Panicking

Guest sam

Hi all,

Sorry but need to unload. 2 weeks ago was at a&e with my son who is 2 he got hold of alans razor and cut his thumb although he is fine now and its healing up nicely, then on sunday I slambed the car door on my 5 year old daughters finger by accident :) and the top of her finger has poped the doctor in a&e had to stitch her nail bed then hold the nail itself down with some form of stitch then bandage her two fingers together she has to go to hand clinic today and I am panicing. Anxiety high, guilt high, ocd high I feel sick to my stomach can't concerntrate and am finding it very hard keep it together alan luckly can come with as its the same place he works so I am greatful for that but its the thought of her being in so much pain which I caused by accident but never the less I caused it. :):)

Has any one else gone through this if so how did you cope not just with guilt ect but by keeping ocd in controll?

any advise would be greatful :)

Guest gemgem

you can be proud of yourself for beimng brave enough to get through this panick in order to do teh best for your child.

its so much harder for us to do everyday things than others that we have to be proud when we do them.

gem :)

Guest NickNickNick

Guilt obsessions are my biggest problem too.

I deal with them by actively not dealing with them. Ignore past events and the 'what-ifs' of the guilt surrounding them. If someone brings up your past actions in the present, deal with them then. Otherwise, just ignore them. Easier said than done, but this attitude has worked miracles for me.

Guest ocd13

Hi Sam,

Here's my reply from the other perspective: when I was younger, my sister did exactly the same thing to me and she panicked cos she felt so guilty, burst into tears and ran off. My Mum quickly went off to look for help (it happened near to where she worked), so I was left stood 'attached' to this car by two fingers completely alone. Eventually my sister came back and I actually managed to calm her down enough to explain to her how to get the door open to free my fingers. That's actually probably one of the bravest things I've ever done.

Anyway, my point is, it was an accident and there are no hard feelings about what happened. So just to let you know that your daughter most likely just saw it as an accident and was pleased that you got her help. Unfortunately in life, things like this happen to us and other people and I think you just have to try and accept that it was an accident and move on from it.

I hope that helps you to see it from your daughter's perspective. :hug:

Love Andrea

xx

Guest xitalian_fairyx

I don't know if what I'm about to say will actually help...or make sense for that matter but anyway..:hug:

I think it's good that you've accepted that it was an accident...but you can't blame yourself. Accidents are unavoidable, they are inevitable in everyday life and happen all the time. You can't beat yourself up over it and it is not your fault. Also, as Nick said you can't think about the "what-ifs"...it has happened now and is in the past. The best thing you can do for your daughter is just to show her how loved she is. She wouldn't want to see her mother getting distressed over this and by panicking she would sense you are upset which could make the situation a whole lot worse. You're daughter would have seen it as an accident anyway, there are no hard feelings...just calm down, relax, and let everything go back to normal.

I hope it all works out :)

Guest xitalian_fairyx

She wouldn't want to see her mother getting distressed over this and by panicking she would sense you are upset which could make the situation a whole lot worse. 

41412[/snapback]

I forgot to mention, that I used to be depressed...and although the situation is completely different...when my brother got ocd it just made me worry more which made him worry more which led to a vicious circle. My point is...you're daughter probably didn't think much of it anyway...and by panicking and not putting it in the past, it may just make her more upset :hug: Hope this makes sense x

hi all

thanks for all support yesterday. Alan came with me and it was not what I expected Alans work mates came over to see her which put us both at ease them we went up to hand clinic where they had to soak and tease off her bandage as it had dryed on about 30 mins i think it was poor thing she was in pain and screaming which made me want to cry :crybaby: . But when it came offshe was cool she has fractured the tip of her finger but it looks clean nasty but clean so they put a fresh dressing on and gave some antibiotics and she goes back on friday. She really is a brave little thing, But this morning her 2 year old brother feel over she went to help him get up and he pulled the dressing off :) so off we went again to the surgery to get another dressing on it can you belive it :lol2: but she is fine. I do know one thing when all this is over and done with I don't want to see another hospital for a long time :) :lol2: