I have posted this in the 'OCD in the media' forum. However, as you need to be a member to view the information, I'm posting this here so even the non-members get a chance to view it (I hope this is ok).

On Tuesday 26th July, ITV Wales are covering OCD on the show 'Wales this Week' at 7.30pm.

Here is the description for the programme:

"Secret Obsessions: A look at the secret lives of people suffering from one of the most devastating and hidden mental health illnesses - Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder."

The programme promises to be decent as they want to address the difference between those that claim to be "a bit OCD" to those with the real thing.

For those of you outside of Wales, I know that it is possible to gain access to other regions of BBC on SKY, but I'm not sure about ITV. If you can't, perhaps someone with more internet/tech. knowledge than myself can hopefully guide you to a way to view online.

All the best,

100TaD!

is there a way to see this if u dont live in the uk?

Hi Thijs

I'm currently looking to see if I can find a link so the programme can be streamed online from the ITV website. If I can't find one, I'll contact them for advice and let you know what they say.

100TaD!

Hi Thijs

I'm currently looking to see if I can find a link so the programme can be streamed online from the ITV website. If I can't find one, I'll contact them for advice and let you know what they say.

100TaD!

omg i cant wait iam so pleased some one is covering the pure o . I am in the uk i really hope i get to c it.

Guest orange socks

omg i cant wait iam so pleased some one is covering the pure o . I am in the uk i really hope i get to c it.

dont know if they are covering pure o are they ????

doesnt actually say in the write up that they are doing pure o sadly. they usually use the more common traits of ocd like washing and checking sadly - possibly cause its more visual for telly ????

done a few programmes myself and time and again i have asked the programme makers to include folk with pure o ....they arent usually interested cause they want something visual to use to make a programme :(

all that said it could well be pure o ....you never know :)

Edited by orange socks
Guest Thijs

I dont see a reason why they cant make pure o visable for telly. Probably producers with very few imagination/fantasy.(they should hire some pure o'ers lol :D)

Guest orange socks

I dont see a reason why they cant make pure o visable for telly. Probably producers with very few imagination/fantasy.(they should hire some pure o'ers lol :D)

i think also it may be to do with a reluctance for people with pure o to come forward and talk about their ocd - understandably difficult - i know .....its hard to talk about isnt it.

i get asked time and time again to do tv , radio and newspaper / magazine articles cause there is a lack of people who will talk about their ocd (i did 1 yesterday in fact)-its out in a couple of weeks ...i can understand how hard it is to talk about.....

perhaps pure o isnt portrayed in the media cause no one wants to talk about it ???

i do understand that - its hard isnt it :(

Edited by orange socks
Guest Thijs

Yes it is extremely hard. And hard for outsiders cos it will sound like psychopath thoughts. Which is what causes me anxiety. Nice point huh. Im supposed to believe im not but others wont because it probly fits all of the CSI descriptions lol :p

Guest legend

I think people sometimes use the term pureo loosley, because in the main people with pure o do have outward compulsions. like avoidance

reasurance seeking , checking online for answers etc, but its not always portrayed well on programmes.

Pure o i feel isnt publicised enough, but i do feel that people feel that pure o is slightly different in the context that it is all internal

and non visual, but as i said there are in the most outwardly actions.

legend

Guest xxBistoJoexx

I wonder how many people though will come forward and realise they have Pure O?! Maybes they just think they are horrible people for having such thoughts...And to realise that this is an ACTUAL condition they may just get the help they need :)

Guest miss stresshead

I wonder how many people though will come forward and realise they have Pure O?! Maybes they just think they are horrible people for having such thoughts...And to realise that this is an ACTUAL condition they may just get the help they need :)

I really hope people come forward and this programme helps them, would be great

xx

Guest orange socks

i know ....:( that just illustrates why it is so important that people with pure o come forward and talk about it....to help others ....so that others can realise they are not evil but they have a medical condition.... its up to us.....if we dont talk about it who will ? :(

sharing about suffering from ocd does work...it does help others to seek help for it ( i have a 3 box files stuffed full of printed out emails, and letters of people thanking me for sharing over the years about my suffering - not saying that for any other reason than to illustrate that talking about it helps others seek help ....so if your thinking you might be able to share about it ...please do :) )

Edited by orange socks
Guest mummywithocd

I really hope that in watching this program some people out there will see themselves in it and recognise their symptoms as being ocd. I was suffering for years, thinking I was going insane whenI read an article in a newspaper supplement about ocd and bdd-I can´t tell the relief I felt when I read my symptoms there in black and white-I made an appoint.with my gp immediately.

Am looking forward to watching it xx

It's funny really how people view OCD as only relevant to their own form, understandable, but as a charity we have to view the illness with a wider view. When looking at coverage for the illness I am looking to get coverage for OCD, not just one facet of the illness.

The fact is that Pure O includes both obsessions and compulsions, so provided the programme covers how debilitating that both obsessions and compulsions can be then it will have done its job to help raise awareness. I don't know who the case studies are, but I think Paul is involved in this, so one assumes he will do a fantastic job of explaining the illness.

