OCD and Alcohol

Guest bounty17

Guest bounty17

I went out at the weekend and drunk far too much, so much so that I must of passed out and a friend called an ambulance, I then got taken to hospital and then told to wait in the waiting room but I left as was so ashamed. The trouble is this is the jist of the evening, but there are lot of blank bits and blackout moments, I dont remember leaving the club or how I got from the hospital to home etc

Obviously I am extremely ashamed that I got into this state and risked my life, but the thing which is worrying me the most and making me feel ill and panicky is what happened in those blackout periods, what did I get up to, did I hurt myself, inject myself, catch a disease, hurt someone else. Im so worried I did something illegal and that Im going to be in trouble and I cant really focus and stop getting upset and crying during the day.

People keep saying its my OCD taking advantage and making up stuff, but Ive read on the internet people doing uncharacteristic things when drunk and Im so scared of what I have done, anyone else had anything similar

Thats one thing i dont get...alcohol is meant to be really bad for people with ocd or anxiety....not when drinking it but the next day or so.....i wander why it doesnt affect non ocd peoples anxiety levels...i've read it can affect seritonin levels but my mates never show any type of depression or ocd???

Yeah I'm the same, I've pretty much stopped drinking altogether because the next day I just feel terribly anxious and depressed even if I didn't have much to drink. I remember once I'd been for a night out got extremely drunk then the next 2 days I spent thinking "What if someone injected me with a strain of HIV". But yes from what I've been told and heard by anyone suffering from depression or anxiety disorders including OCD, Alcohol is pretty much a definite no no.

shame how we cant go out and have a normal time/fun. so ocd not only impedes on us on a day to day basis, but it actually

effects our social capabilites, due to the repercussions...grrr

so the adviice is.... 2-3 max . until you have gained a huge control over your ocd through cbt .

its also can be another crutch, or a compulsion, where it dampens down the anxiety and thoughts

today i climbed a 1000 steps with the aid of booze, tomorrow ill face 10000 on my own

Guest worrier82

I think that it would be a good idea to not dwell on the "what ifs" and "maybe I's" of the evening. Don't spend your time trying to remember because that will lead to more distress.

Just think about how you will apply your experience to the future...it is teeth grindingly annoying but those of us who suffer with anxiety should avoid overdoing it with alcohol if that sets us off... I have learnt that the

hard way!

Hi bounty 17,

Im so sorry you have been through all that. I can toatlly relate.

OCD and Drinking= no good.

Ive quit drinking for about 8 months, my OCD was alot better, then 2-3 months, again, better...Right now im trying to stop again but find it a bit difficult. I always hate the day after. I too think of things that i MIGHT have done etc etc....I also have this feeling of guilt i can not shake off. Ive tried drinking less, didnt work, even by drinking one single drink, i would feel guilty.

This period, as i mentioned, im still driking, but am trying to cut it off completely. Again, i tried to drink just a bit to see if i can handle both OCD and drinking and i could not. As legend mentioned, better get OCD under a good control before having any type of alcohol on your system.

I love drinking and i hate it ......

Guest Imjob70

Would have to agree, its annoying and I do like a pint...or four. But I have tried to slow my general drinking levels and I find i feel much better in the medium term and not just for the following days. I do remember it not affecting me at all but any hazy or parts of a night forgotten and I go into OCD overdrive.

I think you can lower your intake and still drink personally. Its the back to back big nights out that are problem for me these days and i think it as much a part of getting older as the OCD, but for sure they are poor bedfellows.

Im glad you can handle it lmjob70!

I tried to balance it out, having 2-3 drinks and in the morning trying to get over it, but im not doing very well.

I spend the next day scanning over the previous night again and again and again, even if i dont have hazy parts. Hazy parts of course, are nightmares.

Guest bounty17

Interesting to see all the other posts.

Im just so worried as I got sooooo drunk to end up in A and E, to have massive blackouts of the evening and my friends told me I seemed like I wanted to start a fight with someone, that I've done something stupid.

I've not got my next Psychology appointment til next Wednesday, she has said to let her know if I need help sooner and she will call but it all seems irrelevant to me as no matter how much therapy I have Im convinced this isnt my OCD and I have genuinely done something wrong.

Im worried I have killed someone so am spending a lot of my time checking the local news, I have requested the CCTV from the area from the council as I want to check what I did but that takes 40 days, I dont want to tell any family or friends as it will upset them and Ive tried getting in at the doctors but they have no appointments and have even conscidered going to the Police station to get them to check the area. I keep breathing heavy and crying but it all seems futile as I know that Im going to go to prison

Guest bounty17

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do, should I go to the Doctor, but what can they do if im seeing a Psychologist, Im struggling to function, constantly feeling faint and not sure whether to go to the Police station, I just dont know what to do, I need to know and dont know how I can

Dont worry your not going to prison...This time next week you'll still be on here....you know and i know its the ocd playing its usual tricks...your not the first and wont be the last bounty...I know how realistic ocd thoughts can SEEM...but they're not real not real...

i worry about these things even if i am "sure" i didnt have a blackout or something, definitely ocd

not a good idea to drink that much anyway

especially not with ocd

Guest bounty17

Thats what I mean, because I drunk so much, even without OCD, I could of done anything, alcohol does strange things to people, my friends had left me and I can not fully account for what I was doing. Im just waiting for a body to be discovered or the police to come for me, if not next week the week after etc etc, Can the doctors do anything, I feel like Im going to pass out constantly, I physically dont feel like I can function normally

Guest bounty17

They were found Tuesday morning, could of taken from Sunday til then to find them. I think Im going to go to the Doctors tomorrow but dont know what they can do, I seriously just dont feel like going to work or doing anything anymore, I just want to stay in bed because otherwise I feel faint sick and often hysterical.....Boy do I go on a lot now ive re read my messages!lol

• 10 months later...