Feeling resigned

Guest alpha

Guest alpha

Hi Everyone,

Hhhhmm, feel nervous as I don't usually start topics on here, just reply to some. :help:

I just feel such a sense of resignation at the moment. Resigned to the fact that it's hard to continually do all the techniques and therapy for OCD. I know what I have to do, well, some of the time anyway :censored: , it's just such hard work sometimes. There's no easy option with OCD is there? It makes me angry that despite everything I've read and done in therapy, OCD can still tie my mind into such knots sometimes.

I know over time OCD gets better with CBT, that's very true, but there are still some times when it does it's best to snare you. For me, it's that feeling that I have to learn to live with it and it's never all going to be crystal clear and "sorted". :thumbup: I'm going through a bit of stress at the moment, and will be in the next few months, so I guess I must just expect the OCD to be worse - try anticipate it and get on with it. I'm thinking of just muddling along through it the next few months (as I'm going to be really busy) and not working too hard on resisting the OCD.

Whatcha'reckon? Is this the wrong thing to do?

Thanks for reading.

Guest summerleft

hiya

I know exactly what you mean OCD is hard to resist even when your doing the CBT and all the right things, you might find that as you have more to occupy your mind your OCD wont get any worse.

But i think also that not trying to resist it over the next few months may well put you back in your atempts.

I guess my advice would be take each day as it comes, have your copy of brain lock to hand and do the best you can.

Guest Smudger

Hi alpha. :)

I agree with summerleft-take each day as it comes.

You know that your life is in a bit of upheaval at the moment, and that now is the perfect time for your ocd to take advantage of the fact. I think you need to be prepared to go a bit easier on yourself than normal-in times where you have extra pressure bearing down on you, it will be harder to deal with the ocd, and you may get frustrated/upset because what was working so well for you previously isn't at the mo, and that can lead to the thoughts of "I've failed/things will never get better" etc. Accept that things may be a little more up and down than normal, but not because you're losing the battle-because you're just having to deal with a lot of extra stress that even those without ocd would be greatly affected by.

You have us, so there's no need to go it alone. :)

Hi Alpha,

Hope you're feeling a bit better by now :). OCD is an annoying blighter which will try to rear its ugly head when it can but the techniques you have learnt in therapy will help to combat it. As time goes on and you practise the techniques you learnt then hopefully it should become easier to keep the OCD under control. :)

I'm thinking of just muddling along through it the next few months (as I'm going to be really busy) and not working too hard on resisting the OCD.

Whatcha'reckon? Is this the wrong thing to do?

To be honest I think it's an OK thing to do (I might get shouted at for saying this :)) but I think there are times, especially when you have other stressors in your life, when sometimes you just have to accept the OCD. However, having said that, then when there are times you feel able to fight the OCD then do so, try not to let it win all the time.

Hope that helps :(. Stay strong :)

Guest alpha

Hi All,

Accept that things may be a little more up and down than normal, but not because you're losing the battle-because you're just having to deal with a lot of extra stress that even those without ocd would be greatly affected by.

This is so true, thanks for pointing it out to me.

Thanks too Summerleft and NS, for your advice, it is much appreciated.

Alpha