But, regardless of what form of the illness is depicted I hope people will show consideration and respect for people that suffer with that form of the illness, rather than view it that their own form is not depicted so it was not a very good programme.

Iam feeling really passionate about raising awarness of ocd.

I feel if there was more media coverage on the effects of pure o this illness would be taken as serriousely as say depression.

There have been countless media coverages on the cleaning, checking side of ocd for years now and people dont take it serriousley and make jokes out it.

highlitening the cleaning and checking side of ocd downplays the illness. It be done i dont really feel its worked.

I had ocd pocd for 2yrs and i am only telling my family now because nobody knows about these thoughts but maybe if there was more awarness of the types of thoughts THEN maybe i could of told my family and friends sooner instead of having to deal with illness on my own . Actually it the worst thing about my illness that i couldn tell them how i was feeling inside so they could help me.

Guest orange socks

do you feel fefee that you could get involved in talking about your ocd to the media then ???....cause i think ashley has a media awareness campaigne coming up ...i think ??? or you could go on his list of volunteers...if you feel you can help :)

no pressure - cause i know how difficult it is.:)

i dont neccessarily think that as you say ''highlighting the cleaning and checking side of ocd downplays the illness''

checking and cleaning ocd can be just as serious and debilitating as any other form of ocd. my checking ocd was so bad it actually gave me an heart

attack - the anxiety is still the same as the anxiety that a pure o sufferer suffers from .

we just need more people to share about their experiences of pure o ....we cant help others if no one will share their experiences ...we just have

to chip away and get awareness out there of all types of ocd . :)

it does work - awareness raising does help others :)

Edited by orange socks

Iam feeling really passionate about raising awarness of ocd.

I feel if there was more media coverage on the effects of pure o this illness would be taken as serriousely as say depression.

As are we all at OCD-UK fefee, but we have to be very careful about claiming OCD will only ever be taken seriously if we cover one aspect of the illness, this is disrespectful to those that have talked openly about their OCD, but also people with other forms of OCD could be offended by such a statement.

OCD is OCD, it is devastating regardless of the form, and I do not buy into the suggestion that some forms are more severe than others. Regardless of the form of the illness, it can lead us to a place of mental anguish and torture and a place of despair.

There have been countless media coverages on the cleaning, checking side of ocd for years now and people dont take it serriousley and make jokes out it.

I don't wish to be cheeky, but just because you have not seen them does not mean such media coverage as not taken place. The fact is that Diana has discussed the 'Pure O' form of OCD on many, many national shows, GMTV, This Morning, BBC Breakfast, Times, Mail on Sunday, Late Late Show in Ireland and many other publications and local TV and radio features, and Diana's story alone accounts for almost 50% of our overall media work.

I think we all agree that the stigma of OCD is still that it is a 'quirky' illness, and we do need to change that, and the OCD Awareness Week aims to work towards changing perceptions of OCD, all aspects of OCD from contamination to pure O.

Forgive me now for getting passionate, but I really do not want to see comments 'cleaning side of ocd downplays the illness'... don't believe me? Let me highlight some examples for you.. For some that form of OCD is washing and scrubbing until their sink is dripping with their own blood, or like the lady who bathed in a bath of dettol which caused some issues with her time of the month due to dettol getting into the blood stream and through to a lady who I am trying to help at the moment whose contamination is so bad that she is not just housebound, she is room-bound and using the toilet takes 5-6 hours a time, so she only goes once a day, which can not be good for anyone. And perhaps the most extreme example of why contamination OCD is just as serious as other forms, the gentleman who cleaned is house with hundreds of bottles of dettol, windows closed who died due to a lack of oxygen.

Whilst those cases are all examples I have come across in my work, from a personal perspective OCD, contamination OCD, robbed me of my 20's, I did not have a girlfriend, or social life at all, I still have few friends today and I was a virgin until well into my 30s all because of my OCD.

So please, I beg you all lets focus on raising awareness about the debilitating nature of OCD, and support people that do that, regardless of the form of OCD they talk about.

do you feel fefee that you could get involved in talking about your ocd to the media then ???....cause i think ashley has a media awareness campaigne coming up ...i think ??? or you could go on his list of volunteers...if you feel you can help :)

i dont neccessarily think that as you say ''highlighting the cleaning and checking side of ocd downplays the illness''

checking and cleaning ocd can be just as serious and debilitating as any other form of ocd. my checking ocd was so bad it actually gave me an heart

attack - the anxiety is still the same as the anxiety that a pure o sufferer suffers from .

we just need more people to share about their experiences of pure o ....we cant help others if no one will share their experiences ...we just have

to chip away and get awareness out there of all types of ocd .

it does work - awareness raising does help others

Hayley, I 100% agree with you..... bet you never thought you would see me say that ;) :lol:

to chip away and get awareness out there of all types of ocd . :)

it does work - awareness raising does help others :)

I am fully aware that the cleaning and checking ocd is as just as a debilating as all the others , sorry if that didnt come across in my post . I just meant that normal memebers of the public i think are very aware of the cleaning and checking side but i think if they knew about the others then they might realise and take more serriousley . I think making programmes about cleaning and checking and cleaning and then more checking isnt getting the message through. only what the public already knows but hey this programme might be different.

