Can OCD be passed through genes?

Guest PinkFairy

Guest PinkFairy

Hello, Since being diagnosed with OCD, One question keeps coming to mind. Is my 6 month old son going to suffer with it too or is it just me worrying over nothing??? please help me find the answer as don't want my son to suffer like i have.

Thank you in advance. xxx

Guest sarah1984

Hello Pink Fairy,

There's all sorts of theories as to what causes OCD but there's no conclusive scientific evidence to prove that OCD is passed on through genes. There is a likelihood that people with OCD will have a family member who also has OCD or another mental health issue but this doesn't necessarily prove that OCD has a genetic basis. Some experts believe that the environment in which you grow up can influence the likelihood of developing OCD - for example, if a parent suffers from anxiety problems they are unlikely to be able to teach their children effective strategies for dealing with anxiety. The best thing you can do for your son is to seek the help you deserve. If you can develop effective strategies for dealing with anxiety you can then pass them on to your son.

Please try not to panic - there's no reason why your son need go through what you've been through.

Sarah

It certainly seems to be in my family genes, so yes I believe that it can be. HOWEVER, it's important to realize that although ocd can feel terrible (believe me I know :original:), there are much worse things one can have and that it can be overcome.

Guest PinkFairy

Now i look at it from that point,

Yes i agree there are much worse things that can be genetically passed down than OCD.

Thank you very much for the advice. xxx

Guest Supermammy1

Yes I do believe it can be the environment u grow up in but I defintly think it's genetic as my dad has bi polar and mild OCD I have anxiety/OCD as does my other sibling and now my young son has showed signs of it hasn't been officially diagnosed but I think he has since the age of 2..

Guest tiredOfOcd

Hello, Since being diagnosed with OCD, One question keeps coming to mind. Is my 6 month old son going to suffer with it too

I had the same questions about my 2 year old when I finally sought treatment.

My therapist said there is a genetic component. But then it gets tricky. There is roughly a 20% chance your children will inherit the genes that can cause the tendency to develop OCD.

And even then, they will have to go thru the right traumatic events at the right times in their lives to trigger it.

IOW its not guaranteed. And even if they do develop it, they are in the perfect palce - you can recognize it and get them help and offer help of your own based on your experiences.

Guest Supermammy1

I agree that not all children will inherit this disorder but I got it as a child had a very good upbringing no trauma in my life I just developed it as for my son he has the same no trauma at all I just think it's totally genetic and there is a very high change it can be passed down I was told that if more than one person has it in the one family there is a 70% change it can be passed down to the next generation.

Guest tiredOfOcd

I agree that not all children will inherit this disorder but I got it as a child had a very good upbringing no trauma in my life I just developed it as for my son he has the same no trauma at all I just think it's totally genetic and there is a very high change it can be passed down I was told that if more than one person has it in the one family there is a 70% change it can be passed down to the next generation.

Who told you 70%? I'm very curious as to how they arrived at that number. It seems incredibly high compared to results of studies done in the 80s that I read about.

There's a theory that everyone - the population of the entire planet - exhibits some OCD. Its just part of how our nervous systems work. The problem with folks like you and I is that we cannot shrug it off and think "gee, that was strange" and our wiring allows it to become so intrusive as to severely impact our lives. Which is the other thing about OCD - its not a problem unless it becomes a problem.

I don't think your son will develop OCD. But even if he does, NOTHING says it will be as bad as your's or mine. It could express itself in a completely harmless fashion. My son used to arrange toy cars on the living room floor in just a particular fashion. Was that OCD? Maybe. So what?

Or it could not express itself at all - which is what I'm betting will be your son's experience.

Guest Supermammy1

A phcologiist informed me all about it as I had concernes about my son as he has OCD and I wanted to know if I had more children would I have another child with it

As I've said i have a few family members with it so the percentage is higher if there is only one family Member or just yourself that has it the changes of ur child getting it is

Quite low.

Hi, Pink Fairy!

I feel that your greatest problem is going to be over-analysis. You must not fall into the trap of thinking that every repetitive action is OCD. He will probably place toy cars in rows regularly - copying what he observes, not as a result of possible OCD. All children carry out repetitive actions, especially when playing alone, so don't start playing the psychiatrist by assuming you're seeing things that are, in reality, nothing more than normal behaviour patterns.