going it alone

Guest emmalou

Guest emmalou

could anybody tell me when suffering from ocd does it ever go away or do you just learn to deal with it better can u self help with books and knowledge if your a really determined person or do u have to go to the professionals :help:

Difficult to answer Emmalou. My own feelings are/were that it can be lived with and controlled pretty successfully. It was a question I asked Prodessor Paul Salkovskis in our recent web chat, you may want to look at the link (mine was the first question so you'll have to scroll right down to the bottom)

Prof Salkovskis Web Chat - Can OCD Be Cured

If you can get good CBT, go for it, it can only help. Having said that, you can also do a great deal yourself with the help of books and support from a site like this.

Caramoole :blushing:

Guest Sammyhostie

Hi Emmalou,

My inspiration and I think a lot peoples on here is Ashie, he had no meds and overcame his OCD by self-help (books, etc)

Ive almost been there once, but I am determined to overcome this some day and lead as "normal" life as I can.

I think it depends on how strong you feel within yourself, sometimes the OCD is so painful, scary and strong that seeking help from professionals would help you a lot.

I think you should try on your own first, by reading the Brain Lock book, and then you can judge for yourself if you think you can do it. I know you can!

Lots of love and strength,

Sammie :blushing:

xxxxx