morning anxiety

Guest penny0305

Guest penny0305

Hi

Does anyone else find their ocd and anxiety hits hard as soon as you wake up. I find it traumatic waking up, heart racing,overwhelming dread. If I'm not at work it's worse, just want to pull the covers over and hide away. It eases off a bit when I get up and get going, but it's so extreme I'm scared to go to bed at night.

I'm seeing a psychiatrist soon as I'm having problems tolerating anti depressants.just wondered.if anyone else experienced this morning panic and what helped for them.

With love

Penny

Guest Hockey30

Yep, mornings are always the hardest part of the day I find, as that is when you are tired, thirsty and lacking energy, and so the OCD has a field day. To be honest I found that the best thing to do is just to get out of bed as soon as you get up and go straight to the shower. That way you will be instantly waking yourself up. Don't give yourself time to think. Also, maybe give yourself 15/20 minutes to do some breathing exercises and mindfulness meditation. That can help quite alot with a racing mind. In general I find that the best thing to do in the morning is just to get up and go, before you know it you will be at work and the OCD will take a back seat for the day. Eating healthy and exercise are also extremely beneficial.

Guest NicePerson

Hi, I was going to post this exact question as I've noticed first thing in the morning is the worst part of my day too. It's like all the hard work I did the previous day in battling ocd with my mind and feeling better is forgotten, and anxiety and nausea can run riot. I do find that getting up and showering quickly helps and the second I step outside for fresh air I feel a lot better. Thanks for the advice in the reply above, I still need to learn about mindfulness/meditation exercises and hope that helps too.