I actualy think there is more pure o suffers than the checking kind, i c this in the forums and i been to a few different support groups , The people who seem the most distressed are the ones who have intrusive thoughts are both. I really hope i not offending anybody i dont like to upset anyone . but telling u guys how i c it.

I think maybe we could come up with away to but pure o in the media with out having to but real people maybe actors , i dont no ,

Guest ohsoslightlyOCD

I'm on holiday, and don't want to record it since it would be awkward with my parents.

Will it still be on ITV player around 4th August, anyone know?

Thanks.

Definitely interested in watching this, it's about time!

ohso xx

As are we all at OCD-UK fefee, but we have to be very careful about claiming OCD will only ever be taken seriously if we cover one aspect of the illness, this is disrespectful to those that have talked openly about their OCD, but also people with other forms of OCD could be offended by such a statement.

OCD is OCD, it is devastating regardless of the form, and I do not buy into the suggestion that some forms are more severe than others. Regardless of the form of the illness, it can lead us to a place of mental anguish and torture and a place of despair.

I don't wish to be cheeky, but just because you have not seen them does not mean such media coverage as not taken place. The fact is that Diana has discussed the 'Pure O' form of OCD on many, many national shows, GMTV, This Morning, BBC Breakfast, Times, Mail on Sunday, Late Late Show in Ireland and many other publications and local TV and radio features, and Diana's story alone accounts for almost 50% of our overall media work.

I think we all agree that the stigma of OCD is still that it is a 'quirky' illness, and we do need to change that, and the OCD Awareness Week aims to work towards changing perceptions of OCD, all aspects of OCD from contamination to pure O.

Forgive me now for getting passionate, but I really do not want to see comments 'cleaning side of ocd downplays the illness'... don't believe me? Let me highlight some examples for you.. For some that form of OCD is washing and scrubbing until their sink is dripping with their own blood, or like the lady who bathed in a bath of dettol which caused some issues with her time of the month due to dettol getting into the blood stream and through to a lady who I am trying to help at the moment whose contamination is so bad that she is not just housebound, she is room-bound and using the toilet takes 5-6 hours a time, so she only goes once a day, which can not be good for anyone. And perhaps the most extreme example of why contamination OCD is just as serious as other forms, the gentleman who cleaned is house with hundreds of bottles of dettol, windows closed who died due to a lack of oxygen.

Whilst those cases are all examples I have come across in my work, from a personal perspective OCD, contamination OCD, robbed me of my 20's, I did not have a girlfriend, or social life at all, I still have few friends today and I was a virgin until well into my 30s all because of my OCD.

So please, I beg you all lets focus on raising awareness about the debilitating nature of OCD, and support people that do that, regardless of the form of OCD they talk about.

ok Ashley sorry if i upset u , i read what u highlighted and the tears stremed down my face . I REALLY do want to help . my pocd story i have signed for it to be documented for a case study for cbt therapist to educate them it.

Iam also getting involved with my local support group to help raise awarness as well.

I DO no any forum of ocd is the worst for the person

fefee

Guest legend

ok Ashley sorry if i upset u , i read what u highlighted and the tears stremed down my face . I REALLY do want to help . my pocd story i have signed for it to be documented for a case study for cbt therapist to educate them it.

Iam also getting involved with my local support group to help raise awarness as well.

I DO no any forum of ocd is the worst for the person

fefee

I actually feel very strongly about the way that there is a lack of "media coverage" of this flavour of ocd feefe. I was actually locked up in a police cell due to the lack of knowlegdge by so called professionals. I was denied access to my kids for 3 days whilst a child protection

case was carried, because i told medical staff of my thoughts and feared i had abused them as babies..

This was 7 years ago, it took me 7 years to have my crb form cleared which prevented me from working with kids, thanks to the help of ocduk.i got my dna removed from records, fingerprints removed as well.

and i hadnt even commited a crime. i had ocd

I spoke to my daughters headmistress today about it.As she was inlvoved with the pathetic investigation, (her words) where my kids were interviewed by child peotection officers (aged 4 and 7)

We thanked her for the support she has given to us all.

So media coverage does need to cover this aspect of ocd. What is also vital is that the so called "bloody professionals " are made aware

of this type of ocd, and yes it is a type !!!, so that others do not go through what i and my family have, and sadly yes it does still happen.

This is more worrying for those that are to fearful to disclose these thoughts, more so than in the way that people do with checking contam.

So, when my kids are older. I will tell my story. I will tell it to the world. Because if that mean that one person does get the right help

and treatment then so be it

Well done on your awareness feefe. I have helped out on here for over 6 years and do lots of stuff locally. It really does give a sense of

achievement.

keep up the good work

Guest ohsoslightlyOCD

I am such a hypocrite though. I really want to raise awareness for OCD, yet I hide mine and only close family knows.

It's not really that i'm ashamed, but it's so hard to talk about and others don't make it easy!

Hope this program does us all justice :)

ohso xx