Has anyone got experience of hospital/residential treatment?

Guest mumstheword

Guest mumstheword

Hi everyone

Just hoping someone can share their experiences of managing to get some hospital/residential treatment for a family member who has reached real crisis point with their OCD??? :helpsmilie:

My 17year old son is so ill now that I am desperate for him to have care that isn't me!!!

He forces me to engage in his constant rituals and I know that all this is doing is making him worse :wallbash: But if I don't his distress is terrible.

We are currently waiting for medication to kick-in and take his anxiety down but as all of you will know it is currently like living in a nightmare :weep:

Please can anyone help???

Ali, a very desperate mum.

Guest Hopeful Mum

hi, just saw this but am popping our for appointment, will reply further later, but I can fully empathise with your situation, my daughter recently had an inpatient spell. Like you we got to the point where we were living in total crisis, and I also felt forced to take part in rituals. It became 24/7 from waking to dropping off totally exhausted usually in the early hours. If I lost facial contact at any point, it was the end of the world and we suffered explosive bouts when the frustration became too much for her to cope with. At worst, she was living a totally disabled life, with me assisting her with more or less everything. I felt I was bashing my head against a brick wall in trying to access support, and without the support of these forums I really don't think we could have survived. The services are out there to be had. Our GP was great, had pretty good understanding of OCD, she had never experienced it in this severe a form with an adolescent, however she was always prepared to push the CAMHS community team despite coming under criticism for her involvement. Our CAMHS community psychiatrist told us that it was an issue we would need to learn to manage in the home and that he wouldnt be able to take calls each time we were having a bad day. It is all very well to suggest this, but they are not the ones living in our homes 24/7!! I think in the 6 months we were under him before admission I called him twice regarding medication!! After months in crisis, the CAMHS crisis team became involved who provide intensive home support and a 24 hour support line. They must see a lot of things but were genuinely shocked at how we were living. At this point, my hubby was often sleeping in the garage, purely to maintain his work, as the bills mounted. The relief of their support made a huge difference, however they could only provide a limited time each day, so our CAMHS community psychiatrist arranged a hospital assessment, and an admission was offered. Our GP has apologised to me, saying that if ever faced with a situation like this again, she would keep putting pressure on the community team until they responded, and I guess looking back that is what I would do, keep pushing and pushing even if it means daily calls. As a forum member told me I am her little voice and keep shouting until you have it heard! xx

Guest heatherb

Hi everyone

Just hoping someone can share their experiences of managing to get some hospital/residential treatment for a family member who has reached real crisis point with their OCD??? :helpsmilie:

My 17year old son is so ill now that I am desperate for him to have care that isn't me!!!

He forces me to engage in his constant rituals and I know that all this is doing is making him worse :wallbash: But if I don't his distress is terrible.

We are currently waiting for medication to kick-in and take his anxiety down but as all of you will know it is currently like living in a nightmare :weep:

Please can anyone help???

Ali, a very desperate mum.

Guest heatherb

Hi Ali

I have to say that C's inpatient experience was not particularly helpful for her OCD; she said she was ignored most of the time because the ones with psychosis and the anorexics took up all the (very little) staff's time. However, it gave us both a much needed break from each other.

I knew she was safe in there (although she started to smoke and learned how to shoplift - although she didn't make personal use of the theory thank goodness) so it gradually allowed me to normalise for a while.

At first she blamed me for her admission and didn't want to see me, which was hard. But eventually she calmed down a bit and even started to come home for a day or two.

It's not an ideal situation because whatever they do in hospital is exactly that - 'in hospital' and not at home. But would I do it again? Yes. Without question. I don't know how I could have carried on otherwise.

If it came to it I would not have a problem with her being sectioned; there's no stigma to being ill and not realising that it might help you.

xx :hug:

Hi There- I wish I could help but I just wanted to say that we are in a similar postion right now. In fact so deperate today as our daughter H has been bad ALL day and day by day we are coping less. I looked on line for out of hours support nos and ended up phoning NHS direct who put me through to the out of hours drs.I knew they wouldn't be able to help much but the dr was actually didn't rush me or make me feel stupid and at least listened. It's such a nightmare isn't it? We have no family near us to help out but whenever mum-in-law(my own mum died quite a while ago) she finds it hard to cope with H and unable to give us a break. Its too much for anyone. Feling so desperate.

We are fortunate really as recently our daughter was referred to Maudsley in London and we had our assessment last week, and they will offe her out patient treatment but wait time 2-3 months. The thing is last year this would have been good but right now (and I feel awful for saying this) I would find it most helpful if H could be admitted somewhere. Or at least have support at home. We have been asking about it for a long time but there is nothing in our area.

SO I empathise greatly and really hope that things have improved and that you get more help very soon.

Heather I will update you on our experience at Maudsley soon.

Lol Kc xx