OCD and Depression

Guest Lostie

I suppose depression really goes hand in hand with ocd when you think about the stress it can have on your mind. I've been experiencing mass depression since mine started and I'm just wondering if anyone has any wisdom on this. In a way they can sort of fuel each other.

Not sure if its the holidays or not my OCD has definitely been at a high all over Christmas and today

Thanks in advance for any help xx

Guest Hockey30

Well it is very hard to make progress with OCD if you are in the grips of depression. Meds are not to everyones taste, as some people decide to fight it without the help of medication. Personally I have found that it removed alot of the anxiety and depression I was feeling, and so I have been able to deal with the intrusive thoughts alot easier. Maybe talk to your GP about it?

Guest sarah1984

Hi Lostie,

I agree with Hockey that it would be worth talking to your doctor about the possibility of medication. Sadly, there's no miracle pill out there that will "cure" you of OCD and depression but meds can help take the edge off your anxiety and improve your mood. You're spot on that depression and OCD very often go hand in hand. The most effective treatment for both conditions is cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT for short). You mention you're having counselling at the moment - can you confirm whether it's counselling or CBT? Talking things over with a counsellor can be therapeutic but counselling is not a recommended treatment for OCD. You need to tackle your fears head on instead of just talking about them. If you are looking for a CBT therapist in Ireland, I would recommend looking at the following page from OCD Ireland on finding a therapist: http://www.ocdireland.org/psych_or_therapist.shtml

Sarah

Guest Running Man

Hi Lostie,

From my own experience yes depression can go hand in hand with OCD. I too suffer from intrusive thoughts and have suffered from bouts of depression in the past. I have received therapy, including CBT, but have been taking medication for many years. I currently take Sertraline. The medication certainly takes the edge off the anxiety and assists me in keeping depression at bay. Historically my OCD has been bad at Christmas-time, in my case to do with perfection and expectations.

If I can help you any further let me know.

Guest dimmerswitch

Hi Lostie.

It's a good question you have asked. I have had my OCD now for 20 years, and I've been taking a small dose of Venlafaxine anti-depressant for most of this period.

I do suffer from depression which obviously makes me more susceptible to increased levels of anxiety, which as most OCD sufferers would agree opens up the door for heightened OCD activity. I often think of it as Chicken and Egg. Does my OCD trigger my anxieties and depressions, or does my depression and anxieties trigger my OCD.

One thing I know for sure is they are inextricably linked!

I agree with Sarah, I have had counselling in the past, and while hepful to talk about my issues, CBT helped me tackle these head on. CBT uses exposure methods, which is all about acknowledging your intrusive thoughts, and trying to accept them as just thoughts like any other we have. This is hard I know. I still struggle day to day. Some days good and some days are terrible. What I do know is, with the help of CBT, I have a better equipped set of tools to help me deal with OCD.

I would also speak with your GP. Discuss your OCD issues, and also that you have been experiencing mass depression.

At the moment you have two issues to tackle, with the help of your GP, you may be prescribed a very low dose of one of the anti depressants available which will help to ease your mood. Of course, I'm no GP, I'm just a fellow sufferer, but it seems to me you need support in tackling the bully that is OCD.

We are always here on this forum for help and support. I find this forum invaluable.

Good luck Lostie.

Guest FobicFairy

My depression was so bad that my life wasn't worth living, meds have turned my life around and I am so glad I found something that works, even if it did take a while to find which were suitable.

I would see your GP if I were you and talk about your options. I do hope you find a way to improve things soon.

FF x

Hi Lostie,

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with both OCD and depression :(

I too have suffered from both, OCD since I was 15 (now 26) and severe depression on and off since the age of about 18. I have tried several different anti-depressants (SSRIs and SNRIs) over the years, as well as a couple of atypical antipsychotics. When I finally found medication that suited me and worked, I found it so helpful in lifting my mood. But CBT is the treatment that has the biggest chance of having a long-term effect, whether that is in conjunction with medication or on its own.

I would really recommend having a chat with your GP, as well as clarifying whether it is counselling or CBT that you are receiving.

Thanks for all the replies, have given me a lot to think about. Firstly I have arranged to see the GP in a few days, I'm gonna bring the ice breaker sheet on the website I think, but I am sooo scared of what to say to him or how to act.

As for my counselling, well my therapist has been a great source of comfort to talk to about a lot of things, we did a bit of CBT but I'm not sure it worked quite well I have a pretty bad memory :). I don't think she knows anything about OCD at all tbh, its never been mentioned, intrusive thoughts and anxiety have kind of been the jargon and dialect really