New girl

Guest Pootle

Guest Pootle

OK...... feel a bit weird here... Hi. I have spent the last 2 evenings reading and reading and reading (hmmmm a tad obsessive perhaps but anyway...)

Have had OCD for about 5 or 6 yrs but NEVER ( and I cant believe I have been such an ostrich about this) actually looked into what it actually meant, what others experienced etc. Flippin 'eck do I wish I had done this before now!!!

I am so so so so so so so sooooooooo relieved. I have been so scared about this. I have been in group therapy for the last 2 yrs but to be honest it is not particularly OCD related and although have been candid it has been very hard as no-one there can understand. I have been and still am so ashamed of the OCD. I also have panic disorder and depression but these are way more socially acceptable I find and are easier to share.

I feel like I have just found family I never knew- weird or what!! I have hidden the violent thoughts for so long- they are so scary., Have been terrified that I would be sectioned/ imprisoned etc but in the past 2 evenings I have learnt that others have the EXACT same thoughts. WOW WOW WOW. So comforting.

All of you, thank you for being brave enough to post what you have. You really have opened the door and shown me a chink of light. Its time I owned up to this problem and started fighting it as at the moment it has got me. That is very scary and reading through I am alternately really pleased and relieved and then quite tearful coz I am actually tackling this head on rather than shuttin git in a box and being an ostrich.

Thanks all of you- I am sorry this is a ramble, hope you make sense of it!!!!

XXXX

Guest Pootle

Hello again- realised that was very rude of me- you dont knw me from Adam... should have really introduced myself.... am 27, am Northern but an exile down south and..... very proudly and after quite a period of being "in the system" now hold down a proper job!

I'll go now..... :lol:

Guest hope125

Hello and welcome to the board!!

My name is Hope, I am 28 and have only fairly recently come across this site myself. I have CBT to help cope with my OCD which i find to be excellent and would recommend it. I must say though ever since i came across this site i feel stronger in dealing with it, i know that i can come online and within minutes somebody will have posted a message to you offering support - it really is like a big family!!! I am glad that you have become a member, you really will find it helps enormously to be able to 'chat' to like minded people. We aren't all that strange a bunch!!! Seriously though, reading posts here has helped me realise what a realtively 'normal' problem this seems to be, you are in good company.

I suffer mostly with the violent thoughts type of OCD - Pure O. I would advise you to have a look around the site you will find some great advice and lots of useful info. I posted a topic a while back entitled 'What to do about the obsessions part of OCD', think it is on page 3 or 4 now but it provides some really useful links to other web sites which may come in handy. If you have difficulty finding it i'll send you the links.

Anyway, a big warm welcome to you!!!

Take Care

Hope

xxxxx

Guest patsy

Hi Vee :lol:

Just wanted to say 'welcome' to the boards here and I hope you enjoy getting to know us all. I'm sure you will as we are a good bunch of people you know :)

I suffer like you from obsessive thoughts and also found it so comforting to know that other people do suffer from the same kind of thoughts as I do. I used to think I was quite unique and that no one could possibly be like me. Like you, I also worried they would lock me up and throw away the key sometime if they knew how I was.

Anyways, I'm glad you have found us and you will find there are many people who are willing to help you in any way they can so don't be afraid to post.

Take care,

Love Patsy x

Guest Muse_Man

Welcome Vee, nice to hear from you!!!

Good luck with confronting the OCD Im sure you will do it :thumbup: Hope the board will help you!!!

Stuart :(

Guest Pootle

thank you all for all your good wishes and welcome here!

hope- thanks for links- got a bit tired last night and some of it a bit heavy so will save for weekend when feel refreshed!

with regards to CBT- as i am currently in group psyotherapy i am not allowed to combine with any other types of treatment, already on meds which they aint happy about but i need for ocd etc. i do really want cbt- had before and it really helped - but unfortunately not willing to sacrifice 2 yrs of hard work in my group. v frustrating that i cant combine tho, :hug: :D

Anyone else come across this???

Hi Vee

welcome to the board (and thank you for replying to my post!)

i've been through general group therapy, and while it was very helpful for depression, anxiety etc., it really didn't totally address the ocd side of things (which i guess is why i am how i am today, lol)

crikey, your group sounds very strict!

Guest Pootle
crikey, your group sounds very strict!

