I actually feel very strongly about the way that there is a lack of "media coverage" of this flavour of ocd feefe. I was actually locked up in a police cell due to the lack of knowlegdge by so called professionals. I was denied access to my kids for 3 days whilst a child protection

case was carried, because i told medical staff of my thoughts and feared i had abused them as babies..

This was 7 years ago, it took me 7 years to have my crb form cleared which prevented me from working with kids, thanks to the help of ocduk.i got my dna removed from records, fingerprints removed as well.

and i hadnt even commited a crime. i had ocd

I spoke to my daughters headmistress today about it.As she was inlvoved with the pathetic investigation, (her words) where my kids were interviewed by child peotection officers (aged 4 and 7)

We thanked her for the support she has given to us all.

So media coverage does need to cover this aspect of ocd. What is also vital is that the so called "bloody professionals " are made aware

of this type of ocd, and yes it is a type !!!, so that others do not go through what i and my family have, and sadly yes it does still happen.

This is more worrying for those that are to fearful to disclose these thoughts, more so than in the way that people do with checking contam.

So, when my kids are older. I will tell my story. I will tell it to the world. Because if that mean that one person does get the right help

and treatment then so be it

Well done on your awareness feefe. I have helped out on here for over 6 years and do lots of stuff locally. It really does give a sense of

achievement.

keep up the good work

My heart just so goes out to and what happened to u is utterly devasting and disgracefull of the people in charge for any person to edure this treatment . There was a recent case of this happening and the person had pure o and he posted on here and ocd uk helped him out.

Personal myself when i got this illness and i went to the gp he told he had never heard of sexual obssesions and that he is very well imformed about mental illness (not obviousely) This made me extremely apprehensive of telling otheres in case they have never heard of it .

yes i argree with u legend pure o does need to in the media more

Guest legend

My heart just so goes out to and what happened to u is utterly devasting and disgracefull of the people in charge for any person to edure this treatment . There was a recent case of this happening and the person had pure o and he posted on here and ocd uk helped him out.

Personal myself when i got this illness and i went to the gp he told he had never heard of sexual obssesions and that he is very well imformed about mental illness (not obviousely) This made me extremely apprehensive of telling otheres in case they have never heard of it .

yes i argree with u legend pure o does need to in the media more

yep i advised the poor chap of what he needed to do, and thankfully from my past experiences ashley and ocduk were able to intervene very quickly

and the gentleman didnt go through what i did, albeit a removal from his family.

We are talking about raising awareness, but what we must also ensure is that pyschiartrists, pyschologists alike are made knowledgeable of

the broader picture of ocd, and that people do have unwanted thoughts of a sexual nature, and that they dont need extra grief and stress

caused by there lack of knowledge.

Thankfully i worked very very closley with the hospital after my events, and they do have an up to date knowlegde of ocd. And yes they did apologise . They wouldnt treat a cancer patient like it, nor should someone who is suicidal not knowing what day of the week it is, be treated

like a risk, because they have ocd

yep i advised the poor chap of what he needed to do

As did many others too Leg, as I'm sure you'll agree.

Bit by bit change will happen won't it, providing we all keep working towards that aim.

Hal :)

Guest legend

As did many others too Leg, as I'm sure you'll agree.

Bit by bit change will happen won't it, providing we all keep working towards that aim.

Hal :)

yes they did. in a ocd awareness way. but thanks to knowledge of how the procedures work out of ocd, we all ensured that he didnt live

a life of unecessary more stress because of the way the system works.

knowledge about ocd yes. Knowlegde about mums dads being taken away from kids because of ocd, dr savilikis writing letters to reconfirm it is

ocd, enough is enough. Knowledge has changed .... immensley, but there still remains a lack of knowlegdge on

parts of ocd, and there still remains a shortage of good therapists.

yes we aim to live in a life of a place where ocd is more understood, thats what we all strive for ... hand in hand

Edited by legend

where can I watch this if im not from the UK, is there any website that broadcasts it or something?

Hi.

I'm hoping to post the replayer link tomorrow if they make it available. If not, it should be available the day after I would have thought. :)

100TaD!

i couldnt find the show anywhere on itv website

maybe some1 recorded it?:)

I've just checked and the links to the last 4 weeks programmes have been posted (covering different issues), but last night's OCD episode isn't there yet. I'll keep checking and post as soon as it's available. :)

This is a link to the programme online. You may want to watch it first before reading my comments. I am not sure the link will work outside of the UK due to copyright restrictions.

