Getting better...then something bad happened

Guest louise24

Guest louise24

Hi Everyone

Recently I have been feeling so much better. I suffer from contamination ocd but recently I have been doing things I couldn't have done a few months ago (for example, using toilets, going to pub, going to work etc)

I went out with friends on Saturday night and ended up in a local nightclub. We were having a really good night then it happened. On my way to the toilets I slipped on the dance floor and fell on the floor. Now everything feels dirty - my clothes, body etc.

I went home straight away in tears.

How do I get over this??? :)

Thanks

L

xxx

Guest kirk27

Hi, when we make progress we feel great ! and we somtimes vow never t o let the old traits come back or we promise ourselves no relapese!!,

But out of nowhere it can come back to haunt us , i know you are worried but

to get out of how you are feeling now just remember the progress you made

and more importantly what you can do now!! should be easier , at the moment your mind may be ahead of yourself so i say try to relax , try to regain the confidance that you show in your posts becuase i belive you can over come this ,

You may feel dirty but you are not , there is no real contamination , only the silly thought of it that ocd forces upon you ,

So be brave , relax and get back on you horse (so to speak )and show ocd whos boss :)

kirkxx

Guest ScottOCDid

Hi Louise,

I reckon Kirk's right - do everything that you can to "get back on that horse and start riding again".

It sounds like you were making such good progress in getting out and about and coping with the triggers that you obviously found yourself facing. Set backs along the way are par-for-the-course but you've just got to stay strong and keep fighting. It sounds like you could be someone for whom Dr Schwartz's "Four Steps" strategy could well be effective (as detailed in his book Brainlock)

Good luck,

Scott :)

Guest aeon

Hi Louise

Firstly, you're going to be just fine.

Secondly, remember that the human body is defended against the environment by the skin, so you could roll around on the floor all day and nothing would ever happen to you.

Thirdly, remember that your clothes are external to you, they are not part of you, so you should not worry whether they are dirty or not. They can't hurt you.

I expect you don't enjoy a life compromised by contamination concerns, so remember if some concern is going to adversely affect your life, it's not worth carrying on with it. The key is to lose your fear over illness/dying etc and then you can get on with your life. After all, it's not worth having these fears if they're just going to make you miserable all the time.

Rgds

aeon :)