41837[/snapback]

yep caveman it is - the offshoot of a fully fledged therapeutic comunity but i count myself as extremely fortunate to have a place there as there is so little provision and the waiting lists so long...

quite funny really- i got referred to occupational therapist at work for "panic attacks"- which is all they know about at work .... and she did some CBT ... anyway, I forgot to tell my group about this then it slipped out and i got absolutely knackered for it as they accused me of going behind their backs! I had to stop. Like being at school sometimes that place

grrrrrrrr :clapping: :blushing:

Guest rainbow
OK...... feel a bit weird here... Hi. I have spent the last 2 evenings reading and reading and reading (hmmmm a tad obsessive perhaps but anyway...)

Have had OCD for about 5 or 6 yrs but NEVER ( and I cant believe I have been such an ostrich about this) actually looked into what it actually meant, what others experienced etc. Flippin 'eck do I wish I had done this before now!!!

I am so so so so so so so sooooooooo relieved.  I have been so scared about this. I have been in group therapy for the last 2 yrs but to be honest it is not particularly OCD related and although have been candid it has been very hard as no-one there can understand. I have been and still am so ashamed of the OCD. I also have panic disorder and depression but these are way more socially acceptable I find and are easier to share.

I feel like I have just found family I never knew- weird or what!! I have hidden the violent thoughts for so long- they are so scary., Have been terrified that I would be sectioned/ imprisoned etc but in the past 2 evenings I have learnt that others have the EXACT same thoughts. WOW WOW WOW. So comfortin have opened the door and shown me a chink of light. Its time I owned up to this problem and started fighting it as at the moment it has got me. That is very scary and reading through I am alternately really pleased and relieved and then quite tearful coz I am actually tackling this head on rather than shuttin git in a box and being an ostrich.

Thanks all of you- I am sorry this is a ramble, hope you make sense of it!!!!

XXXX

41599[/snapback]

HI Vee

just off to bed and saw your post, want to welcome you xxxx and soooooo very glad you found this brill site and all the brill lovely people here.

well done keep reading and keep posting talk soon

take care lv rainbow xxxxx :clapping: :blushing: :blushing:

Guest MajesticShannon

hi vee,

Glad you have found the site :clapping: Your right, it is a comforting feeling to know that you are not alone with these thoughts. As others have said, the site is great and really supportive.

MS

ps. 'flippin eck' gave it away that you were a fellow northerner :blushing:

Guest gemgem

does group therapy help? my therapist made me wait for a yr on the individual CBT waiting list coz she said group CBT wouldnt help people with OCD.

gem :clapping:

Guest Pootle

hi.... thanks again for all your kind words... I have violent thoughts and i check alot-I also fear contamination but this is milder than than the obsessions I have.. although I am rubbish around dirt/ poison/ food

Guest Pootle

;)

hello again... just thought i would share with you all what my partner just said- he said that in the last couple of days after finding this site I have said more positive things and been more optimistic than at any time after sessions of my group therapy!!!

Praise indeed.... really now wondering what I am doing in my group but will take a long time thinking about it as don't want to make rash decisions I may regret. (plus the Drs and Psychitarist would probs get in a big mood with me If i walked..)

just wanted to share that with you

V

xx :D

;) 

hello again... just thought i would share with you all what my partner just said- he said that in the last couple of days after finding this site I have said more positive things and been more optimistic than at any time after sessions of my group therapy!!!

Praise indeed.... really now wondering what I am doing in my group but will take a long time thinking about it as don't want to make rash decisions I may regret. (plus the Drs and Psychitarist would probs get in a big mood with me If i walked..)

just wanted to share that with you

V

xx :D

42031[/snapback]

Hi Vee,

Welcome to the boards, as you've said, it's such a relief to find a group of people who actually know how you feel and that often for the first time, you realise it's not just you.

I'm glad your boyfriend's noticed an improvement.....not surprising really, we're bloomin marvellous here :thumbup::):)

Look forward to reading you posts

Caramoole :)

Hi Vee

i'm new her as well. I've found this board a life saver, as I don't like being left on my own. I find once i've come on here & read the posts, & given some replys, it's suprising how time flies by.

Look forward in giving u support in the future

Take care

Roxy :D

Guest Pootle

Hee heee --- got my group therapy tomorrow night.. I was just thinking about it.. boy am I gonna bore them stupid!!! I think i have already been boring t'other half and my mum with all my new- found OCD facts and comparisons with others on here. Heeeee heeeeee serves 'em right for not referring me somwhere where they would understand it!! :huh:

Oh well, by this time tomorrow night they are all gonna be experts! :lol2: