Ignoring an overwhelming thought?

Guest regainyourself

Guest regainyourself

I've been told by many that the best way to overcome an intrusive thought is to go "NO, this thought is stupid", then attempt to distract one's self and ignore it.

But what if the thought it overwhelming and prominent in my mind?

What's a good way of descaling it and regaining control over it?

W x

Guest eternallymissed

I would slightly rephrase the way of dealing with it.

I try and think 'this is ocd' (if it feels like ocd, then it is), and I don't think

I necessarily try to ignore it as such, because if I try to ignore it, I just

seem to make it stay even more.

I've been struggling with some thoughts recently, in this case, trying to avoid

the compulsion to research the particular fear I have, mainly, I have tried to say

to myself, 'if you don't do the compulsion, and don't ruminate on the thought too

much, it will get better eventually'.

It's been a long process, but it's been a ot better this week, still needing to resist a

bit, though, so it's no quick fix.

I do think trying to do activities to fill up your spare time can be benificial, particularly

if it is physical activity. Hope you feel better soon x

Guest regainyourself

The thought is a real event that happened to someone in the past, so it doesn't really 'feel' like OCD because I'm stubborn about it.

And I've thought about it, reasoned with it, and exhausted it so much that it's frankly time I just gave up thinking about it.

That more attention I give it, the worse it gets. So I basically just need to remove all value from it, and descale so I can just discard or ignore it. I just don't know how, because it feels like my defense has been broken and I can't stop thinking about it :(

Do I just think - "the past is the past, and it's a waste of energy to think about it"? It just makes me sad and tired to think about it, but in the moments when I don't think about it I feel strangely free and happy.

Any thoughts?

Guest eternallymissed

Do I just think - "the past is the past, and it's a waste of energy to think about it"? It just makes me sad and tired to think about it, but in the moments when I don't think about it I feel strangely free and happy.

Any thoughts?

Yes, I think that is the answer.

The past IS the past, and your ocd is just using it as another obsession.

I hope you manage to overcome this, and feel better soon x

Guest regainyourself

I was doing really well for about two weeks but then something triggered it again on Monday and yesterday was hell.

It's like I think "it's an OCD thought, you can get over it" but then suddenly my mind goes "yes, but it hadn't in real life, so you have to keep thinking about it"

:(

Drives me mad! The thought is something that genuinely upsets me in real life, but it's unhealthy to think of it this much.