Advice about an obsession that wont go

Hi

I wonder if anyone has any advice about an obsession that won't go. I have had it for 2 weeks and although the thought i know logically is not real it is still there. It is related to harming people which i would never do. Any reasons you think that ceratin obsession don't go and is there anything i can do to help it to go.

Blessings

Hi There :)

Two weeks in OCD World isn't overly long and when obsessions stick it's generally because we're fighting and interacting with them in some way.

When you have these harming thoughts how do you normally react? Often we do things like thinking "I'd never do that, I'm a good person" or repeat a phrase like "Stop it"

Can you think what goes through your mind when the thought strikes? Normally we do do something to try and neutralise the thought, which seems sensible and logical but can actually be a mental compulsion which is just the same as a physical compulsion like hand-washing.

Caramoole

Hi Caramoole

thank you very much for replying it is really appreciated. The way that this obsession is affecting me is kind of like this thought is real so no matter what i do to feel relaxed such as sleep or anything else it will still be there and is reality so it does not seem like OCD to me it is like reality and I will hurt someone. I have tried to think logically about it but it doesnt go away. Is there anything I can do to help it be not so real to me and to help it go away. I had a similiar type of obsession last year and it stayed for months.

Blessings

Guest s8647

I can totally relate to everything in this post I am also

Going through something very similar at the minute with intrusive thoughts and finding it very tiring! Best thing I keep finding me telling myself is that I also had a similar thing this time last year, I got through it then and I will get through it just the same again. I also just find getting any of it out of my head the hardest thing at the moment! I know I will come through this, you will also :)

Guest downunder

Hi ,

Firstly I know excatly how you feel, and its fustrating to say the least.

I find in this situation when you have been through a ocd episode before you are know better equipped to deal with it , because you acually know what is going on -ITS YOUR OCD. Knowing this deep down inside does not stop it from happening even though it feels like it should.

The more you battle /push away the thoughts the more they will come , the more you do this the more you wont be able to stop thinking about them , And then we have the whole "dont think of pink elephant scenario". Your are now just thinking about them have having the thoughts because your are If that makes sense.

Right now I find the best tool for me is 'mMindfulness'...... I have to look at the big picture adnd remind my self what is going on, and not get caught up in worrying about these thoughts, which after all is what OCD actually is.

I would reccommend getting as much sleep and ridding any extarnal stress factors and eat well..... this helps combat the anxiety , becuase with out anxiety these thoughts are just silly intrusive thoughts..... they mean nothing. It is only the anxiety that makes them feel real. I bet yopu get a pang of anxiety immediatly before you have a thought because your brain has 'thought' of the thought before you actually realise then its a ' complusion to go through with the thought.

I hope this helps,

also I find some articles at www.ocdonline.com really helped me with my 'pure O'

Dave

Hey! Sorry to hear you're having s tough time; I sometimes get harm thoughts; often around knives;,,, What if I stabbed someone?! Lots of people think this & just don't batter an eyelid, ...us with OCD however recoil in horror! Am I evil? Sick? Mental?

Truth is: it's just a thought: a brain fart; it scares you & is contrary to your morals, do guess what: it sticks & scares & haunts you;

Best way to face OCD is with education (reading about OCD) & support of a CBT therapist: I purposely use sharp knives around people to destroy this obsession; if I get a thought, I acknowledge it as an OCD thought & get back to my breathing, talking to someone etc....

It is tough; but you can beat this!

Oh yea, remember thoughts;

1) are no reflection on you as a person

2) don't make it any more likely that u'll do something bad

3)What is different about us is how we respond to these thoughts