Advice please

Guest Hunnibee

Guest Hunnibee

Hi Guys

I haven't been on here for quite a while, but I need some advice and am hoping everyone is still as friendly and helpful as ever!

I have recently had a baby and since then the horrid thoughts have returned, harm thoughts mainly. I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow about a separate anxiety issue and my partner is trying really hard to encourage me to discuss the ocd so I can tackle that too, the problem is I am terrified that they will put me on a special watch or something because I have a baby. I am desperate to be a good Mother and want to make sure my issues never affect my baby but am terrified the Doctor might involve social services because of the type of thoughts I have. Can anyone offer any advice as I couldn't bare it if I spoke to my Doctor and they thought i was an unfit mother or tried to take the baby away or anything like that, the thought brings me to tears!!

Any advice appreciated.

xxx

Hi Guys

I haven't been on here for quite a while, but I need some advice and am hoping everyone is still as friendly and helpful as ever!

I have recently had a baby and since then the horrid thoughts have returned, harm thoughts mainly. I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow about a separate anxiety issue and my partner is trying really hard to encourage me to discuss the ocd so I can tackle that too, the problem is I am terrified that they will put me on a special watch or something because I have a baby. I am desperate to be a good Mother and want to make sure my issues never affect my baby but am terrified the Doctor might involve social services because of the type of thoughts I have. Can anyone offer any advice as I couldn't bare it if I spoke to my Doctor and they thought i was an unfit mother or tried to take the baby away or anything like that, the thought brings me to tears!!

Any advice appreciated.

xxx

if your gp is aware of your ocd, then you can discuss with them how it has taken a new dimension.

im sure ittl be fine.

It might help also if you have a chat with your health visitior about the ocd as they can all work together as a unit with the gp

let them no.

and congrats on baby hunnibee

Hi

Maybe give them some information on the type of OCD you have just to be sure they are very informed on the type of OCD you have, what do you think? I think its is a very common type of OCD and they should be well equipped to deal with it.

Wishing you the best of luck

xxhope

Guest sarah1984

Hi Hunnibee,

I think it's important to remember that thoughts are just thoughts, merely words inside your head and nobody is going to punish you for your thoughts. I'm sure your GP is aware of how OCD works and that he will have heard the same story many times before. Thoughts of causing harm to those we love & sexually assaulting a child are two of the most common 'themes' of OCD. The subject matter of our intrusive thoughts is always what we fear the most - therefore as a mum, you fear harming and losing your child. I've never spoken to you before and we've never met in real life but I can see from your post what a caring and responsible mother you are and I'm sure that will be obvious to your GP. Remember people with OCD never carry out their thoughts - that's why they find them so distressing. Interestingly enough, I recently read a post on here from another Mum who was going to start CBT and was terrified that her therapist would think she was capable of causing harm to her child and that social services would take her child away, so you're not alone.

Good luck with your appointment & congratulations on baby.

Guest Hunnibee

Thank you all for your responses. I really want to get the issues addressed but i feel that if it will cause repercussions and make the professionals question my ability to look after my baby then I would rather continue to live with it. I know they are just thoughts and people always say OCD people don't act on their thoughts but I am just so scared that they would take my child away that the fear stops me speaking out! I want reassurance that this won't happen but i can't get that unless I speak to the professionals, which i am too scared to do incase I don't get the reassurance I want....if you see what i mean ....I am talking in riddles a little!

It's driving me mad today because I just don't know what to do! :(