Tell me if this is OCD

Hi all

I wonder if anyone can help me I have been having a really hard time recently. For the last week I have been obsessing over something and it will not go away. It is making me really upset and i am getting the most anxious i have been for a long time. I went to the doctor a week ago and was prescibed medication.

Here is my obsession. A week ago I bought an xbox games consule which was second hand. With it was included a container with a lot of free games. I worried about this thinking it was put there by mistake and i would get in trouble with the police for keeeping it. I also worried that if i took the games back they may harm somebody The xbox it self was not working so I went back with both the xbox and the free game. I was awake all the night before i did this obsessing about it. I awoke the next day feeling really bad and my fear of the games hurting people because i had done something to them to hurt people became worse. The next day i took the games machine back and they gave me a new one no bother. They also said that the games that were with it were free and it was ok to take them, but i still worried about it and told them to keep the games. Later that day I really paniced and thought what if the games harm people. I went back and said that I would like the games back and they said ok and they gave me them back. I asked at the time is that definitly the same games and the said yes. Since then I have been obessing over the fact that they may have given me the wrong games back and if i put something in the games to harm people then they were still there in the shop. I cannot relax i think this is really and think maybe i should go to the police an tell them to make sure no one gets hurt. I cannnot relax thinking something bad will happen because of me at any time. I know i did not do anything and have not thought that i did logically, i would never hurt anyone. But still the thought persists and will not go and i think this is real not OCD. Does anyone out there think this is OCD or something else such as some other form of delusion. I had a similiar thing about 8 months ago weher i thought I attacked someone. It did not go away for a long time and it made me feel really bad. Can anyone give me any tips in dealing with this obssession. I feel really bad

Blessings

Ron

Guest Annabel

Hi Ron,

This situation sounds so difficult for you.

Perhaps it's OCD just with restricted insight- although you are aware that it is an obsession, otherwise you wouldn't have posted here! I have definitely had times of more and less insight/awareness that it is actually a product of my mind, and I have straightforward OCD, so yours may easily be the same. With this obsession- what mechanism is it that you imagine will cause the harm to people? is it a magical force or because you've handled the discs?

I imagine it's OCD, have you ever had CBT or other therapy? What did your GP think when you went to see her/him?

Anna x

Edited by Annabel