First of all I have to admit I spoke to then production team some time ago with information about OCD, in fact they used one of my quotes word for word about OCD, which I think they may well have taken off our website. I also made my own views of Deep Brain Stimulation known after they asked me, and I also made some suggestions to them about the programme in terms of Welsh based speakers to contact (Ian and Paul). That was where my involvement ended, I left it with them. If any of the participants are members of our forum then my feedback is not aimed at you, but at the production of the programme itself.

I have nothing but respect for people that share their OCD experiences. OCD-UK have always gone down the route of being positive with our case studies in offering hope to those still struggling, this programme did not do that and I have to say this is one of those programmes with OCD which is more about visual effect than factual education that I really dislike, it wants to show the suffering but not explain the alternatives, it scratches the surface without going beyond and is a TV for the sake of TV, not TV aimed at educating.

I will explain two reasons why I feel this, firstly during the first feature with the gentleman mechanic, it showed his OCD bathroom cupboard all nice and tidy and he explained how if anyone messed with that it would upset him, his wife then says she avoids touching his belongings so not to upset him. That did not really explain the mental torture we all know he would be going through, so it kinda of dilutes the illness, and neither did the voiceover explain that 'colluding' with the OCD which the wife is doing is also the wrong thing to do and simply reinforces the OCD. I have no idea if the family have ever been told that, but I assume they have, but the programme really should have covered that.

Then secondly, whilst I have already made it clear I have no problem with contamination issues being covered, if the seriousness is shown, during a voice-over it showed an actress (I assume) washing her hands and checking a light switch again adding to those false stereo-types. Had the actress or voiceover gone on to explain the mental anguish constant washing can cause, and the effect on the skin and quality of life, fair enough, but they went for the stereo-typical shot.

They then covered a gentleman's pure-o for OCD, talked about the possibility of surgery, explained he had already had lots of therapy which had not worked, and surgery is one remaining option, but they never once suggested the quality of the therapist providing that CBT might in fact be the problem, not the CBT itself. Those pushing neurosurgery often suggest it should only be used after all other avenues have been explored, so someone might present having had 10 courses of CBT over 10 years, so be considered treatment reisstant, but who is to say that all ten courses of CBT have not been carried out by someone with no knowledge or understanding of OCD! Access to a good CBT therapist might well help that gentleman, without having to resort to surgery, and the voiceover never made that clear. Ignore all the hype, neurosurgery is dangerous, and if you think having OCD is bad, the dangers associated with neurosurgery are far worse! Paul thankfully made his views clear on NMD but I am disappointed that the Royal College of Psychiatrists were so flippant with their response, but for the programme to cover all this in just two minutes is both misleading and dangerous. The RCP are quoted by the ITV show as saying:

There is evidence for ethicacy and safety for modern neurosurgery for patents with chronic severe psychiatric disorders. Surveys suggest psychiatrists still see a role for neurosurgery for mental disorder for a minority of patients that do not respond for conventional treatments.

I will come back to this in another thread such is the importance of the issue, I believe this was irresponsible of ITV to cover this in just two minutes.

So all in all, I thought this was nothing more than a piece of 'fluff' about OCD further adding to the misconceptions about the illness. Although I echo the last line of the programme by the wife of the mechanic in saying if you suffer like any of those people, please do not give up, do not give up on CBT, because help is available and a life where your OCD does not impact so greatly is achievable.

Guest legend

Two things i found quite shocking,Firtsly is the lack of therapists in wales. Which is often brought up on here.VERY SAD.

And secondly. The guy with pure o who mentioned that "i have just intrusive thoughts but no compulsions" . How are people going to be

educated by a national tv service like itv. Which are allowed to make ill informed edited assumptions of ocd, pureo especially....so people will

say oh yes ... i have pureo, but no compulsions....totally totally wrong. How would a therapist treat that then ??

If anything its has given out the wrong information, and as you said ashley. Fluffed it up.

legend

Guest Thijs

Two things i found quite shocking,Firtsly is the lack of therapists in wales. Which is often brought up on here.VERY SAD.

And secondly. The guy with pure o who mentioned that "i have just intrusive thoughts but no compulsions" . How are people going to be

educated by a national tv service like itv. Which are allowed to make ill informed edited assumptions of ocd, pureo especially....so people will

say oh yes ... i have pureo, but no compulsions....totally totally wrong. How would a therapist treat that then ??

If anything its has given out the wrong information, and as you said ashley. Fluffed it up.

legend

maybe i shouldnt watch the show, it will only make me ****** off lol

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ohsoslightlyOCD

Hi

Sorry to start a thread, does anyone know where I can watch OCD on Wales This Week from a couple of weeks ago?

I was on holiday at the time, and couldn't record it. I can't find it on ITV Player. Thank you!!

Also, how was it? :)

xx

Edited by Ashley
(Merged with main discussion thread)