Scared of dates

Guest Muse_Man

Guest Muse_Man

Hi everyone,

One of my OCD fears is past dates, especially 1992 :clapping: (exposing myself there), just wondering if anyone else experiences this?

I have this irrational belief that if I ever read, hear, say or think these dates I will return to that date, and I would feel extremely and painfully anxious as though something incredibly bad will happen.

(CBT has helped me control this) I have a habitual compulsion where I had to think from the past date to the present. I would count in centuries and decades to get to 1990 and then in years and months closer to the date. I would have imagine the dates as a continuim as though they were an image, so I could look up and down this line of dates, a bit like senasethesia if anyone has heard of that.

This has been the vein of my life since the age of 16 and has absolutely driven me nuts, of course if I didnt complete going through the dates properly or got interrupted I would have to start again :blushing: And having to think of it as an image completely consumes all my thinking processes. It seems this OCD fear is connected to my social anxiety and my past unpleseant experiences during my lonely and sad teens, worried that I will return to bad times. The CBT has helped immensely, I know the thought and belief is irrational (just seems so real sometimes), its just the horrible unstoppable anxiety feeling I experience everytime and my body and mind instinctively reacts to protect me. :blushing:

I am really interested to know if I am only one here? Let me know,

Thanks,

Stuart :thumbup:

Guest NickNickNick

1996 for me.

Anytime I see something on TV or a movie/etc. that was made in 1996/1997, OR, especially if I see real life footage from those years on TV, I feel immense anxiety, and feel dirty to the point where I may have to shower. It's certainly not as bad as it used to be, and I often do not have to shower anymore, but there's still the anxiety.

Guest Automated Alice

Hmmm, I cant think of any off - hand,

but remember '88 being quite a bit of a head **** , well quite a lot actually, lol

i really must stop swearing :lol:

Guest Kitty

More or less the same as NickNickNick - 1996, 1997 and 1998. The three worst years of my life.

If I see anything related to those dates - even down to the point of seeing people I knew during that period (ie school friends - 96 was my GCSE Year, 97 and 98 were my A Level years) I start to panic something bad will happen or that I'm going to slip back to how ill I was then.

Love K

xx

Guest Muse_Man

Thanks for replying there :)

I feel a bit relieved now that I am not the only one that is scared of dates:blushing:

dont feel so blumin wierd anymore.

1992 (just expose myself again),

What you lot describe sounds like what happens to me, it seems that all my past was bad and unpleasant thats why I am scared of all past dates, and this has also led to me being weary about any date.

Thanks,

Stuart :)