist.

Fine, I know that this could be a problem for many with OCD, but here she's basing everything on this series; a series which shows a totally exagerrated picture of OCD; eventhough I'll have to mention that I would freak out by some of the stuff Monk does; sometimes it doesn't make sense (but OCD never did); I guess only a person with OCD could act in, or direct a film/series about OCD.

It seems like that they add a LOT of weird stuffand forget about the common stuff.

And this is where my girlfriend's friends get confused....

What's your view on this series anyway?

Guest Brainstrain

Hi Jalvo,

I'm sorry I've never heard of this programme! Is it on English TV? Are you English? Sorry to sound dumb I'm sure that information is on here somewhere!

Brainstrain :mad:

Guest Dragonfruit
Now... one of them invited us over for a graduation party in May and this friend just asked if I could eat food which somebody else prepared........

Come on! She's even a graduating as a psychologist.

38391[/snapback]

I haven't watched the series either - but I do know that I have problems eating food that someone else has prepared so I don't think her question was particularly strange. Like you said OCD comes in so many forms that unless someone knows EXACTLY how you are affected I would have to say that this seems more of a thoughtful question on her behalf than an ignorant one.

At least she bothered to find out if it would cause you a problem.

Strikes me as more of a thoughtful question too...my OCD is largely pure 'o', but i do have trouble with this - i certainly couldn't eat anything at the Stirling conference... :omg: :mad:

As far as Monk goes - i love it! :) I've watched all 3 seasons and only ever found one episode (the one with a stand up comedian) uncomfortable viewing in terms of the way OCD is portrayed.

Season 1 DVD box set is now available in the UK (including extras on OCD, interviews with cast and crew - including the series creator, who has OCD etc) and they were also showing season two on BBC2 on Saturdays for a while...

The rest of the time, i think the programme deals with monk's OCD fairly sympathetically and positively - it is a comedy-drama so there are scenes where his OCD causes problems, sometimes to comedic effect, but quite often monk's OCD is portrayed as giving him benefits as well as limitations...

Guest Jalvo

:grin:

Didn't mean to sound angry. It was more a funny thing.

Sure it was kind of her to ask, but I don't want to be compared to Monk all the time. Hehe. That could turn into a very interesting party.

Seems like Monk is the only OCD-reference this woman has. And, you have to agree caveman; Monk can be quite exaggerated at times. He's got it all, and then some. (On the other hand, he can still kick his table with his shoe - which he wears inside, or move something with his pen which he later puts in his pocket. Hm.... :mad: But as mentioned; OCD IS weird.)

But, heck, I love it anyway.

Season 2 is available on region 1 DVD btw.

Edit: Didn't know the creator has got OCD. Interresting. Have to check out the extras.

I'm sorry I've never heard of this programme!  Is it on English TV?

38421[/snapback]

BBC2. It's a naff US TV detective series, think murder she wrote! The main charachter (monk) has OCD. I only watched 2 or 3 episodes but they did seem to do the OCD side of things extremely well.

Guest Dragonfruit
:grin:

Didn't mean to sound angry.

38439[/snapback]

You didn't - but I just re-read my post and I might have come across as being a bit grumpy - honestly wasn't meaning to - oooops - sorry! :mad:

Hope no offence has been taken - truly wasn't intended :)

Guest david

We watch Monk quite often (my girlfriend has OCD). Its a really good way to have a laugh at OCD without culpabilising anyone, and although you should watch it with your tongue firmly in your cheek, it can help you to look beyond your OCD and remember that a career/a life is possible. The main actor is very good (he's obviously done his homework) and the one thing that stands out is that the characteristics of the guy's OCD is also his strength (his attention to detail helps him solve crimes). If you can harness your creativity/scrupulosity/fastidiousness in a positive way, you can not only be 'normal', you can be 'better than normal'.

On a related note (and probably discussed at the time), what were people's impressions of 'Matchstick Men' with Nicolas Cage? I thought, like Monk, it wasnt to be taken too seriously, but it seemed to be well researched.