2013 National OCD Conference - Newcastle

Guest OCD-UK RSS

Is there anyone else going from the Surrey/Hants/Bershire area,please,also does anyone know how long it would take by train say from London,and if it could be done in a day,as my ocd too bad at the moment to stay overnight on my own.Don't really know if i could travel yet but would love to be able to be there.

Many thanks.

Hi Daisy,

I think it would be a bit too much to travel there and back on the Saturday from the South, it would mean a 6:15am or 7:00am train from Kings Cross to get there for the 10am start I am afraid. Is staying overnight on the Friday a step too far for you at the moment?

Ashley.

Hi Ashley, thanks for your reply,yes it would be too much to consider staying overnight at the moment,to be honest i am in a real bad way,i have been for years but am just getting worse,but i will look forward to hopefully hearing some of the speakers if you manage to get them recorded.

Thanks again,and i would just like to say you are doing a brilliant job on here,i am so glad i joined.

Thank you for your kind words Daisy, sorry you won't be able to make it. You could always join us for the second part of the day, if it is worth coming all that way just for part of it.

Hi :)

This is my first time going. Really excited!

What would I expect to be happening as a young person suffering with OCD?

I look forward to meeting you Citrus, we don't specifically target the conference for any age range, but both Lottie and Niki that are speaking this year could be classed 'young'.. just ;) But hopefully you will find part of the day informative and inspiring in your fight against the OCD :)

I hope to confirm the fill agenda later today or tomorrow, but here is a summary.

• 6 OCD Action Points (Dr Stephanie Fitzgerald will be presenting the 'Action points' via video recordings)

• 4 OCD Expert Presentations (Presented by Prof Mark Freeston, Prof Paul Salkovskis, Dr Claire Lomax)

• 3 first hand experiences (Charlotte, Karen and Niki)

Expert Presentations

When OCD and religion get entangled

Family factors involved

CBT, it's not what you think it is!

How to get the best out of psychological treatment

Guest Charlotte

I look forward to meeting you Citrus, we don't specifically target the conference for any age range, but both Lottie and Niki that are speaking this year could be classed 'young'.. just ;)

Excuse me Ashley, I think you'll find that I am still in my early twenties... (just)!

Citrus - look forward to meeting you!

Guest CitrusHorizon

Haha thank you :)

I've spoken to Lottie about the conference. I think we are going to speak to one and other about the Young People Guide. I said I would be interested in helping her with it. :)

Hi I've been following all this with interest. And you are only as old as you feel, people!!!! I've got a long way on all of you, yet I walk 15-20 miles a week and go down the gym/pool at least once a week!

I'm fond of Newcastle, like staying in hotels, and would like to meet you all - and Paul Salkovskis - my therapist has told me a lot about Paul's work on OCD thoughts - but this year its not going to happen for me, as I am extremely tied up with my work and short staffing and get very tired at weekends despite the pretty good train service out of King's Cross from here in North London .

But I am planning to have retired by this time next year, so I'll think about making the conference- wherever it may be - then, and maybe bring my wife with me.

It's interesting that most people on these forums are quite young.I'm thinking that means that as we get older we get less intrusive ocd thoughts which must be an important inspirational point for most young people dealing with this.(Me and you taureen can cry on each others shoulders lol).Seriously we should try to find out what we have done differently that has kept it going when others have managed to get over it and try to pass the message on to the professionals

Guest Sarah333

Hi all :-)

New to the forum.

We have just become members of OCD and purchased tickets for the conference.

We are really looking forward to it. I myself have lived with OCD for years but am now waiting for CBT sessions to begin.

Looking forward to meeting all of you there :-)

Sarah x

Funny you should say that Lovid, I am self-conscious about aspect of my looks, but I don't over-worry about it so I am sure it is not BDD.

Anyway, I am busy prepping today for Saturday's conference, we have about 150 booked for the event, and I am looking forward to meeting some of you there. Still time to book http://www.ocduk.org/newcastle

Ashley :)

Apparently it's normal for everyone to be a bit self conscious of how they look.The northumbria university building will be good when they take the scaffolding down lol.No that's not fair.It looks great.Much better than the old one on sandyford road that I used to go to.It was divided into lots of different buildings and was quite run down.I'll be interested to see what it's like inside

I'm disappointed not to be able to come this year but I'm abroad visiting family - otherwise I'd be up there like a shot and running round with the microphone in the Q&A sessions (my favourite job)!

I won't have forgotten OCD as I'll actually be attending the Brisbane (Australia) OCD Support Group on the same day! We're 10 hours ahead here though and I'll be there 4am-6am UK time so not quite coinciding with the conference but I'll try to mention it!

I hope all goes very well.

Stephen

best of luck to all those are helping , and to those that are attending

wont be there myself :( , but if its half as good as previous ones ive attended, then im sure you will all come away very surprised on what a brilliant ocd conference it is .

take care

legend :)

Just got in after getting absolutely soaked.Had an amazing time meeting some of the people from ocduk.Met Niki who was one of the presenters and Charlotte,Kyli,prof Paul,Ashley,and Northern star all of whom are lovely people to know.It's a very good feeling to be with people who are so dedicated to helping others to overcome this thing.

Hi everyone, this is my 1st post. I too attended the conference today and am so glad i made the 575 miles return trip to hear and meet such warm, courageous , inspirational people. I have received encouraging advice for which i am truly grateful for.

I'm newly diagnosed and happened to be living in Newcastle so I came along - I'm much more comfortable with the thought of recovery now. Thank you OCD UK for organising this.

Thank you so much for all your kind words.

To be honest, because I am so busy during the day of the conference I don't really get chance to gauge a sense if we are achieving an event which is uplifting and helpful for our guests and even now, two days later because I am yet to review the feedback forms I was not sure. Coming on here reading your posts is so uplifting for me knowing that I think our team is getting it right.

I am already working on plans for 2014, and I have three inspirational speakers in mind, including two new speakers, so I will be approaching them this week to see if they are interested in speaking next year.

It was lovely meeting some of you, and as always I have to finish by thanking my volunteers, speakers and team, without them the conference would not be possible, so thank you to all involved in helping make the conference happen, and of course, to all those that attended.

Ashley :)