Why keep doing it to myself

Guest Alex2012

Guest Alex2012

Having split up with my fiance, after a very rocky relationship. I decided to act like an idiot and get drunk. Now I am feeling as low as can be. My anxiety has stepped up a level and I am beginning to feel really vulnerable. I have today moved a few things out of the home we shared and am staying with some friends. I know I shouldn't let it get to me but it is. So much has happened lately and now I have to deal with the alcohol come down. Please help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Alex2012
Hi there,

How are you feeling now? Are you feeling any better?

I did get my self on the straight and narrow for a while but have just gone around in a full circle. Alcohol is a demon to me and my OCD.

Guest angelcat

alcohol is a depressant and certainly increases anxiety the next day. Are you on any medication? Alcohol can play with that too. I'm sorry about your relationship. Did you ex have an understanding of your ocd

Guest lucylia

Alcohol is a demon to me and my ocd,anxiety,depression..... But because of the high it gives me at the time (its like im normal and dont have an illness when im drinking) i keep doing it and i dont know if i will ever learn. Ive noticed a big increase in my drinkin the past 2 months xx

Lucy xxx

Guest lucylia

Probably not no..... Cause i know what they would say and im scared to hear the truth. I know i have a problem. But i also know i wouldnt have a problem if i didnt have this stupid illness.. so hopefully if i get proper help with my anxiety i wont want to drink as much xx

Lucy xxx

Hi there,

Lucy, I agree that it might be a good idea to let your therapist know that your drinking has increased markedly. I noticed for a time that I was drinking more to cope with my OCD, simply because it took the edge off my OCD. But I have seen a drinking problem in someone close to me so I was resolute that it wouldn't happen to me. A good therapist should help you to find better coping mechanisms, rather than judge you or anything like that (if that is what you are worried might happen).

Guest lucylia

I dont want her saying the word "alcoholic" cause that means never ever drinking again and i know that even if i managed to cut right down i will drink at social events etc.... Thats why i dont wanna say it and be told that cause i will never be able to drink again. Even if i cut it to one night a month, once you are labelled alcoholic u cant drink ever again xx

Lucy xxx

I'm not sure you are necessarily an alcoholic though - it's possible to have a drinking problem without being an alcoholic (not that I am saying you have a drinking problem, I'm just trying to understand what you might be saying). I would hope that your therapist would be supportive and if you tell her that you fear being called an alcoholic then perhaps she would take that into account before saying anything. If your drinking is purely down to trying to cope with OCD then hopefully she can teach you different ways to cope with the anxiety.