Do i have OCD?

Guest krystian1997

Guest krystian1997

Hello, im nearly 15 years old and for the past maybe 2-3 years i think i have OCD but im not sure, so can you please help me? :)

Here are some "strange things" i do:

-When i see sharp objects like knifes or edges of tables etc, it gives me a strange feeling in the eye and i want to look away from it, but sometimes i just cant.

-When i use cups or plates and they are a bit dirty, even if its a small spot, i have to wash them so that they are spot less.

-At school, after using the toilet i dont want to touch the door handle that other people touched so i wait for someone to open the door or i try to open it using the frame.

-When i use the toilet at Home, i always open both of the closing things and check inside for any "spiders" or anything like that.

-Before i go to bed, i always check for "spiders" (again) and other things like that under my bed and on the walls, also sometimes in the corners.

-At night if i have my small window open (because its hot) if i hear a noise i go, open the blinds, and check if theres something outside my window and i get thoughts like "there is going to be someone breaking in at night"

-When i leave the house and close the door, i check its properly closed about 3 times because again i get thoughts that someone is going to break in.

-When im in the kitchen and no one else is at home, after i leave the kitchen i go back and check that i turned off the oven in case of a "fire" - but i did leave the kettle on once and forgot about it (my mum was home) so thats maybe why.

-When i make a cup of tea or coffe i always pour the water to the top, if my mum makes one for me and she leaves a small gap between the tea/coffe and the top of the cup i normally get a bit angry and make another one.

-When i go outside somewhere and im carrying something important, i check every 5 minutes if i still have it and im scared i will loose it. I also get thoughts about what will happen if i loose it.

-On the computer, when im talking to someone and i type something wrong, i quickly type it in again correctly and if i dont then i get angry and normally i write "OMG" or something like that and i try to write it correctly again.

-Again on the computer, on the desktop i like to keep my shortcuts (icons) neat and in place, for example programs in one place and games in another place and i get angry sometimes if i run out of space in a certain place for more icons or when they dont match.

I think thats about it but there might be more, and also should i tell my parents?? please tell me if i have OCD.

Guest ocdfree

its not major but it sounds like you have a bit of a perfection/worry ocd, try not to let things bother you to much ok krystian your only young

example if your computer desk is neat but not perfect, there might be a coffee cup ring or something you notice, leave it for 15 minutes and youll most likely forget about it

ta chris

Guest iamconfused

Hi Krystian

I can’t tell you whether or not you have OCD but I can relate to some of the “strange things” you do. I too have trouble using the school washrooms and when walking around the school, if I come across a pull door, I have to wait for someone else to open it so I don’t have to touch it. When I'm at my cottage, I always check the room thoroughly twice every night for spiders even when I know I already checked the night before. I also check the oven to make sure I have turned it off incase of starting a fire.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to work up the courage to see my family doctor so I can't be certain that what I have is OCD. But if these "strange things" are bothering you, causing you anxiety and interfering with your daily life, then you should talk to someone about it. If you are struggling then you might want to tell your parents. My mother was a lot more understanding than I thought she would be and said she would arrange an appointment for me whenever I ask, but I'm still trying to work up the courage to admit I need help.

Good Luck

Kay

Refusing to touch a door handle at school seems OCD, but not every quirk in life is attributable to this illness. Most of the problems, as described by you, appear to be phobias. I also have arachnophobia, and I fully understand your reason for lifting toilet seats - I do the same thing, for the same reasons; that's why Winter is my favourite time of the year. We're now into Spring, so my check has resumed - c'est la vie!

Guest krystian1997

Thank you all for the replies, i also try to keep my things neat and facing the front recently... I think i do have some sort of OCD, but not that serious.

Thank you all for the replies, i also try to keep my things neat and facing the front recently... I think i do have some sort of OCD, but not that serious.

This is the silver surfer again, Krystian, and I’m back because I feel compelled to reply to your most recent post.

Trying to keep things neat is not necessarily OCD. Many people place things in order because they find the effect very pleasing, and if you place things in a neat and tidy manner because you like things that way, then it’s unlikely that you have OCD. Most OCD sufferers do not have such desires for tidiness, and a visit to my house would remove all doubt about that, but OCD sufferers with compulsions for order and tidiness have to carry out these functions, not because they are fussy but because they feel that something dreadful will happen if they don’t. Are you compelled in your actions – I mean, so overwhelmingly compelled that no power can prevent you from doing them. Do you start crying with stress/distress when you are failing to achieve the desired results? I genuinely hope that you answer no to those questions, because OCD is one of life’s greatest curses, and I would prefer you to be a member of this site as a supporter – rather than as a sufferer.

Very best wishes.

Guest krystian1997

Hmm its strange because things i do change over a thew months. I found that now i check everything very often For example my train ticket that i used (dont need it anymore) but im still making sure its with me in case of something (and then i get thoughts that someone will need it for proof of something etc).