Poets Corner

Guest rocastle

I love writing poetry!!

That first one was one of the best - well done! :huh:

I have a couple somewhere, but not to hand as I wrote them a few years ago. I think they're in a folder somewhere so shall dig them out as soon as I get the opportunity.

Is there a newsletter? Shows I'm new - I still haven't had chance to look round the site, as I'm always so keen to read the posts on here! :crybaby:

Andrea

• Replies 881
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a newsletter?  Shows I'm new - I still haven't had chance to look round the site, as I'm always so keen to read the posts on here! :crybaby:

17554[/snapback]

Hi Andrea,

Details can be found for our membership package on the main part of our website www.ocduk.org

But anybody that joins OCD-UK as a member gets 6 newsletters a year including content which is not on our website (Interviews etc). The first newsletter will be with members at the end of Nov/Early Dec.

The membership package details can be found here

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Creative Cat

Hi,

Someone sent me this email and I really liked it. It kind of helps put things in persective when I'm in the midst of trying to decide should I worry about something or let it go...

Purple Hats!

In honor of women's history month and in memory of Erma Bombeck who lost her fight with cancer. Here is an angel sent to watch over you. Pass this on to five women that you want watched over. If you don't know five women to pass this on to, one will do just fine.

IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER - by Erma Bombeck

(written after she found out she was dying from cancer).

I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.

I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.

I would have talked less and listened more.

I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained, or the sofa faded.

I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.

I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.

I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.

I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.

I would have sat on the lawn with my grass stains.

I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life.

I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.

Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.

When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner." There would have been more "I love you's." More "I'm sorry's."

But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute...look at it and really see it .. live it .and never give it back. Stop sweating the small stuff.

Don't worry about who doesn't like you, who has more, or who's doing what.

Instead, let's cherish the relationships we have with those who do love us.

Let's think about what God HAS blessed us with. And what we are doing each day to promote ourselves mentally, physically, emotionally. I hope you all have a blessed day.

Hi Marie,

That was really quite touching and very true when talking about putting things into perspective which we all have our moments with!

Glad it helps you put your worries into perspective.

Take care,

Tiny :shutup:

Hi there Marie,That was all so very true,and I try to do some of those things now,especially when my kids want a cuddle :grin: If it wasn;t for ocd,maybe,just maybe,we could manage all of them.Imagine.... :shutup:

Hi Marie,

This has struck a chord for me as my sister-in-law who is only 39 has just discovered she has breast cancer. She is currently undergoing chemotherapy.

Her attitiude to it all is wonderful though; I'm sure she has her down times - but she doesn't really show it.

Thank you

whitebeam

On this type of writing, there is a poem called 'When I am old I shall wear purple'

and that too is about seizing opporunity, no matter how late in life it presents itself.

Very thought provoking Marie, and true :)

Not connected (quite) but similar, I think the best book I've ever read, my favourite, is 'Tuesdays with Morrie' by Mitch Albom. It's the only piece of written word that reduced me to tears. In a similar way it shows us to appreciate and acceot that which we have. I'd recommend it as a good read.

Hi Marie,

A friend sent me this email as well!

It also had this bit on the end:

Beautiful Women's Month

Age 3: She looks at herself and sees a Queen.

Age 8: She looks at herself and sees Cinderella.

Age 15: She looks at herself and sees an Ugly Sister (Mum I can't go to school looking like this!)

Age 20: She looks at herself and sees "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly"- but decides she's going out anyway.

Age 30: She looks at herself and sees "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly" - but decides she doesn't have time to fix it, so she's going out anyway.

Age 40: She looks at herself and sees "clean" and goes out anyway.

Age 50: She looks at herself and sees "I am" and goes wherever she wants to go.

Age 60: She looks at herself and reminds herself of all the people who can't even see themselves in the mirror anymore. Goes out and conquers the world.

Age 70: She looks at herself & sees wisdom, laughter and ability, goes

out and enjoys life.

Age 80: Doesn't bother to look. Just puts on a purple hat and goes out to have fun with the world.

Guest ocdfighter

thanks for that marie,

it certainly does emphasise the point that we only have one life and that we should make the most of it.

Only a couple of weeks ago I learned that one of my students is terminally ill with a really nasty neurodegenerative disease. It fills my heart with sorrow but has also reminded me that I should sieze each day and make the most of this time on earth after all, we have no idea how much life we have left!

M.

• 1 month later...
Guest gemgem

ive been off for a year so far.... :xmas_sad:

only part-time to start with but im really excited! i already did my first-yer in drama and writing, I've had to drop drama coz i dunno if i'll hafta phone in sick or anything so i dont wanna let ppl down coz its always group work, so im doing writing with writing for stage screen and radio.

ive bin writing loads of poetry about OCD and i cant wait to submit it and also perform sum performance poetry and monologues about it...

heres one, i hope other ppl will post sum creative work too:

A Perfect Prison.

What a perfect prison!

Adorned in white matt and Ikea.

The windows can’t ever be opened,

And the outside view is bleak.

They carpet the streets in refuse here,

And the children scream into the night.

I don’t listen: the T.V.’s on loud,

As it puts the mind on mute.

I have everything I ever wanted:

A tense, cloying kind of freedom;

A regimented bedlam; a systematic madness;

And sixteen bars of soap beneath my bed.

I won’t be afraid in my perfect prison,

There’s no silence, no germs, no guests.

The windows can’t ever be opened,

And the inside view is bleak.

Guest gemgem

thanx

i cant even go near the doors o fthem at the moment or even near wet floor cones in cas ethyve been in the loos or ppl with cleaning uniforms on incse theyve been cleaning loos i cnat even use the one at my grandmas house or my boyfriends house!!! blah!!! :xmas_sad:

im so scared though coz its in Bolton (about an hour away) n i still cant go to public loos!!! 

Is it Bolton Institute you're studying at gemgem? If so I did my degree there - mine was in Creative Writing and Literature and I spent the last year of my Creative Writing course doing the writing for stage, screen and radio module.

If you ever want any help or advice PM me anytime - I know a lot of the lecturers and have kept in touch with them since I left!

Take care

Queenie

x

Guest gemgem
im so scared though coz its in Bolton (about an hour away) n i still cant go to public loos!!! 

Is it Bolton Institute you're studying at gemgem? If so I did my degree there - mine was in Creative Writing and Literature and I spent the last year of my Creative Writing course doing the writing for stage, screen and radio module.

If you ever want any help or advice PM me anytime - I know a lot of the lecturers and have kept in touch with them since I left!

Take care

Queenie

x

25405[/snapback]

yaeh- bolton institute- but now its the university of bolton

ill get in touch if i get stuck! thanx very much! :xmas_sad:

im so scared though coz its in Bolton (about an hour away) n i still cant go to public loos!!! :)

25365[/snapback]

Hi gemgem,

Public toilets are a problem and not only amongst people with OCD - sometimes they are just horrid :) .

However, if you can make yourself use them - it does get easier (honest!!).

For quite a while I was almost housebound, due in part to the possible need to use a loo away from home, but after quite a lot of treatment (meds and therapy) I can now use loos, and the more I use, the easier it becomes. (Not that I go out purposely searching for loos, but if I do have to go it is not the nightmare it used to be.)

A little word of warning (and this is mega-embarrassing :xmas_sad: ). When I was still working, I wouldn't use the loo there and one day the worst thing did happen - I didn't quite make it into the loo at home :) .

I can talk about it now but at the time I was absolutely mortified - also I had to put loads of things into quarantine as well as scrub the carpet to within an inch of its life - it would have been so much easier to use the one at work!!!