New Channel 4 series "Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners"

Guest sarah1984

We’d like to reassure you that the programme does in no way trivialise Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and the profound impact it can have on people’s lives.

Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners features people who are, by their own admission and to varying degrees, obsessed with cleaning. Those taking part in the programme either have a diagnosis of OCD, or appear to show symptoms of the condition, or might simply classify themselves as extreme cleaners. We are hoping to show in the programme that some people with OCD manage their condition, function well and are able to control their anxieties.

The series doesn’t feature anyone with severe OCD who may find the process of immersion in a messy house, where they lack control and are unable to perform their rituals, distressing. The language used throughout the programme will distinguish between the contributors with and without diagnosis of OCD, so viewers understand the difference.

Utter lies, rubbish, etc etc. I made myself watch this programme and saw NO distinction made between someone with OCD and an "obsessive cleaner". They seemed to use the words "OCD" and "obsessive" interchangeably throughout the programme. The mind boggles that they feel it's OK to produce a programme like this. I would like for them to live my life for just one day - from the OCD-induced nightmares of the night, to the twelve baths of the day, to the 45 minutes it takes me to have a wee at work, to the skin reactions I have from putting it into contact with neat cleaning solution, to the despair of believing I have cheated on my husband during a conversation with my boss, to the abject of terror of becoming a mum, something I dearly want, because I fear I might harm my own baby.

oh no, Jo some people are so ignorant, i was afraid that things like this would happen :(

I wish that every person that says that could be given an hour of feeling what its like to have ocd, then they would shut up and realise what hell it really is

take care, hugs xxxx

I know you do Mel :hug:. People seem finally to have realised that they can't take the mick out of people of different races, or people of a different sexual orientation to them, or people in wheelchairs. But mental illness, OCD in particular, appears still to be "socially acceptable" to laugh at, to ridicule. It's almost ironic - I spend my days trying to protect other people from harm, even these idiots. If I bumped into the programme maker tomorrow, I'd still wash until my skin cracks in order to "protect" him/her from harm. It's a shame they feel no such compassion.

Guest cookiemixer

OCD Ireland has just put up a statement on their face book page and it supports OCD UK. Not a good program at all.....Terribly sad to see how little some people understood the impact this was having no them

I thought it was pretty poor tbh, & there is now all kinds of stuff flying about! Lots now thinking they have OCD, loads laughing at OCD, & lots of concern on mumsnet i think about bleach fumes & young children & so on.

sensible review in the Telegraph - not a paper i would normally read but just tried to find some reviews of the programme

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/9868378/Obsessive-Compulsive-Cleaners-Channel-4-review.html

included was a real understanding of the damage of this programme :

What you can do is to find out the effects of OCD on people, and not to indulge in a television fantasy that puts them on a level with dancing dogs"

Edited by Mel1971

Speechless! I am absolutely raging!

I will also be emailing my complaints and won't stop until I get a decent reply - I can feel the same rage from others on this thread, it's unbelievable isn't it!

I have just told my best mate and my parents after 26 years and they all trivialised it in exactly the same way this programme has - I try to tell them different and then this **** is aired!

Is there anything we can do as a collective? petition? lobbying? I am working from home at the moment campiagning for improvements in mental health services and am MORE than happy to help set something up / get involved.

I just feel this needs a response - a response that needs to be recognised on TV, either by removing the programme, an apology, some type of review / public statement / article??

Any thoughts??

Grrr, I'm really really fuming :wallbash:

Complete and utter rubbish, I had to turn it off. Even without the OCD issues, it wasn't watchable.

I agree with Mel the Telegraph review was really well written and totally agree when he said 'its like saying that someone with anorexia loves slimming'!

I just hope the lady Ashley spoke to doesnt regret taking part.

My Dad is obsessively tidy, but thats it, no OCD!

