Is this OCD or anxiety that my son is suffering?:-(

Guest Supermammy1

Guest Supermammy1

Hi all hope ur all doin ok?!my young son has been constantly worryin about his clothes been thorn or ripped he's only 4 been he could be in the middle of having fun and plain games and hel ask will his clothes get thorn or will they tear or get ripped :-( this has just occurred in the last 2 weeks so I don't know what to do I to had obsessional thoughts and constantly worried about different things so is this the same I'm soo worried about him :-(

Hey :hug:

It sounds like you are a very perceptive Mum :original: I don't have children of my own but looking back on my own childhood and that of nieces and nephews, I would say that many children have tendencies which could be considered to be obsessive and compulsive. Think of all those games of "don't step on the crack" or "must get to the next lamp post before a car comes". Of course, that's not to say that children don't develop OCD as a child which has a significant impact upon their life. My own OCD started around the age of 7. I think the significant factors to look for would be recurring anxiety which have a significant impact upon your child taking part in activities they enjoy.

I don't think there is anything to be overly concerned about at this stage. It's enough to have an awareness of what's happening. My advice would be to not make a huge fuss - I would even suggest lots of messy play and, when he raises the subject of torn clothing, resist the temptation to give him a great deal of reassurance. Perhaps "If we rip our clothes, that's ok because the shop has lots more clothes we can buy - now, who do you think can be the fastest to the bottom of the garden!!"

Try not to worry, L xx

Perhaps he's responding to a remark you might have made. We all tell our children to "try not to dirty your clothes", etc, and though the comments can be made in a seemingly casual manner to us, a very young child can perceived them as being of monumental importance, because either Mum or Dad implied it, and that's why we have to weigh our words. Lawrie is correct - tell him that playing is very important and clothes aren't at all. That is the reality of it - children soon grow out of clothes, so what does it matter if they are ruined?