Anyone get embarassed discussing their OCD?

Guest Christian002

Guest Transcendental
Does anyone think their OCD is too strange or embarassing to talk about?

Yes definitely with my parents. Luckily I can speak to my brother in complete confidence because he is also a sufferer, and I can come on here

Guest irretractable

Yes!!! I'm gaining more confidence talking about it (like people at work know I have OCD b/c I kind of joke about it). But I was really open with someone the other day then felt totally mortified that I had revealed all the strangeness about myself...

Guest Christian002

Seems I'm not on my own. I just find it difficult telling proffesionals ( or anyone) because some of mine are just really bizzare, I get embarrassed just thinking about them. They sound silly when I say them our loud but in my mind its really important things that I have to do.

Does anyone think their OCD is too strange or embarassing to talk about?

For sure, especially with my fears of bodily fluids, and partly why I stopped therapy with my therapist. But, I know this is my issue, and I need to man-up and get myself back into therapy. What I now realise is that I would rather be embarrassed for a hour each week for a few weeks, than have years of OCD ahead of me. I guess we both need to suck-it-up and talk anyway Christian?

I have never been afraid to tell anyone about my ocd or been embarrased about it i don`t know why i am just open about it to anyone and i think the more people who can it will get it out there more though i can understand why you find it hard to buit never be ashamed or embarrased of who you are.

Guest FobicFairy

I have always just been honest about my OCD, with family and friends, and even with people in my art classes, I have never had a bad response, I thought they would see me doing weird things anyway so I just told them why I was not able to put my bag on the floor etc etc. I have also told people I am bi-polar, which was a bit scary because of the stereotypical person who gets manic and does bizzare things, but I have never had mania so I explain that to them. A lot of people seem interested in knowing how it works.

Yes I know bi-polar without mania is an odd thing, but I do get hypermania now again which is much less than actually being manic. Mine is a very depressive type of bp, and rapid cycling. It was good to find out there was a reason for my depression and it wasn't my fault for not trying hard enough to get well, cos boy did I work hard on helping myself. It was nice when I was better and everyone was commenting on it to explain what was wrong and how Ive been well for over a year now. Lots of people seem really pleased for me, when I was ill it great not having to force myself to act normal when ive been dying inside.

Oooh Ashley you have let things slip again, I hope you can get some help soon and kick OCD ass. You have done it before so you know the therapy works and that if you push yourself a bit you can soon be well again. Good luck.

Today I am going to my art class and know there is dog poo outside, I am not looking forward to going but I will go and once Ive walked past it and got inside it wont be long before I forget about it.

FF xxx

Guest Hunnibee85

I find it hard to talk to my parents about it, my nan I talk to about it very easily, me & her are very close but I do feel bad about not telling my parents even I suffer.

The man I'm seeing knows, I've only known him 2-3 weeks & I've just been totally up front about it....just felt I had to & wanted too.

HB x

Guest orange socks

its never ever been a problem with me, or for me ,to be honest - i will talk to anyone about my ocd - the simple reason being, every time i have done it i have only ever got a positive reaction - and everyone i have ever spoken to (and there have been lots ) either knows someone who has ocd - or confesses to having it themsleves- or similiar anxiety issues.

we build up stuff in our minds sometimes about how we think people are gonna react and sometimes that just isnt true

if anyone does laugh behind my back hey thats fine too - i dont find it hard to share at all and have always had a great response , even off people who dont fully understand it

to be honest i make a joke out of it and myself now - i'm that bad with my ocd :rolleyes:

the 1 exception to the above was my parents who i protect from my going on about ocd cause i know my suffering from it upsets them - but everyone else i just tell :)

Edited by orange socks

Told my parents and sister - they all totally ignored it and moved on in the conversation (granted it was over the phone) and it's not been spoken about since - this was a year ago when I realised It's ocd I've had for the last 25 years.

Told my best friend of 16 years over a month ago, she replied "i don't see ocd as an illness" and "so you can't work with ocd" "you didn't need a doctor to tell you that" with relation to my sick leave (it's like yeah, i've worked for the last 20 years!! Grrrrr) and since I cancelled dinner with her and some friends 3 weeks ago (by the way my parnter went and when asked how I was he told them I'm not doing too good, they didn't say anything, just moved on in conversation) and I haven't heard from her since, despite her knowing I've jacked my job in and I've been out of the house about 10 times in the last 2 months. So, after 25 years of silence that's the reactions I get. I know I do sound bitter and self pitying but it does hurt.

However, I am only expressing my story and I am encouraged by other peoples' responses - it's good to hear not everyone is like my family :original:

Guest FobicFairy

Other members of my family have had depression so had some idea about how I was feeling, so that helped. I suppose if your parents or friends have never suffered with any type of mental health problem it can be hard for them to relate to you. But having said that, surely we can all try to be open minded and caring when it comes to supporting our loved one!

Sorry to hear about you having to give up work LT, I worked for 20 years before I had to leave work, I tried my best for 11 months on and off but had to agree with my employer it was time to go because it wasn't fair on them, they were briliant though. Despite my anxiety, OCD and depression I only ever had 4 weeks off relating to mental illness in those 20 years, so it does hurt when people think that giving up work is the easy option. I didn't know how I would cope with the drop in income, although the pressure of work was gone, the pressure of dealing with the mental illness at home alone with lack of cash replaced it.

I don't think you sound self pitying, and even if you did feel bitter I wouldn't blame you. Lets hope when you get the help you need you can let any bad feelings go. At least any friends you make now are being friends because they like you warts and all, so maybe OCD is a good friend filter!

FF xxx

Hi FF

Yes, I guess it's difficult for me to appreciate that people close to me may not be very MH aware, but from conversation about my work (I'm a mental health nurse) I realise from their reactions perhaps they don't know what to say. My automatic negative responses kick in and tell me it's beause they think I'm making it up or I'm exaggerating it and the good ol I should "just get on with it" attitude. Because they haven't talked to me about it I am assiming all sorts of bad things.

And yes the work thing is very difficult - it's no easy decision to give up a job and the stigma attached makes it even more difficult.

Hey Ho, god I'm going on - I'll put the violin away now :original:

Thanks for your kind words, I appreciate it and it's great to hear that your family have been supportive - that's encouraging LT :original:

Guest nervous

I have only told my wife and my mom because coming out and saying it would be too hard, I suspect other people in my family know I figure my mom has told them. I dont mind them knowing I just cant seem to say the words myself. I hope in the future to be able to speak freely about it and hopefully from the recovered side of things.