I have been working with my therapist on my evaluation of risk of contamination and I said I find it hard to not believe the adverts etc about not touching door handles as you might catch something. I've been told to just open doors etc in the office and not wash my hands. But I work in office management and have been asked by another member of staff to ask people to wash hands more etc because of the flu, colds and noro (my worst fear)!!! How can I do that at work whilst trying to not be obsessed with them myself?!

Guest FobicFairy

While 'normal' people sometimes need a remnder to follow good hygiene practices people with contamination need to learn to worry less.

When i go to the hospital i never use the hand gel. Wasing your hands properly after using the loo, before you eat or prepare food is good enough.

For someone with ocd its important to take risks, thats why after ERP 5 years ago i still take those risks. If i started using the gel again my use of it would snowball and i could quite easily end up in the grip of ocd again. 5 years of taking those risks and i know that my ocd fears were hugely out of proportion.

I think of myself as an alcoholic, the odd tipple (gel usage) will lead to more drinks (compulsions) and soon things spiral out of control.

Its hard to explain what i mean, just try to trust your therapist despite what action you need to take at work.

FF xxx

Guest Annabel

Hi Jennielouises,

I guess you should pass on the message but listen to your therapist. Provided you wash your hands before putting them in your mouth, eyes (flu can be caught that way), touching your face, preparing food or eating you'll be okay.

I think your colleague will just be wanting people with poorer hygiene to wash their hands more regularly- many probably don't wash their hands after using the toilet and before eating so it makes sense!

xx

Edited by Annabel
Guest OCDude

Thats interesting FobicFairy. As a contamination OCD sufferer myself, I also do not use the hand wash in hospitals. This is more then likely down to the fact that the source of contamination for me is myself.

I did use hand gel at one point all the time but it got to the point where that was not enough so I stopped using the hand gel and have instead created separate worlds. One work and one home. Although this is not good, I am working on it and as a bonus, I no longer use hand gel at all at home.

It is great to hear that you have been ok for 5 years. Would it be possible for you to give some tips or advice on ERP. I have done it before, but it would be nice to hear from someone who has been successfull with it,