doubt and ocd

Guest jojo**

Guest jojo**

Recently the doubt has got worse over my intrusive thoughts, and they seem powerful and real!!!

it's making me depressed and tired of it all :(

I am even worrying over the doubt and sometimes think that the thoughts are not intrusive, does anyone know why ocd can make you think it's your own thoughts and that there not intrusive?or do we think about the thoughts without knowing because the thoughts has been in your head for ages, not sure if I have explained this very well :/ anyway when i get a thought i shake my head or twitch so i know myself it was an intrusive thought...

does anyone else do this or something similuar i also use to pinch myself when i had a thought

Guest Apple

I sometimes tell myself to shut up after I have a thought. Or a shake my head but recently I have stopped doing that so much. I have been letting my thoughts come and go. I am still a very long way from being better though. Hope you are ok x

Hi Jo

Its just the nature of ocd unforrunately - the more we take the thought seriously, engage with them, ruminate over them the more real they feel. But when you learn to stop engaging with them - they gradually loose their power and you are able to see them as unreal - which they are.

Edited by Zee

HI Zee I have struggled today with thoughts, where do we decide its worth worrying/ruminating about it or not? thank you x

Hi Nikki hope your ok. The way i look at is as follows - i can either listen to the thoughts and drive myself nuts for the rest of my life or accept the uncertainty of whatever my particular ocd "theme" is.

I give you the example "what if i did something awful but i cant remember" - this is one thought i have dealt with. I got through this by accepting the uncertainty - accepting i will never have 100% proof it didnt happen but im prepared to take a gamble and put it down to ocd.

I think its in the Brainlock book where it says "if it feels like ocd, it probably is" in other words whatever your thoughts may be, if they feel like ocd it most likely is and you have a choice on how you respond to them. And if you learn to resist them you will gradually get stronger and your ocd will become weaker.

Zee ;-)

Guest jojo**

how do you know if it feels like ocd?

I do worry a lot but get a lot of mixed feelings and doubt too

my ocd wants me to believe that my thoughts are true

my thoughts are never about "oh what if i did do it" they always seem to be about "you want to do this bad thing" its really messed with my head as it's become quite powerful....

it's taken over my whole life recently, may need to go back on meds....