Sertraline opinions?!

Guest Red89

I've been on sertraline for almost 5 years now. The last couple of years I've felt as though its no longer helping. My OCD has worsened and a few months ago I was prescribed diazepam daily (mow stopped) and sleeping tablets on top of the sertraline. I have seen my GP about it but was told that as I've been on sertraline for so long it will be difficult to change medication now. I'm due to start counselling and after will be referred for CBT however I'm still not happy with the sertraline. I've been on the highest dose for about 2 years so increasing the dose isn't an option.

Does anyone think its worth getting a second opinion or is the GP right; it would be too difficult to swap medications?!

Guest Zippo3342

I would recommend seeing a psychiatrist and getting a second opinion. I do not know what your GP is going on about it is not difficult to change SSRI's at all because they are in the same class of medication.

It is possible for SSRI's to just stop working after a number of years and a psychiatrist knows what to do to fix it, whether it be changing the SSRI or supplementing it with something whilst varying the dose. I remember seeing a whole scientific article on the Psychiatry journal website about what to do in your case but I can't seem to find it again.

Hope you get your meds right again.

Guest FobicFairy

Hi Red,

I think your GP is wrong, unless of course you have tried every drug going and are at the end of your rope! I imagine not from what you say. I would ask for a referal to a psychiatrist and let them sort the meds out, they are the experts after all. GP stands for general practitioner, which means they know a little bit about a lot of things. Consultants are experts in a particular area. I hope you can find another med that works better, it will make it easier to face CBT when the time comes. Good luck with it all. I should of just said "ditto Zippo"!

FF x

I think a good psychatrist knows better what to do. According to mine Sertralin, which I also (currently 200mg) take, can be used up to 400mg daily - more than mentioned in the description - in case of severe OCD. SSRIs like Sertralin for OCD often rquire to be used in higher than "normal" dosage. I assume that a normal may GP not have this information.

Kakop