can you block out the memory of hurting someone?

Guest Leighbee

Guest Leighbee

Hi

I had my 2nd CBT Session today and one of my fears is that i harmed (in a sexual way) a child when i was 13. I have clear memories of the time this child was around and never had any thoughts that i had harmed her untill i had my first major OCD relapse when i was 21, up untill that time this thought never entered my head.And i quickley recover from this relaspe i have now had another relaspe im 38 now and this is one massive hurdle for me as i keep trying to remember and i see things which i dont beleive are true. Any way i spoke to my therapsit today about this and i asked her if it is possible that i have blocked out doing this disgusting thing. She said she couldnt say as she wasnt there at the time which didnt really answer my question? Now im terrified that i have blocked doing this out?? i have heard that people can block out bad things that happen to them but can you block out carrying out harm?

WOrried!!

Leigh

I think the problem is leigh is your falling into the trap of trying to distinguish whether it happened or not, and this is because of the intense feelings

you are getting , stemming from the unwanted thoughts and images.

What one should be working at is resisting the urges to keep going over and over, and also acceptance that you have ocd. I think your therapist may of

not answered because if she had perhaps it would have fallen into the reasurance trap., and what your ocd is now saying is it did happen and youve

tried to block it out, and again due to not having clarity, and the power of the bully, it makes you believe that you have blocked it out

HOW can i be sure ? thats ruminating, which never works. Working at cbt and change your way your responding to it does.

The horrid feelings will go away, just takes lots of efforts and courage X