OCD and University applications

Guest heatherb

Guest heatherb

Hi there. My daughter is 17 and has OCD for eight years. She's doing well - at the moment - and hopes to go to University next year and study law. She has registered with UCAS and must now supply details for her LNAT test (Law National Admission Test). Both UCAS and LNAT ask if you wish to disclose a disability. We're not sure whether she should or if this might be held against her by a University. She is clever but has been given extra time in her exams so far because she gets very anxious; she really needs extra time but it seems that once you disclose a disability you have to continue to do so.

The school haven't given any advice at all. Does anyone out there have any experience of this? We'd both be very grateful for any help anyone can give. Many thanks. My love and thoughts go out to all you suffering parents - hang on in there. There is no other option.

Guest LadyMacbeth

I would suggest that you do mention it, the universities can't discriminate against her (they are not allowed to refuse people just because they are in a wheel chair, so why would they be able to do so for OCD?) and when she gets there, there will be so many other students, it should be her choice if she tells anyone, and if OCD is an issue, so really, you cant lose, but if you DONT mention it, if she has difficulties later, who will she be able to turn to if no one knows?

GOODLUCK! My friend is about to do Law at Cardiff, its a haaaaaaaaaaaaaard course! Best of luck!

Guest heatherb

I would suggest that you do mention it, the universities can't discriminate against her (they are not allowed to refuse people just because they are in a wheel chair, so why would they be able to do so for OCD?) and when she gets there, there will be so many other students, it should be her choice if she tells anyone, and if OCD is an issue, so really, you cant lose, but if you DONT mention it, if she has difficulties later, who will she be able to turn to if no one knows?

GOODLUCK! My friend is about to do Law at Cardiff, its a haaaaaaaaaaaaaard course! Best of luck!

Guest heatherb

Wise words Lady Macbeth. Interesting name you've got there... Thanks for your thoughts. I think you're probably right. I wish you well and I hope your friend enjoys Cardiff. Great city!! xx

Guest annie76

For what it's worth, up until Xmas I worked in the recruitment office for a uni - definitely disclose it as a disability if it affects her work. Unis are very used to this kind of thing and have welfare services in place to help students with all kinds of disability. Probably worth you both investigating what's on offer when you go to open days - see if you can make an appointment to speak to someone in the uni's student services.

Best of luck :-)

Guest heatherb

For what it's worth, up until Xmas I worked in the recruitment office for a uni - definitely disclose it as a disability if it affects her work. Unis are very used to this kind of thing and have welfare services in place to help students with all kinds of disability. Probably worth you both investigating what's on offer when you go to open days - see if you can make an appointment to speak to someone in the uni's student services.

Best of luck :-)

Guest heatherb

Hi Annie

Thanks so much for the response. I think disclosure seems to be the best idea. Very kind of you to write. Good luck with your life xx

Guest Annabel

Hi HeatherB,

I'm in 3rd year (of 4) at uni and I didn't disclose my OCD on the UCAS form. The form doesn't really matter too much- I disclosed my condition in second year to the disability office at the university instead and they then requested a GP/therapist letter/report and created a 'Learning profile' for me which entitles me to 33% extra exam time, last minute extensions, and to record lectures if necessary.

I also receive DLA to buy books and ink (because I need extra time to read books and have to print out handouts for every lecture) and in order to fund a mentor (someone who reviews my work weekly). If your daughter does disclose her condition then the information you provide should remain confidential but if she feels uneasy about it then she could just contact the disability/enablement service directly instead.

Hope you're both having a nice summer!

Guest heatherb

Hi HeatherB,

I'm in 3rd year (of 4) at uni and I didn't disclose my OCD on the UCAS form. The form doesn't really matter too much- I disclosed my condition in second year to the disability office at the university instead and they then requested a GP/therapist letter/report and created a 'Learning profile' for me which entitles me to 33% extra exam time, last minute extensions, and to record lectures if necessary.

I also receive DLA to buy books and ink (because I need extra time to read books and have to print out handouts for every lecture) and in order to fund a mentor (someone who reviews my work weekly). If your daughter does disclose her condition then the information you provide should remain confidential but if she feels uneasy about it then she could just contact the disability/enablement service directly instead.

Hope you're both having a nice summer!

Guest heatherb

Hi Annabel

Thanks very much for the info. It's really useful to hear from someone like yourself who is speaking from 'inside' so to speak. I'm so glad you are getting the support you need - it sounds well thought through and to get a mentor as well must be great. I hope your last year goes well and you get the job you have worked so hard for. Good luck with everything in the future, and thanks again for your comments. Enjoy your summer too - it goes sooooo fast! xx

Guest Annabel

Oh sorry I didn't see your reply before I posted the last message!

Thank you for your lovely reply and that's great that you got it all sorted out together. I didn't mention my OCD to anyone at school and thought I could get through university without mentioning it but having extra time and extensions definitely reduces the stress a little! I haven't actually seen the 'mentor' I'm assigned to yet and I was very embarassed about contacting the disability office- but if it helps to get through uni then it's worth it!

I hope your daughter has a lovely uni experience next year!

Guest heatherb

Oh sorry I didn't see your reply before I posted the last message!

Thank you for your lovely reply and that's great that you got it all sorted out together. I didn't mention my OCD to anyone at school and thought I could get through university without mentioning it but having extra time and extensions definitely reduces the stress a little! I haven't actually seen the 'mentor' I'm assigned to yet and I was very embarassed about contacting the disability office- but if it helps to get through uni then it's worth it!

I hope your daughter has a lovely uni experience next year!

Guest heatherb

Hi Annabel

You're dead right - anything that helps to reduce stress has got to be a good thing! My daughter had to change schools after a stay in a psychiatric unit when she was 14 so they knew everything, but we were a bit concerned about how uni's would view it, especially as she wants to do law. I know they are not allowed to discriminate but actually how do you know if they have!

Anyway, we'll disclose and be damned. Or rather, I hope she'll be helped!!!!!!!

Best of luck again. Don't let the OCD win. Ever.. xx