Pure O

Guest hope125

Guest hope125

Hi it's Hope again,

Sorry to bother you guys. This is probably a silly question but I am not entirely sure whether I have pure O or not. My Therapist has never actually mentioned Pure O and I myself have only come across the term since finding this fabulous site. According to my therapist I have anxiety with obsessive tendencies.

Don't want to bore you but need to tell u a little before you'll be able to help me with my question! My whole problem started a couple of years back, split with very controlling boyfriend after a long time, started off with physical symptoms which developed into 'bad thoughts'. I have been on and off Lustral twice now, currently on them. the only problem I have now is bad thoughts (bouts of) which i find incredibly distressing. The bad thoughts at first were absolute hell on earth, as didn't know what was happening, I now understand what they are but it still causes me great upset as if i am having a bad day it's like i have an urge to do something when i really, really don't want to. and the thought of actually thinking like that sickens me is that pure o? does anybody else feel like they get an urge sometimes? I hate it so much, i'm terrified that something will make me lose control one day. after sayin that i know i won't, but i hate the thoughts so much. (I can cope with the physical symptoms of anxiety)

I posted a message last week titled ‘damn bad thoughts’ (it’s on page 3 of this site) which some of you very kindly responded to. I was just wondering is what I have classed as pure o? I do count things and check things but not all the time, seems to get worse when stressed. Really, really sorry to be a pain. Thanks for all your support people it really is appreciated.

It would be really good if somebody could enlighten me.

Many Thanks, sorry to be a pain.

Hope

xxx

Guest Marcus

It was a new term for me too until I came across this website last week.

I think when your thoughts are obsessive and its not accompanied by repetive actions, then its pure "o". Sounds like you have lot of pure "O".

I too have horrible thoughts sometimes and I know its very distressing. The strange part of it is that I suspect that you are a kind and gentle person. OCD is horrible in that it has a habit of finding the things that most upset a sufferer.

If you can let the thoughts come and go, see them as just thoughts of OCD, then eventually they will go away.

Good luck :wallbash:

Hi Hope,

Marcus is spot on, Pure 'O' means purely obsessive thoughts, where the thoughts are obsessive and its not accompanied by repetive actions like washing, checking etc.

So yes from what you write it does sound like you have Pure 'O', although of course I am not a medical expert.