So it appears I may have OCD

Guest MJP

Hi. Having watched the feature on THIS MORNING this morning about OCD, so many alarm bells rang that I found myself compelled to call the advice line. Eventually I was lead to checking the internet and came across this site.

In the past two hours I've gone from being my usual ball of anxiety to almost a feeling of relief and finally a feeling of understanding after 31 years of being in the dark. I have taken the first steps in admitting that I'm more than likely a sufferer of OCD, not to mention some of the associated conditons such as CSP and BDD. The force of this realisation has knocked me off my feet to say the least.

I responded to the item about OCD on THIS MORNING because some of the symptoms that Diane Wilson was describing rang true with myself. What I didn't expect was that I would so strongly identify with many of the other related symptoms that weren't spoken about, but that I have subsequently discovered on this site.

Not being a fan of doctors, having had my fare share of them recently, I have ordered a couple of books about OCD and intend to find out as much as I can about it for myself.

I suppose I'm feeling somewhat sorry for myself now, though as I say there is some sense of relief I feel. At least I can begin to do something about it.

I would appreciate any comments or feedback that anyone wishes to offer, I could do with the support if truth be told.

Thanks for reading and warm regards to you all.

Maria

Guest SUNFLOWER

Hi Maria,

Welcome to the board. I know what you mean it was a relief to me to find out what I was suffering had a name. This site has been a comfort to me and I am sure you will find this too.

Take care

SUNFLOWER

Hi MJP :)

Welcome to the boards, as you can see you are very far from alone or a rarity in suffering from OCD. I myself suffered for twenty-odd years before I was given a title and an explanation as to what it was.

I'm pleased to hear that you've bought some OCD books, I'm sure you'll find even more relief when you read the vast range of symptoms that manifest themselves, they can literally encompass 'any' thought.

Take a look around the site, particularly the home page where you will find lots of helpful information and guidance.

Perhaps at some stage you may feel you'd like to share your particular OCD problems, the things you're having difficulty with and maybe we can help unmask some of them.

As you saw from Diana, the lady on T.V, it is possible to control OCD, although it does require plenty faith and willingness to confront the problem.

Look forward to reading your posts

Caramoole :)

Guest double-two

HI

I too watched This Morning and cried all the way through as i have and am going through so many of the things discussed.

I have just made an appointment to see my GP on Thursday, but am now thinking she may never have heard of OCD - which I know is silly...Isn't it?

I am so pleased i tuned in this morning as I don't normally watch and so pleased that the lady was brave enough to talk about it - as it has helped me so much.

Hi Double Two :hug:

Welcome to you as well and well done for making the appointment, don't worry about seeing your GP, she'll have heard about OCD, although some doctors are better than others.

I don't know what form your OCD takes or how severe it is but it would make sense to ask to be referred for CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy). You may be offered medication and this is something you may or may not want to consider, it's something you'll need to discuss. Even so, the waiting lists for CBT can be very lengthy so it's better to get onto them as soon as you can.

Caramoole :)

Guest double-two

Thank you for your advice.

I am really worried about telling my GP about the thoughts I have and don't know how to explain them. I am frightened she will send me away or something horrible.

I am sure, positive that I would never hurt anyone but amm ashamed of the things that pop into my head and then torment me so much.

I feel like not going to the GP, but would like to talk about it as I hope it will make me feel better.

Thanks again for the replies.

Guest hope125

Hi all the new guys,

I am glad you have found this site, i too only found it fairly recently and it quite honestly has been a God send. You will find everybody to be very supportive and above all, somebody always can understand exactly what you are going through. I have the 'bad thoughts' type of OCD, it is only since 'chatting' here that i know that this is called Pure O - (obsessions based, intrusive thoughts etc) . I feel less frightened now, knowing that i am not alone in this.

Your GP will help, some dr's are more informed than others regarding these type of things, but don't worry, you could call your surgery and ask which Dr has an interest in mental health issues. (By the way please don't be put off by the word 'mental', i know in the past if i even saw the word i would freak out because it would remind me of my 'mental problems'!)think of mental health as just an area of the health service that deals with emotional/psychological problems etc. OCD is a emotional/psychological problem, that is why CBT works so well for OCD.

I have CBT and have found it to be a life saver, you will learn lots of coping strategies - it does help and is worth looking in to.

Take Care all

Hope

xxxx

Guest lidea123

Hey double two and maria!!! Welcome!!! :)

I only joined the site yesterday and i havent felt this positive about controlling my ocd for a long time!! you really have come to the right place. You get 24/7 attention and care on this site and you know that noone will judge you because we are all going through the same thing, however horrendous it is.

When you first find out you have ocd, it is exhiliarating to say the least. I have had ocd since about the age of six and have been aware of the fact for the past five years. The feeling you get when you first find out the way you are feeling isnt insanity or madness is really a feeling like no other. You really have made the first step to recovery!! Good luck!

Luv Lidea

xxxxxx

Guest gemgem

hi welcome to the board,

i was relived to realise i wasnt the only one too!!! everyone here will support u when yr down and celebrate wibv u when u make progress. gemma :)