Groinal response - is it now real arousal or not?

Guest Gloria123

Guest Gloria123

yeah and that´s the fact i´m somehow unable to accept...that ocd can give me a feeling i used to feel in very private but also "clear" situations....and not in front of kids etc :(

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well unfortunately its a fact your going to HAVE to accept. Its hard for all of us who have this, especially this particular one. But there is only one thing you can do.... Accept it. If you dont, you will always feel bad about yourself xxx

Lucy xxx

Guest Gloria123

hmm...wikipedia says: "However, the sufferer's constant focus on not becoming aroused or checking that they do not become aroused may lead to 'groinal response'. Many OCD sufferers take this groinal response as actual arousal, when in reality it is not."

So maybe it´s no actual arousal?

Bad move gloria (looking for answers on the web). You will get thousands of different responses and reasons and beliefs on the net gloria. Unfortunately all you have done now is given into your ocd and now your going to question and question even more xxx

Lucy xxx

I haven´t heard it, too...I just thought it is some kind of arousal

you have over the last 1-2 weeks gloria, and sadly your not accepting the info thats provided to you . and that info has been given by us, the therapist etc etc

etc, and it reasurance to the hilt, in the same way as saying to someone yes your hands are clean etc .

frustraing to us at is to you, but in my opinion this thread has given wonderful knowledge, now its acting as a font of reasurance, which isnt beneficial

Guest Gloria123

Yes but I still wonder why the informations are so differently? I mean why do some people say that it IS real arousal and some (as wikipedia) say that it´s NOT (so why is it called "groinal response" and not "arousal" if it really is one)?

I have to agree with legend here. I feel like this particular post is of no use to you now. You have been given loads of replies. What your feeling etc has been clearly, very clearly explained to you. And i hate to say it but i feel i have reassured you alot through this post. Although ive tried not to, i just felt so bad for you as ive suffered with the worry of this. But inspite of all the very accurate information from (in my opinion) experts here (yes, we are experts more so than anyone because we are sufferes) you are still googling etc and its causing you to be more anxious. Do you really think this is beneficial to you? Xx

Lucy xxx

Yes but I still wonder why the informations are so differently? I mean why do some people say that it IS real arousal and some (as wikipedia) say that it´s NOT (so why is it called "groinal response" and not "arousal" if it really is one)?

cos your ruminating and looking for certainty. and yes despite our knowledge and a professionals advice you continue to do so. why is that ?

change it, and ,make yourself better.

Well I don´t know but isn´t it normal that somebody gets a little uncertain if there are two differenct statement ("it´s real" - "it´s not real")?

thats the case when you research for answers to an irrational question, confliction, adds doubt, to a doubting desease, which causes more doubt.

stop researching.

Guest Gloria123

But wouldn´t it be helpful to know (and get other opinions) whether it´s real or not? I think that it would be easier for me to unhook it when i could say "don´t worry it´s not real"...but if I don´t know what it really is how should I calm myself?

Hey gronial response is no Biggs u blowen it out of proportion , u have conditioned yourself to respond that way by constantly focusing on that area , that area is very sensitive and is designed for pleasure so if u focus on it it will feel tingly but that's all it is a automatic response to the thought . I used to have a another obsession that was totally different from pocd but I won't go into details about , but it made me constantly check my hand I used to feel it pulsating constantly cause I was always checking it .

Stop thinking of this big awful thing and being hard on yourself let it go and it will ease up and fade away I promise I have been

But wouldn´t it be helpful to know (and get other opinions) whether it´s real or not? I think that it would be easier for me to unhook it when i could say "don´t worry it´s not real"...but if I don´t know what it really is how should I calm myself?

by stop asking. stop responding to it, theres no solution, the only solution is to change the way you respond, and that, simply to put it is the only solution

But how am I able to stop asking and responding when I still don´t know if it is a real or the same arousal I get when I´m around my bf?

by taking the leap of faith, and accepting that it happens. and allowing the doubt to be there...... whether its a door locked, hands clean enough, am i peadophile, do i have cancer, is my dog pregnant, can i kill someone, the knife in my hand gives me arousal, its all unwanted its all doubt, its treated the same way, which ever way you paint the picture, because it has a treatment called cbt and exposure therapy

perhaps youll post tomorrow, or in 2 ins, whats real whats not, it doesnt matter, its wasting your life, change it, change it now

Guest Gloria123

I just meant that some people seem to know the answer if it really is real or not...of course i will never know why i have that and how it is possible but i think that it would help to know what this feeling is (real or not?)?

I just meant that some people seem to know the answer if it really is real or not...of course i will never know why i have that and how it is possible but i think that it would help to know what this feeling is (real or not?)?

reasurance doubting anxiety fear ruminating . happens, accept , change still looping

but i need to know why it happens, is it real or not ? some say it is some it isnt. ..... the mind of a ocd sufferer, sad and frustrating :O( no answers, because i

need to know, i need certainty, i crave an answer, which ill never have, but i need it. ... ...... :O(

Some people have different opinions on this gloria, same as peoples opinion differ on many thing. Doesnt make one opinion right and one wrong ..... Its all different peoples perceptions of things. For me, it IS REAL AROUSAL sensations, caused by my ocd. For others it may not feel like that. All i know is that i have nothing to be ashamed of and whether real or not...its still all down to my ocd. Your making your own life more difficult now gloria xx lucy xxx