Just found their interviews on the Channel 4 website:

Michelle - no formal diagnosis

Michele: My advice to people with OCD is that we need to be more rational and put things into perspective. What's the worst that can happen if we don't clean every day? Nothing bad can happen; it's all in the mind. (So we need to tell ourselves.)

Guest OCD-UK RSS

Last week we published our concerns about the Channel 4 programme, Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners, which was broadcast last night, the first of a six part series. Like many of the OCD community that have contacted us last night and this morning about the trivialisation of OCD, we share your frustration and anger.

We will take stock of the damage that may have been done and read your comments throughout the day, and release a further statement later this evening.

Tags: 

View the article on the OCD-UK website

I watched this program last night. I was horrified to find that they did not recognise the severity of the condition in the people involved in the program. To the extent that they were reinforcing the sufferers' compulsive behaviours by making out that they were useful to the sufferer and people around them. Some of the actions were dangerous to health and the entire show was totally insensitive to the fact that these people need help to beat their OCD.

I've not watched it, but I feel I have the gist of it enough to spam complaints around social networking sites. If there's any group things, I'd be more than happy to get involved.

Hi, this is the reply I received to the complaint I sent to C4 last night - so I think that's been filed under B for BIN then! :wallbash:

Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries regarding OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE CLEANERS.

We are sorry to hear that you find this programme disgraceful and misrepresentative of people with OCD. Please be assured your complaint has been logged and noted for the information of those responsible for our programming.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us. We appreciate all feedback from our viewers; complimentary or otherwise.

Regards,
Edited by LondonTown

Congratulations Channel 4. You have shamelessly added to the ignorance and stereotypes of OCD, that we are a bunch of loonies who should be "put to use" cleaning up after the nation. Utterly disgraceful. I thought this was the 21st century? We sufferers go through sheer hell on a daily basis, often to try to protect other people, and you see fit to humiliate us like this? Would you make a programme like this about cancer or diabetes? Of course you wouldn't. But mental health, in particular OCD, is fair game? Shameful, utterly disgraceful.

Should I just be entertained rather than distressed by my belief that if I don't clean enough then someone will get ill or die? Or how about the paedophilia fears? I know - let's make a programme where I am turned into a child-minder. The three million panic attacks I have in the process should be entertaining to watch. Never mind that OCD has left me physically and mentally scarred; never mind that every day people attempt or commit suicide from this awful illness, this disorder that has been described by the World Health Organisation as being one of the top ten most debilitating in the world.

I am gobsmacked. I thought we'd left the "laugh at the loonies" mentality back in the 19th century. Yet another example of mental health stigma. Next time I'm suicidal over my thoughts I'll try to see them as entertainment for the masses.

Jo can we quote parts of this on our website?

Hi, this is the reply I received to the complaint I sent to C4 last night - so I think that's been filed under B for BIN then! :wallbash:

Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries regarding OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE CLEANERS.

We are sorry to hear that you find this programme disgraceful and misrepresentative of people with OCD. Please be assured your complaint has been logged and noted for the information of those responsible for our programming.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us. We appreciate all feedback from our viewers; complimentary or otherwise.

Regards,

I am willing to bet that same standard reply will be sent to everyone who complains to channel 4. We have written to the channel 4 disability advisor once more and urged them to rethink future episodes (they won't because of the cost). Should they choose to proceed with the further episodes then we will be contacting Ofcom. We are also going to write to all those companies that advertised during the programme to urge them to pull their adverts from future episodes. We urge others to do the same.

Being realistic, this is all we can do, but I am not sure unless thousands complain they will listen.

I would love to know how everyone involved in the series were approached, or applied to take part in this, & what pay they received & so on, & Linda in particular. (& NO I don`t want to appear in next series lol)

I just find it hard to believe that Linda is not more sympathetic & knowledgable of OCD if she genuinly has been diagnosed with 'any' type of OCD? Is this something Ofcom might be able to clarify perhaps?

EDIT; I am struggling to word this better, & will amend later.

Edited by felix4