new

Guest lanie

Guest lanie

hi,

i am a bit scared about writing this. i have only just admitted to myself that i have ocd. i have had disturbing thoughts for about ten years but have never told anyone for fear of being locked away for being crazy. the only person i have told recently is my boyfriend and he has been so helpful. even my family dont know about it. anyway i have finally decided to do something about it. i havent seen a doctor but im thinking i should. any advice? thanks

Hi Lanie :)

:). It's a fab first step that you've made posting on here and telling your boyfriend :) . I know when I first found this place I was so relieved that I wasn't alone and that there were other people out there who understood what I was going through.

It is a good idea to see your doctor so that you can get a referral for CBT (cognitive-behavioural therapy). Unfortunately there are often long waiting lists for CBT, it depends on your local area really. There are some good self-help resources out there as well. One of the books which is widely regarded to be one of the best for helping with OCD is called 'Brain Lock' by an American doctor called Dr Jeffrey Schwartz.

Hope this helps and feel free to post anytime. Everyone here is very friendly and helpful :).

Guest lanie

thanks northern star,

i was so nervous about this! i really dont know what to say to my doctor. do you have therapy?

Hi Lanie :)

:). It's a fab first step that you've made posting on here and telling your boyfriend  :) . I know when I first found this place I was so relieved that I wasn't alone and that there were other people out there who understood what I was going through.

It is a good idea to see your doctor so that you can get a referral for CBT (cognitive-behavioural therapy). Unfortunately there are often long waiting lists for CBT, it depends on your local area really. There are some good self-help resources out there as well. One of the books which is widely regarded to be one of the best for helping with OCD is called 'Brain Lock' by an American doctor called Dr Jeffrey Schwartz.

Hope this helps and feel free to post anytime. Everyone here is very friendly and helpful :).

48298[/snapback]

Hiya :)

I see a psychologist, just started with her a few weeks ago. My referral was for OCD but when she assessed me it turned out that it was the depression that needs to be worked on first for me because that is what is worse at the mo. She has said that OCD, though, is very treatable and that once we have lessened the depression then we're going to work on the OCD :).

Guest Steviemfc

Hi Lanie,

Welcome to the boards. In my opinion you have made a massive stride in combating OCD by talking to your boyfriend about your condition. I found that this really helped me. Being able to communicate with people who are understanding and supportive, instead of bottling everything up, was a godsend for me and hopefully for you too.

Your next step must be to go and see your GP, from where you will start to receive the therapy and medication required.

Keep up the good work.

Stevie

Guest hope125
hi,

i am a bit scared about writing this.  i have only just admitted to myself that i have ocd.  i have had disturbing thoughts for about ten years but have never told anyone for fear of being locked away for being crazy.  the only person i have told recently is my boyfriend and he has been so helpful.  even my family dont know about it.  anyway i have finally decided to do something about it.  i havent seen a doctor but im thinking i should.  any advice? thanks

48297[/snapback]

Hi Lanie,

welcome to the board! echoing everybody elses posts - You've made a great first couple of steps!

look forward to chatting with you.

hope

xxxxx

Guest tattyhead

Hi and welcome

Well done for posting and taking the first step. I to was fearful of being locked up thinking I was going crazy. :thumbup:

You will find a lot of like minded people here. Like you I suffer with disturbing thoughts.

See your GP - i am on meds and see a counsellor and awaiting CBT. Every thing you do no matter how small will help you.

Post anytime

Jane :thumbup:

Hi lanie

You should be proud of yourself! We all know how difficult ocd can be but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I've had ocd for as long as I can remember but like you I thought people would judge my thoughts and think I was crazy, but now I've got people around me who are very supportive. I only recently started using this message board and I find that other suffers are good to talk to because they understand exactly how I feel. It has been a comfort to me as it will be to you. Be strong and remember you are not alone.

Take Care

Rac.xx :thumbup:

Hi Lanie

Welcome to the boards.

It's very common for people to suffer for a long time whilst not knowing what on earth is wrong with them, it was over 21 years before I had a name for my fearful thoughts. Well done for making your first post and for sharing your fears with your boyfriend, he'll be a useful help and support to you.

I'm sure you'll find the boards very helpful, the home page has a host of useful information and links, I'm sure you'll find much of it helpful. All our members are very supportive and I can assure you that there is nothing that you can say that will be unusual to us, you'll quickly find that the problem that you thought was "Just You" is shared by many of us.

Look forward to speaking with you

Caramoole :thumbup:

Guest lanie

Hi everyone,

thank you so much for being so nice!!! i cant believe i havent done this earlier. Just letting you know that i plucked up the courage to make an appointment at my doctors. My appointment is next week. thanks for the support. i really am scared about the appointment though, i havent got a clue what i should say?

Guest Dragonfruit

Hi again Lanie

Just letting you know that i plucked up the courage to make an appointment at my doctors.  My appointment is next week. 

48634[/snapback]

Fantastic! Well done! That's another huge step!!! :thumbup:

i really am scared about the appointment though

48634[/snapback]

That's totally normal and nothing we say will prob stop you feeling slightly nervous - BUT I'm sure it'll be absolutely fine and you'll feel a tonne better once you've been

i havent got a clue what i should say?

48634[/snapback]

The best advice I can give is to be as honest as you can. Write some notes to take in with you so that you can be sure to have mentioned the main points (it can sometimes get a bit on-top-of-you and it's useful to have a reminder to refer to). Also maybe take some info from the site with you. ALL GP's should know what OCD is - but there are some who need a bit of a nudge - better to be prepared than not.

The main thing you want from your GP is a referral to a psychiatrist who can properly diagnose the OCD and determine a practical treatment plan with you.

I don't like to say "Good Luck" cos it kind of implies you need luck!! And I'm sure you won't - but - hope it goes well - let us know :)

Guest kirk27

Hello. lanie

well i agree with the others only my sister and a few pals know about my ocd

i was worried about going to my GP but it was a good step.

it will be ok.

kirk