Can anyone tell me if it is possible to improve your OCD just with CBT, I want to go to my doctor for help but really do not want medication. I did have CBT and medication together before and did improve but the side effects from the medication weren't very nice and I was wondering if CBT alone would help.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to improve your OCD just with CBT, I want to go to my doctor for help but really do not want medication.  I did have CBT and medication together before and did improve but the side effects from the medication weren't very nice and I was wondering if CBT alone would help.

41480[/snapback]

Hi Toffee,

It is indeed, I beat OCD pretty much without medication at all as do many other people. Medication can only be an individual choice and if you are not depressed and coping ok even with your OCD then I would say go for it with just CBT. However if Depression is an issue or you are not coping on a day to day basis then maybe you should consider looking at the medication option.

Guest gemgem

im on an uber-low does of prozac mainly coz when i dont take it i cry all the time!!! not coz it makes my ocd worse!!

i started cbt recently and its amazing- i feel like i can finally do loadsa brave things ive never been able to do before.

i suppose its personal, but for me if i didnt have cbt i would be getting worse, not better.

gem :)