Matchstick Men: Review

I have just recieved my copy of Matchstick Men (Via the Amazon link above).

I am told one of the characters has OCD, so will watch it later tonight and review it for you all. I have seen some good reviews and I am told the OCD is portrayed quite well so will be interesting.

Feel free to add your own reviews to the thread.

Synopsis

Roy and Frank are con artists and between them they enjoy a successful business partnership. However, Roy's private life is not so hot and he is forced to seek help from a psychoanalyst who encourages him to seek out the fourteen-year-old daughter whose existence he has always suspected but never confirmed. On meeting Angela he begins a relationship he never dreamed of but Angela starts to develop an interest in her father's 'career'...

For anyone wishing to purachse it the Amazon link is:

DVD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...SYQO/ocduk02-21

Video: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...SYQE/ocduk02-21

This is my review of the film which I posted on the other board on 21st October 2003:

While the plot was rather complex and interesting in its own right my main interest was obviously the film's portrayal of OCD. My initial impression was that Nicholas Cage did a fairly convincing portrayal of a 'classic' OCD sufferer - the counting, rituals, handwashing, excessive cleanliness etc. The agoraphobia he also seemed to suffer from was maybe a bit of a red herring - I don't know if this is a common problem in itself among OCD sufferers. However I felt that he seemed to recover rather too quickly from his compulsions - although he did receive medication (although there was a t wist here - which I won't reveal) he seemed to give in much too easily to the invasion and 'contamination' of his house when his daughter arrived - you would have expected much more anguish and cleaning rituals. In fact I felt that the OCD was partly a 'gimmick' that was not necessary for the overall message of the film. Although the OCD does feature through the film you tend to forget about it, as Cage's character seems to forget about it too apart from the odd scene (like the one when he runs out of his medication). Although I have suffered from various forms of OCD the main recent one has been obsessional thoughts and obviously I would have liked to see this portrayed, but I realise that the main public perception is that of contamination type OCD and I suppose the first part of the film did a good job in this respect. One amusing shot which may be of interest to some people was of a pristine store cupboard well stocked with a whole range of cleaning materials all lined up. Anyway overall I would give the film about 6 out of 10 for its portrayal of OCD - it made an effort but could have done better.

And a further few comments I made on the other board on 9th Jan 2003:

This too* showed too quick a recovery from the symptoms (contamination OCD, accompanied by agoraphobia), although admittedly he was given medication, and it showed a relapse when the medication ran out. I was a little disappointed in the film's portrayal of OCD, although Nicholas Cage did a good job himself portraying the sufferer.

* this comment refers to 'As Good As It Gets' where SleepySweep felt that Jack Nicholson's character gets over OCD a bit quick

• 2 months later...

I have finally just got around to watching Matchstick Men, a fairly well done 'feel good' type of movie. Middle aged conman (Nicholas Cage) finds he is a father to 14 year old girl and the film basically portrays their relationship as they grow to get to know each other, although there is an amazing twist at the end.

Not the kind of film I would usually go for, but I did only buy it for the OCD connection. Although I do not think OCD actually gets mentioned in the film I felt the character portrayed by Nicholas Cage clearly had OCD and the writer did a pretty good job capturing it.

Would I watch the film again? Unlikely, but I suspect that it is the type of film that will appeal to many of you.

I am going to donate the DVD to the charity shop (tomorrow) so please bid for it and make the charity some money or if anybody wants to make a donation to the charity for it PM me and I will send it straight out to you.

If anybody wants to buy it new, remember we get a commission if you buy direct from our Amazon link.

DVD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...SYQO/ocduk02-21

Video: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...SYQE/ocduk02-21

I've just bid on 2 of the items in the ebay shop including matchstick men....hope i win :) (and don't worry Ashie, i have 100% feedback score :( !)

• 8 months later...

Just bumping this.

I just watched it, good film, and I agree pretty much with Stephen.

OCD is very individual, but I couldn't help myself wondering how he could do one thing and not the other, hehe. Guess I related it too much to my own way of thinking.

*Spoiler*

One thing which is bothering me with this movie is the medication twist. His OCD was obviously quite strong and then he was fooled; and suddenly he was fine.

OCD doesn't work like that.

That he had it less being with his "daughter" while having a good time I can perhaps relate to (OCD varies in different situations), but I don't feel they did a very good research job.

What's your thought?

Edit: Just discussed this with my girlfriend who's a psychologist; and apperently it often helps to "fool" patients with fake pills.