The urge to carry out a thought,

Guest Beth

I don't know if I just have a strong imagination or something, but I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this really big urge to do something.

When I was sitting in the common room today, I was next to my ex and his girlfriend. I'm completley over my ex and have no attraction to him and I don't even know why I went out with him (I wanted someone to talk to, but he wasn't the right one). But whilst sitting there during assembly when it was really quiet and my thoughts were zooming in my mind, I suddenly out of no where thought how inappropriate it would be to kiss him, and then I kept playing the image in my head and I was really worried I was going to do it even though I didn't want to.

I've spoke of this before and the feeling of opening the car door whilst it's moving, but this was a stronger feeling. I keep getting. It's like I'm in a normal situation and teh most inappropiate thing will pop into my head and for the next half hour I have to fight the temptation, and tell myself I won't do it. This is bad because this is also my method for convincing myself to do something like put my hand up and ask a question something I'm too scared to do. I end up thinking about the thoughts for ages after and whenever I saw my ex after it I was beginning to doubt whether I was over him, but I am. Now I'm wondering if these temptations are the real things I want to do.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything remoteley similar. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,

Beth.

Guest MajesticShannon

hi beth,

theres a thread with a similar theme from earlier tonight - 'obsession with schizphrenia'.

In the thread, The 'do it' thoughts are mentioned which i think maybe be the same thing as what you experienced today. You have a thought/an urge/impulse to do something, and although you know you wont and dont want to, you feel the need to find an answer to why you had that urge/impulse. Its an impossibe situation really :):) Ive been struggling with similar stuff recently, and have found that re-reading the 'imp of the mind' has helped bigtime.

Guest kirk27

Hello beth,

I like to think that when this type of overiding thing happens its kind of ocd trying its best to get at you in a extreeme way!! of course when it comes out of knowwhare and in bouts we think did i really just think that ???

This tends to make us feel really repulsive and then after we may try to analize it

as well like you mentioned try hard in fighting it!!

Its strange how you can go about you daily busines and out of knowhere these strong thoughts can come , you can be chatting to a mate or he/she chatting to you while yourself is only focusing on this little dilema !! its frustrating !!

I just put it down to plain old ocd trying to to get at us... for us trying to get at it,

we just got to fight , or let it pass

kirk

Guest Tulsas

I was at my girlfriends friends house in slovakia and they were handing a new born baby around for everyone to hold..Out of nowhere this feeling that I haven't had to this day overwhelmed me..I was thinking what if i delibratley dropped the baby on her head..and the more I thought about it the more my heart beated faster and my palms started to really sweat...when the baby eventually reached me,guess what I did...kissed it on the head held her for a little while and then handed her over to the next person...the more you think about a situation the more panicky and anxious you feel...you have to break that chain of thought even for 2 seconds and then you will realise it was only a thought after all.regardless of how powerful the feeling and thought is you won't do it...as with dreams we are not in charge of our thoughts but we can take control of our actions...belive me the thought is the start of....nothing

Guest gemgem

yeah, taht sounds familiar. tho mine r all hygiene-related obviously. i get a thopught like theres pee on the floor and then it takes ages to convince myself otherwise. or like yesterday i was wathing mums on strike and sum kid was being potty trained and i was thinking- poo is on his floor, maybe its on mine even though i knew it was the stupidest thopught ever!

rah, big rant, sorry dont wanna take over yr thread!

cut a long story short, yr not alone in this!

gem :)

Guest MajesticShannon

quick question.............. would you say thinking 'what if i do such and such' is the same as getting the urge to do something (like a thought of attack him/her). Ive had both kind, but the latter have been the ones that have been doing my head in. Guess its a similar thing though - what do you think??

Well I don't really get 'what if I do this and that', I get more the actual urge to do something. I would imagine that they are quite similar because one is thinking of something and one is thinking about doing something and the other is worrying about doing something. I'm not really sure to be honest. I hope someone else can answer better than me.

Beth

I've had both the 'Urge' thing and the 'What If' thing and they're one and the same problem...yes the Urge feels stronger and more frightening because it seems more immediate.

The truth is they're both nonsense and they're both 'What If's'

Either way, you won't do it :)

Guest MajesticShannon

thanks caramoole.

I've been stressing about that, as the ocd started saying 'so you've had the urge to do something, so this means that you might want to' - so ive ended up in the cycle of questioning myself. :)

Guest double-two

Hi

I only found out yesterday after watching This Morning that I have these thoughts etc. because I may have OCD. Reading though these posts is really helping as I am going though so many of the same things as everyone else and was thinking it was just happening to me.

For years and years when I have been in small meetings with a group of people and everyone is discussing a subject I'm just thinking 'what would happen if i throw my tea over someone? or if I shouted something out really loud. Then I sit there thinking I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it. I hate it, but have done it for as long as I can remember. The only thing I know for sure is that I haven't ever thrown my tea or shouted out really loud, and when it's happening I just try to keep telling myself I've thought it before and never done it so I'm not going it do it today either.

Sue

Hi

I only found out yesterday after watching This Morning that I have these thoughts etc. because I may have OCD.  Reading though these posts is really helping as I am going though so many of the same things as everyone else and was thinking it was just happening to me. 

For years and years when I have been in small meetings with a group of people and everyone is discussing a  subject I'm just thinking 'what would happen if i throw my tea over someone? or if I shouted something out really loud. Then I sit there thinking I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it.  I hate it, but have done it for as long as I can remember.  The only thing I know for sure is that I haven't ever thrown my tea or shouted out really loud, and when it's happening I just try to keep telling myself I've thought it before and never done it so I'm not going it do it today either. 

Sue

41470[/snapback]

hi everyone,

i'm new to this board, but have suffered from ocd for quite a while. I suffer from pure o ....& in the past fortnight i've been getting myself into a state worried i'll carry out my thoughts. Today is a big hurdle for me as this is the first time i've been left on my own since the middle of march...and to b honest i'm a bag of nerves. The only way i've been able to calm myself down is by telling myself if i was going to carry out a thought i would of done so when i first started having them. I hope i've made some sort of sense.

love & light

roxy