Sertraline side effects?

Guest Christian002

Guest Christian002

Well, upped my dosage to 100ml this morning, after a week on 50ml. now, I literally don't have the energy to do anything. I attempted to do some work around the house, but when I stand up I just feel dizzy and my legs feel weak. I can't stop yawning and basically just feel out of it. Anyone else experienced this? And if so how long will it last, is it just a short term side effect, as I can't function properly like this.

Guest Christian002

Oh and also, side effects in the bedroom department. Lack of, (if any) sensation and struggle to climax. Anyone else had this? If so, is it short lived?

Guest Christian002

I never asked him to up the dose. When I went last week. He prescribed me sertraline (25ml) and said take one a day for the first week then 2 daily the second week. Are you not on sertraline?

Guest irretractable

I felt really tired when I first started, but it got better in a few weeks. I'm on 100mg currently. I was on 200mg, but the tiredness never went away at that dose. The sexual side effects got better but have never totally gone away unfortunately...

Guest Christian002

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully my body should adjust then! Hopefully I won't need 200mg, have you found sertraline helps you then? Is it a long term drug?

Edited by Christian002
Guest irretractable

I'm guessing your body will adjust. :original: Higher doses are supposed to work better for OCD, but it didn't really for me. Yes, sertraline helps me immensely. It doesn't get rid of my obsessions and compulsions, but it's allowed me to participate in therapy and live a functional life. I'm on many medications now, but sertraline was the first one, and I've been on it for 10 years (on and off, interspersed with other SSRIs/SNRIs). It was pretty much a miracle drug, opened my life up in so many ways. I was so nervous about going on it but am so grateful I did. Hope it helps you! (and yes, you can definitely take it long term)

Guest sarah1984

Hi Christian,

I'm a little confused here - you started off taking 25mg the first week, then the doctor advised you to take 50mg the second week. Have you decided to increase your dose to 100mg without consulting the doctor first? Remember that medications work in different ways for different people so just because someone else has found sertraline helpful doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you. The only way to find out whether it will suit you is to take it and see what happens. You do need to give your body time to get used to the drug and the majority of side effects should wear off in the first few weeks. Yes, it is fine to take it long-term - I've been told I will need to take antidepressants for life and I'm happy with this as I don't experience any side effects and I hope it will ward off any potential relapses. NICE (National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence) recommends that when someone finds a suitable antidepressant, they should continue taking it for at least a year to maintain their progress. The important thing to remember is that you consult the doctor before coming off your medication and you reduce your dose gradually under medical supervision to reduce the likelihood of withdrawal symptoms.

Sarah

Guest Hockey30

Hi Christian002. I am on Sertraline (150mg) and what I will tell you is the side effects you are experiencing are completely normal, I have had all of them. The tiredness and yawning was very bad to begin with. I also lost my appetite and felt like I was on edge constantly for a few weeks. It will settle down once you are on a specific dosage for a while. I cant speak for the sexual side effects as mine seem fine, but I have heard that it can be quite a problem, especially for women. It can be a long term and a short term med depending on what progress you are making. If it gets to a point where you believe you have a complete handle on your OCD then you could look towards coming off them. However, some people find that there OCD symptons can only be kept in check with the aid of medication. Either way, there is no shame in taking medication at all!

Guest Christian002
Hi Christian,

I'm a little confused here - you started off taking 25mg the first week, then the doctor advised you to take 50mg the second week. Have you decided to increase your dose to 100mg without consulting the doctor first? Remember that medications work in different ways for different people so just because someone else has found sertraline helpful doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you. The only way to find out whether it will suit you is to take it and see what happens. You do need to give your body time to get used to the drug and the majority of side effects should wear off in the first few weeks. Yes, it is fine to take it long-term - I've been told I will need to take antidepressants for life and I'm happy with this as I don't experience any side effects and I hope it will ward off any potential relapses. NICE (National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence) recommends that when someone finds a suitable antidepressant, they should continue taking it for at least a year to maintain their progress. The important thing to remember is that you consult the doctor before coming off your medication and you reduce your dose gradually under medical supervision to reduce the likelihood of withdrawal symptoms.

Sarah

Hi Sara

Thanks for the advice. I really do hope the side effects wear off as Ive had a really bad headache all afternoon which I believe is from increasing my dose this morning (along with the drowsiness). I suppose its just trial and error with meds like you said. I think I must of made a typing mistake somewhere, as I never got put on 25mg, it should have said 50mg. On my box it says they are 50mg, and to take 1 a day for a week then 2 a day in the second week (today being my second week) Once again thankyou for the replies and support I appreciate that you give your own time to reply to these :)

Guest bluecanary

Hi Christian,

I've been on 50mg of sertraline for a while now, and I don't recall that I had any major side effects from it, but a change in dosage will definitely do that to you. As others have mentioned, I think the side effects will go away once your body adjusts. I did have the "bedroom" side effects with it at one point when I was taking it years ago, and my doctor added Wellbutrin to counteract it - worked like a charm for me. Everyone's different, but if it persists I'd ask your doctor what he/she thinks.

Guest Christian002

Hi bluecanary

Thanks for the reply. I'm gonna give it another week I think, just to see if the headache and other side effects subside. If not I'll go back to the doctors to ask if their is anything he can do. The headache was here again today but not as bad as yesterday. Infact it's more of a dizzy feeling than a headache. Pleased to hear you was fortunate to not suffer so much with side effects. How are things for you now and ocd?

Hiya,

I've been on Sertaline 50mg for a bit now. I've mainly felt dizzy, nauseous and headachey. Also, my anxiety/OCD has gotten much worse. (More nasty thoughts than usual, being too scared to go to the loo at night, more ritualized urges etc) and i hope they die down soon, this is horrible at the minute.

However it takes about 3/4 hours to kick in properly, and the only way i can describe how i feel is like a zombie - not wanting to move, head fixated on the TV screen etc. Oh and its been knocking me out too, (if i take it before bed, i sleep all the way through) - which i suppose is a good thing.

Hope this helps! x